Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New pistol advice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I'd still would like to know why you're engaging a safety on a DA/SA pistol. You do realize it isn't needed?
    Yes. The only reason I considered it was if I decided to try AIWB and for admin handling.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Yes. The only reason I considered it was if I decided to try AIWB and for admin handling.
    It's pretty apparent that you're not familiar with DA/SA pistols. If you're worried by an AD during reholstering, place your gun hand thumb over the hammer. You will not only know immediately if something is fouling the trigger, you'll also automatically stop doing what you're doing.

As far as "admin" handling keep your finger off the trigger. If you can't do that 1000% of the time, you have some training issues to fix.

Millions of people manage just fine the world over with DA/SA handguns that have no manual safety. I, in fact, consider them a liability.

Your ovethinking of this is bordering on derp.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-16-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    It's pretty apparent that you're not familiar with DA/SA pistols. If you're worried by an AD during reholstering, place your gun hand thumb over the hammer. You will not only know immediately if something is fouling the trigger, you'll also automatically stop doing what you're doing.

As far as "admin" handling keep your finger off the trigger. If you can't do that 1000% of the time, you have some training issues to fix.

Your ovethinking of this is bordering on derp.

Thumb on the hammer is something I preach to all, and advise Glock users to look at the gadget.

Dude overthinking is fun! You get to start threads that have been started by dozens of other people who have asked the same thing, but you think maybe JUST maybe I'll ask something they didn't.

Plus D.E.R.P= Dude Editing Real Posts! It's the best I could come up with pre taco but post burrito.

On a serious note, I appreciate everyone's responses to my questions.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-16-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Having spent several decades devoted to the 1911, I'd consider the SA loaded to be unsuitable for anything other than range use. The quality simply isn't up to a serious standard. For that you'd need to move up to TRP/Operator level, which is expensive. The 1911 is also a rabbit hole one really doesn't need to go down. I now regret being so devoted to the type for so long. I passed on a lot of pretty good handguns that would have served me just as well, but with far less attention.

My EDC for the last five years has been the Beretta 92, so I might be a little biased towards the compact. However, for my uses I haven't found anything the compact is better at than the full size 92. But, I'm a big guy with big hands so that undoubtedly influences my choice.

Can't comment on the P07 since I haven't shot one, but every CZ I've owned has been a real shooter.

Don't fall victim to analysis paralysis. Pick a gun, then concentrate on the really important stuff.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-16-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I say try a CZ PCR or P-01. The PCR is marginally thinner and lacks the blunt or wide front end because of the P-01's rail. I have both. They are most similar and do the same thing. The PCR has a nifty loaded round indicator that I thought I would hate but like. And, no, it's not a necessary item. Both are decockers. Both have target accuracy. Both are over sprung but will lighten up with use. The brand has good customer support. Some have many internal tool marks that have no effect on reliability or function. Resist temptation to replace factory springs with lighter ones. Buy an extra trigger return spring as a spare. I reserve the PCR for carrying and use the P-01 as a crash dummy meaning that I shoot very heavy cast bullet reloads through it for busting dirt clods, rocks, and stumps. Then when I get too old to shoot, I will sell it to The Newbie so he can shoot hot loads through it for the next 30 or 40 years and then pass it on to his grandkids who may wear it out. Buy the P-01 first.

Come over to my side of town and you can put some rounds down range with my full size Px4 and PX4C.

I’m moving towards the P-07/09 because I think it’s better set up for a dot.

The TJIAB PX4 trigger is far superior to the CGW pro grade trigger kit, tho my CGW kit is finally starting to smooth out acceptably.
    Last edited by David S.; 03-17-2019 at 04:52 AM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Newbie - yes, the Px4C will fit in any holster made for the FS.

I am going to differ with you on this. The compact, by default is ambidextrous. If one were to convert it (slide releases/width), or buy the compact carry already done, them it might fit (however I am not at home right now to try, as I thought I tried the compact in my ALS holster and it wasn't long enough to lock in).
    To the Original poster now.

I started with the PX4 subcompact and have all three sizes. The compact is my primary gun, but I am not a LEO. The compact does shoot better for me at longer ranges, but the SC conceals a tiny bit better (things like wardrobe, other personal considerations). Most prefer the compact over the SC and don't even consider it a true PX4, because it doesn't have the rotating barrel. Both serve different needs for me.
    It has the same issue as a Rami, in grip size, but with a magazine base that solves that for me.
    The 92 compact, has grip size issues for me (where does the pinky go). The full size is a shooter/range gun, with similar controls to my carry.
    The PCR/P01 I own and like both (bought used, try other guns to see if I made the right choices for me), but they are harder for me to find available and more expensive then my PX4's. That may have changed, I could have just found a supply issue time.
    The P07, I handled and my LGS had saved for me when someone came in looking for it. I let it go. From handling it, I wasn't sure about the controls, but other then that, it was very comparable to the PX4 compact but more available then the metal CZ's. (with smaller slide/smoother controls)
    The HK that I handled, made me realize that changing gun styles, I would need multiple to adapt to that style magazine release (backup gun with same controls as normal gun).

The Compact Carry, is a factory gun, verses a gun upgraded with factory components, as far as liability is concerned (IMHO). What EL did was common over at the Beretta forum, with the exception of the slide color and getting different sights made. I had the rear drilled on two of mine and vials inserted by Tooltech. I work at night enough and am in mixed light environments, that nights sights are a personal requirement (still wish that was offered) and I am not good enough with paint, to cover the white on Trij three dot.
    I have not handled a Sig yet (want something like a 229). For me, gun budget was important more then. All my PX4's were bought for less then $460 after transfer. Otherwise I would have had less ammo budget.

I agree the most important thing is to pick one, but don't forget range rentals, that may help narrow down selection.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I am going to differ with you on this. The compact, by default is ambidextrous. If one were to convert it (slide releases/width), or buy the compact carry already done, them it might fit (however I am not at home right now to try, as I thought I tried the compact in my ALS holster and it wasn't long enough to lock in).
    Interesting. My Px4C fit into all the FS holsters I tried with it. I'm especially interested in the ALS issue - since the ALS "locks" onto the ejection port - which is in the same place relative to the trigger guard on both the FS and C. But, I sold my Px4 and holsters down the road, so, I'll take your current experience as gospel!

On the issue of specific guns, I hate to make recommendations, because what "works" for me may and probably will not work for the OP. But, I've owned, fired and tested, side by side, the Px4C, P07, P2000, P30, P228, along with the striker-fired M&Ps, VP9, CZ P10C, several variants of the P320, and the G19 (Gen4 and Gen5).

Of the hammer fired guns, I found the trigger "feel" or quality (weight, smoothness, lack of stacking, etc) to be, in descending order: P228 (a very well "broken in" model that's nearly 30 years old at this point), Px4C, P07 then P30/P2000.

As far as grip "feel" for the hammer fired guns (what FELT best in MY hand), it was P30, P228, Px4C, P2000 and P07 (really a close tie on the last two).

As far as shooting PERFORMANCE (best practical and repeatable accuracy, best shot recovery when running timed drills, etc) for hammer fired guns, it was P07 (the strong leader), P2000, P228, Px4C, then the P30.

What does all of this mean? For ME, it means the gun that "felt" nearly worst in my hand, and had close to the "worst" trigger while dry firing, shot SIGNIFICANTLY better in the real world than the guns that "felt better."

As has been said ad nauseum in this and other posts like this over the years on this forum, "grip feel", "bore axis" and "trigger feel" get TONS of examination in gun stores, and tend to matter very little in SHOOTING. So I would NOT base a decision on what pistol to buy next on any subjective "feel" at the gun counter. Rent them, shoot them, and see which one "works" best for YOU.
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 03-17-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    To the Original poster now.

I started with the PX4 subcompact and have all three sizes. The compact is my primary gun, but I am not a LEO. The compact does shoot better for me at longer ranges, but the SC conceals a tiny bit better (things like wardrobe, other personal considerations). Most prefer the compact over the SC and don't even consider it a true PX4, because it doesn't have the rotating barrel. Both serve different needs for me.
    It has the same issue as a Rami, in grip size, but with a magazine base that solves that for me.
    The 92 compact, has grip size issues for me (where does the pinky go). The full size is a shooter/range gun, with similar controls to my carry.
    The PCR/P01 I own and like both (bought used, try other guns to see if I made the right choices for me), but they are harder for me to find available and more expensive then my PX4's. That may have changed, I could have just found a supply issue time.
    The P07, I handled and my LGS had saved for me when someone came in looking for it. I let it go. From handling it, I wasn't sure about the controls, but other then that, it was very comparable to the PX4 compact but more available then the metal CZ's. (with smaller slide/smoother controls)
    The HK that I handled, made me realize that changing gun styles, I would need multiple to adapt to that style magazine release (backup gun with same controls as normal gun).

The Compact Carry, is a factory gun, verses a gun upgraded with factory components, as far as liability is concerned (IMHO). What EL did was common over at the Beretta forum, with the exception of the slide color and getting different sights made. I had the rear drilled on two of mine and vials inserted by Tooltech. I work at night enough and am in mixed light environments, that nights sights are a personal requirement (still wish that was offered) and I am not good enough with paint, to cover the white on Trij three dot.
    I have not handled a Sig yet (want something like a 229). For me, gun budget was important more then. All my PX4's were bought for less then $460 after transfer. Otherwise I would have had less ammo budget.

I agree the most important thing is to pick one, but don't forget range rentals, that may help narrow down selection.
    My PX4C will not fit in the Safariland ALS holster for the full size PX4.

Site Supporter
    There’s a couple of spots where the PX4CC is a little too big to seat in the full size ALS, but it can be made to work.

On mine, I scraped away a bit of the suede liner near the rear sight, then used a touch from a heat gun to create some space for the slide corners near the muzzle. It works great now. No changes to the ALS mechanism were required.

User Tag List