Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New pistol advice

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    One of the drawbacks I've noted in the past re the 92C is the fixed front sight. Have you guys come up with a work around?
    Not really. Even adding hi-vis paint leaves me wanting. I shoot my 92C OK, I just don’t like the lack of options with the front sight. Way out of step with today’s world and sight options.

After a very long journey, I have settled on the P-07 as my carry gun of choice.

The action breaks in nicely, after some dryfire and lubrication. You can install a CGW ProGrade kit if you care a lot about trigger feel. Make sure to compare triggers while pressing them at a realistic speed.

I use a rubbery grip decal to address the slippery upper side panels.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    TheNewbie,

Duke has a great deal on a PX4CC package posted in the for sale thread!

Just saying...

Site Supporter
    If a full-size 1911 is under consideration, then I think a P30 family would also fall within the acceptable size range. I like mine more than I ever expected to, and I've started to think about trying a P2000.

I have a CZ75 Omega which shares a trigger with the P-07/09. I much prefer the HK trigger to the CZ. The CX4 has a better trigger than the P30, but I prefer the ergonomics of the P30. Regardless, lots of good options out there

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I tried a full size 92 out today. I can activate the safety, but not reliably enough to inspire serious use confidence. I suspect the 92 compact safety would be the same, and thus a safety equipped model is a no go for me.

The 92 did balance amazingly well though, and it makes me wish the 92D was still in production.

An ALS holster can be found for the PX4 full sized, but not the compact. Will a PX4 compact fit in a full size holster?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I tried a full size 92 out today. I can activate the safety, but not reliably enough to inspire serious use confidence. I suspect the 92 compact safety would be the same, and thus a safety equipped model is a no go for me.
    Why are you engaging the safety on a DA/SA pistol?

On the F and FS Berettas, flick it down to decock and immediately flick it back up off safe. Holster and go on. When you draw, press the trigger back until you hear a shot.

Or buy an F or FS 92 and swap the decocker for a G-type. Then it springs back to fire when you let it go after decocking.

Can I ask why is an ALS holster a necessity?

I think you're severely overthinking and overcomplicating this.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-16-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Why are you engaging the safety on a DA/SA pistol?

On the F and FS Berettas, flick it down to decock and immediately flick it back up off safe. Holster and go on. When you draw, press the trigger back until you hear a shot.

Or buy an F or FS 92 and swap the decocker for a G-type. Then it springs back to fire when you let it go after decocking.

Can I ask why is an ALS holster a necessity?

I think you're severely overthinking and overcomplicating this.

No question I overthink things. :P

Whatever I pick will also be my duty weapon. Therefore I much prefer having an ALS holster. Otherwise I would probably focus on the RAMI as my all around gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    No question I overthink things. :P

Whatever I pick will also be my duty weapon. Therefore I much prefer having an ALS holster. Otherwise I would probably focus on the RAMI as my all around gun.
    I'd still would like to know why you're engaging a safety on a DA/SA pistol. You do realize it isn't needed?

Newbie - yes, the Px4C will fit in any holster made for the FS.

I'll echo that carrying a DA pistol "on safe" seems to be overkill. I'm a big fan of DA pistols with decock only - like a G Beretta, "classic" Sig, the P07, P200/P30, etc.

I LOVE 1911s, but I don't even own one right now, mainly because I won't carry one at work, and I consider their manual of arms and EASE of shooting to be unique enough that I wouldn't want to mix one into a "rotation" of pistols.

The P229 would also be an option. I finally got a chance to shoot a P229 Legion and it made my Mk25 feel lame.

User Tag List