Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New pistol advice

I’d pick the CZ or your choices.

The CZ 75 Compact is a great alternative to the Beretta, as is the omega.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I know that the compact CZ75s all accept full size 75 and SP-01 magazines. I am not sure if the RAMI accepts compact and full size 75 mags.

Can someone confirm?

I'd also avoid any CZ without a decocker for primary use as a defensive pistol. Nothing wrong with them, but lowering the hammer by pressing the trigger carries some (small) risk that's eliminated by the decocker.

Manually decocking at the range, with berms, is a different deal than doing it elsewhere.

That's just my personal risk assessment though.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-15-2019 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I know that the compact CZ75s all accept full size 75 and SP-01 magazines. I am not sure if the RAMI accepts compact and full size 75 mags.

Can someone confirm?
    They accept CZ 75 magazines.

The omega I believe has the decocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I have been on a quest for the past couple of years to find a TDA pistol for off-duty carry. I have to carry Glock at work and have done so for about 20 years. Currently I have been using a G19/26/43(sometimes) for off-duty carry. All of mine have SCDs. While I am not as interested in the manual safety aspect, I would rather have a TDA gun. I went to the academy with a revolver and was first issued a TDA Smith and Wesson auto. The TDA guns are familiar feeling and as others have said bring much to the table for the task of people/threat management. All things considered, the Glocks get it done just fine but... I guess I just want to return to a TDA. I have also found that regularly shooting TDA has refined by ability to roll through the trigger and has helped my trigger press with the Glocks. Recently I've acquired samples of the 92 compact and the P-07 as well as a couple of others to see if I can find one that checks the most boxes for me. I know.... it's like unicorn spotting but here's my take:

Of the two TDA pistols you mentioned, I very much prefer the 92C trigger to the P-07. It has been given a "D" spring and is really smooth. While it may someday get at TJIB from LTT, its not needed to make the gun feel really good. 92 series guns are easy to work on. I wear good belts and holsters so weight is a non issue. The gun is accurate and reliable. I have big mitts but really like the slim grip panels from LTT. The 13 round mag is not of particular concern to me. G conversion kit makes sense to me as I've had too many instances in which I've inadvertently placed the pistol on "safe" during training. Lots of parts/holsters available. The downside for me, and remember that this is subjective, is that I cannot carry it comfortably AIWB. This is despite the use of two different high quality AIWB holsters. It is just a bit longer than what works for me. I will continue to try different holster options as I really like the 92 pistols. G19 length is about the max that feels comfortable. Using objective metrics (Super test etc) I can shoot them as well as my Glocks without any additional effort.

Enter the P-07. I really like the grip and the rest of the ergonomics. Could use a little stippling though. The controls could stand to have the sharp edges knocked off of them too. The gun fits my hand properly and shoots really well. Easy to track the front sight. Pistol is accurate and reliable. Now...we get to the trigger. The DA is horrendous. Heavy and rough. It takes a ton of concentration for me to work through it. I can deal with heavy, would just rather it be smoother. I know that there are options to fix this but I am not up to speed enough on that specific gun to tackle replacing the parts myself. Some holster/parts options. Using objective metrics, I cannot shoot the P-07 as well as my Glocks without additional effort.

For the sake of argument, I'll add two other guns to consider: PX4C/CC and HK P2000/sk (v3)

I have a PX4C that I have added most of the CC mods to. It shares all of the positives of the 92C but with a shorter slide. It has the added benefit of that rotating barrel system which as others have said make it super easy to track the front sight. They are easy to work on. So why do I not carry one of those? For some reason, I cannot get as comfortable a grip on the pistol as I do others. I can't quantify this but neither the medium nor large back straps do it for me. Standard hammer nibbles at my hand a little. Need a bobbed one from LTT. Pretty good holster and parts options. Additionally it carries a little "chunkier" than the others. But then again, I'm a little "chunkier" than others right now too so perhaps it's more me than the gun. I don't know how to describe it other than that. Using objective metrics, I can shoot them almost (slightly slower) as well as my Glocks with minimal additional effort.

The other one that I've begun to mess with right now is the P2000 series. The are a little less chunky than the PX4. They are shorter than the 92C. They have better triggers than my P-07. They are accurate, reliable and feel just plain solid. I have been to HK armorer school for them and parts are plentiful. v3 guns are easy to work on. Holster options are out there, you just have to look. I like that the P2000 is just a little shorter in the slide than the G19. Might just be the perfect length. The sk is like a hammer fired G26. The triggers are heavy but smooth. The sights look a lot like the stock Glock sights to which I have become accustomed. The front sight is a little more work to track than the PX4 but is no more difficult than the 92C. Both P guns are just smooth enough to carry comfortably both AIWB and OWB. I have just started messing with them but thus far, they are checking many of the boxes for me. We shall see what level of performance I can get from them over time.

If I were going to choose between two TDA guns that you mentioned, I would opt for the 92C and work on finding a functional holster option that fits my body better than the ones that currently have.

Sorry for rambling but I hope the additional information is useful.

One of the drawbacks I've noted in the past re the 92C is the fixed front sight. Have you guys come up with a work around?

Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    They accept CZ 75 magazines.

The omega I believe has the decocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The RAMI doesn't come with the Omega fire control. You can buy the safety version or the decocker version. But unlike the Omega pistols you can't swap from one to the other.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    One of the drawbacks I've noted in the past re the 92C is the fixed front sight. Have you guys come up with a work around?
    I just use a toothpick and place a drop of orange Testors enamel on the front sight and apply a black sharpie to the rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I just use a toothpick and place a drop of orange Testors enamel on the front sight and apply a black sharpie to the rear sight.
    Copy. Thanks. The iteration I've played with was a buddy's inox version and I found it less than desirable being the flat gray color. I suspect I'd get along better with a black version. Or one modified as you mentioned. Said buddy was looking at having his drilled and a tritium vial added at one point, but I don't believe he ever did so.

On another note, have you dabbled with a PCR? I've handled and shot a couple and found them to be imminently shootable. Just another CZ option (as mentioned above) if you're not able to work out the DA kinks with the P07 (Cajun?).

t

Site Supporter
    I have not shot one of those. Looks interesting... The P-07 would definitely benefit from some work. I have shot other stock versions which had better triggers. There seems to be a wide variation in the quality of trigger from one P-07 to another but my sample size for that analysis is 3. Hardly enough to be valid..
    Last edited by Jason M; 03-15-2019 at 10:51 AM.

User Tag List