Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burned like hell... shell on the back...

Angry Burned like hell... shell on the back...

Today's my 5th ever session with gun in my life and it happened.
    A shell flew over my head and into the collar of my shirt.
    Hurt really bad and immediately Florida guy shooting his son flashed in my brain and I first dropped (put very quickly) the gun on the table before pulling my shirt away.
    It's hurting in few places but can only see one red spot on my back.
    Looks like I need to button up when shooting.

delete...
    Last edited by Mystery; 04-26-2019 at 09:12 PM.

You did well.

Boonie style hats help a little, as well as scarves/shemaghs when you're outdoors. A t-shirt with a tight neck is best IMO, collars (like on a button down shirt) catch and hold brass.

Not sure if this is the norm for most; but I've gotten to the point where I concentrate hard enough on my shooting that hot brass down a shirt is something I notice, but does not distract. Either that or the MIG welding I do has gotten me used to being burned.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post

Not sure if this is the norm for most; but I've gotten to the point where I concentrate hard enough on my shooting that hot brass down a shirt is something I notice, but does not distract.
    When I took the NRA instructor course we were crammed too close together and by the time I finished the shooting test there were three pieces of my brass under my collar. Like you say I noticed it but it wasn't an issue. It's been decades since my first exposure to it but I think the first time it happens we make a bigger issue out of it than it is just because we don't know what to expect.

Site Supporter
    It’s pain, don’t react, focus on the drill and safe gun handling.

I sound like an asshole but that is what I try to do and are mostly successful. If you take a strike in a fight, you keep fighting or at least that is the plan.

Try some rifle brass sometime, it’ll chill out your reaction to pistol brass.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 04-26-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I like to use those moments as an opportunity to focus on continuing to shoot without being distracted by minor externalities. I have caught .308 brass in the collar from another shooter and found it to be a handy tool for rehearsing a bit of discipline.

I wouldn't sacrifice a part of my face for a lesson like that, if I caught rifle brass in my glasses, say, but a bit of sizzle on the neck is a good reminder to just relax and focus on the trigger press.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I've caught a couple- a bit of hot 9mm went into my shoe a couple of years ago. I had the presence of mind to decock my Beretta 92 and put it down before hopping around and removing the offending bit.
    A long few years before, it was M-1 carbine brass down my jacket, and that left a nice blister.

Good on ya for keeping your wits.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    It’s pain, don’t react, focus on the drill and safe gun handling.

I sound like an asshole but that is what I try to do and are mostly successful. If you take a strike in a fight, you keep fighting or at least that is the plan.

Try some rifle brass sometime, it’ll chill out your reaction to pistol brass.
    Basic Training, 5.56 brass, BDU sleeve funneled it down to my elbow.

Mystery - Kudos for keeping your brain engaged.

One of the things you learn quickly, when assisting tourists with SMG range rentals is the ejection pattern of the various models.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Indeed that can hurt a bit.

- Brimmed hat at all times, even indoors
    - Full wrap around eye pro
    - Loose Collared shirt, one button only
    - Untucked shirt tail (if brass does make it inside there is a decent chance it will fall out)
    - Long pants even though here in FL shorts are the rule weekends and lounging.

User Tag List