Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rifle Plates

Rifle Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    This is good to know, thank you for clarifying. The Hesco plates aren't that much more expensive but are definitely heavier. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and deal with the extra weight.

Those botach "Battle Steel" brand plates aren't on the NIJ list but are supposedly tested to NIJ standards by this company:

http://www.hpwhite.com/ballistic-tes...nt-body-armor/

Does this seem like a legit way of certifying NIJ standards or is this type of independent lab suspect? I'm planning on calling the company on Monday to see if they will validate the claims of them testing the Battle Steel brand plates.

That’s what a lot of manufacturers do now a days IIRC, and what karmapolice was getting at. Technically not NIJ certified, but “tested to NIJ standards.” Whether that’s acceptable or not is likely up to the individual lab and test procedures, but I typically look at it as a warning sign. Also, if those are steel plates, which wouldn’t surprise me given the price, you’ve got other concerns like spalling and maybe weakness around the edges, depending on how they were cut (plasma vs hydro IIRC). Also, I believe that Hesco has a wide variety, from cheaper options that may be thicker, heavier, and/or single curve all the way up to light/thin/multi curve. The Velocity Special Threat plates seem pretty nice. Rated for 7.62x39, 193, 855, and M80, triple-curve, and 0.6” thick. Anything approaching 1” in thickness is way too much IMO.

As always - buying from a quality vendor is important. I know both OPTactical and AT Armor will happily answer questions to try and help you find the right solution. I’m also pretty confident they don’t carry any armor that could be considered questionable, so you don’t have to worry about quality - just find the shape, size, and performance standards to fit your budget. FWIW, I have two full sets of soft armor backers and at least one set of hard plates, all from Velocity. I think I may have a second but I don’t remember off the top of my head. I wear the armor in one of two different plate carriers pretty frequently including weeks on-end during field exercises. Armor has also saved my life once (though not from getting shot so any level of protection may have worked) so I have a weird attachment to it. Not that any of that necessarily qualifies me to talk about NIJ certs, but I do know what I find comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-16-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Go to bulletproofme or AT armor, tell them your specific requirements (in your case already wearing soft armor), and buy what they recommend. Both carry quality plates.

Most CONUS LE officers need plates which will stop multiple hits of M193 and M855--neither which are threats routinely tested by NIJ. Neither steel or all compressed polyethylene plates will stop BOTH of these threats. If you are an LE officer near a current US military base, I strongly suggest getting plates which will also stop M855A1 and M80A1.

If you truly need to stop modern AP threats, why get Level IV plates which are tested against a 1940's era projectile from WWII? Would it not make more sense to test against reasonably modern threats like M993, M995, 7N37, 7N39, let alone some of the even more advanced projectiles?

Whatever threat level you get, plates must be able to stop three consecutive hits placed at each corner of a 3" triangle.

Triple curve is generally more comfortable, especially for a front plate.

SAPI sizing is generally more versatile that issuing everyone a 10x12.

Hesco and Tencate make good plates; AMI and Velocity also offer good plates.

This plate works pretty well: https://store.atarmor.com/AT_Armor_S...at-stop-bz.htm
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Most CONUS LE officers need plates which will stop multiple hits of M193 and M855--neither which are threats routinely tested by NIJ. Neither steel or all compressed polyethylene plates will stop BOTH of these threats. If you are an LE officer near a current US military base, I strongly suggest getting plates which will also stop M855A1 and M80A1.

If you truly need to stop modern AP threats, why get Level IV plates which are tested against a 1940's era projectile from WWII? Would it not make more sense to test against reasonably modern threats like M993, M995, 7N37, 7N39, let alone some of the even more advanced projectiles?

Whatever threat level you get, plates must be able to stop three consecutive hits placed at each corner of a 3" triangle.

Triple curve is generally more comfortable, especially for a front plate.

SAPI sizing is generally more versatile that issuing everyone a 10x12.

Hesco and Tencate make good plates; AMI and Velocity also offer good plates.

This plate works pretty well: https://store.atarmor.com/AT_Armor_S...at-stop-bz.htm
    Damn, that’s a solid plate. And it has the price to reflect it. I hope it’s triple-curve.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Give me a bit and later today when I’m typing on a keyboard not an iPad I’ll respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That’s what a lot of manufacturers do now a days IIRC, and what karmapolice was getting at. Technically not NIJ certified, but “tested to NIJ standards.” Whether that’s acceptable or not is likely up to the individual lab and test procedures, but I typically look at it as a warning sign. Also, if those are steel plates, which wouldn’t surprise me given the price, you’ve got other concerns like spalling and maybe weakness around the edges, depending on how they were cut (plasma vs hydro IIRC). Also, I believe that Hesco has a wide variety, from cheaper options that may be thicker, heavier, and/or single curve all the way up to light/thin/multi curve. The Velocity Special Threat plates seem pretty nice. Rated for 7.62x39, 193, 855, and M80, triple-curve, and 0.6” thick. Anything approaching 1” in thickness is way too much IMO.

As always - buying from a quality vendor is important. I know both OPTactical and AT Armor will happily answer questions to try and help you find the right solution. I’m also pretty confident they don’t carry any armor that could be considered questionable, so you don’t have to worry about quality - just find the shape, size, and performance standards to fit your budget. FWIW, I have two full sets of soft armor backers and at least one set of hard plates, all from Velocity. I think I may have a second but I don’t remember off the top of my head. I wear the armor in one of two different plate carriers pretty frequently including weeks on-end during field exercises. Armor has also saved my life once (though not from getting shot so any level of protection may have worked) so I have a weird attachment to it. Not that any of that necessarily qualifies me to talk about NIJ certs, but I do know what I find comfortable.

They are ceramic/UHMWPE according to the manufacturer. They are way too light to be steel, and are about 0.8 inches thick. They feel comparable in size and density to the high end SAPI plates I was issued in the military (only thinner and slightly heavier). I appreciate the input from everyone, I'm going to upgrade to Hesco at the very minimum, though I'll check out some of the other options people have linked to. Out of curiosity I'm going to follow up with the lab that tested these plates to see if they can give me any detailed info on their testing (m855, etc.). I'll probably keep them as SHTF back-up plates, as they are reasonably light and comfortable. This lab seems like it does legitimate testing and is accredited at the very least, so I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks again for the great input everyone.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Well the big brain just a Dentist came in here and dropped knowledge bomb and saved me from having to try and use my caveman brain haha. Honestly thank you @DocGKR you have always been a great asset and have helped me, the LE community, mil, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Damn, that’s a solid plate. And it has the price to reflect it. I hope it’s triple-curve.
    I'm fairly certain that it's this plate: https://www.tencateadvancedarmor.com...6450-SA-family

The old STOP-BZs were the Cratus 6400 SA, so it stands to reason that the STOP-BZ(IP) would be the 6450.

Anyone have any knowledge/experience with AR 500 brand armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy Brown View Post
    Anyone have any knowledge/experience with AR 500 brand armor?
    It’s steel armor, so like what you shoot at on the range. See my post above about spalling and cutting, then save up to buy something better.

Correct: STOP-BZ(IP) is the Tencate 6450, as well as being sold for higher price under other names...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List