Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    My department was planning on purchasing rifle plates for patrol officers, but the Assistant Chief who was spearheading the program is not in that position any longer.

Several of us are looking at buying our own. Obviously cost will be a consideration, so any heads up for good quality plates would be appreciated.
    Hesco has the best offerings out there now in my opnion and is the OE manufacture for most other companies. Velocity Systems is always another good source as an alternative. I highly recommend you talk to Mike at AT Armor he is a dealer for Hesco and can get you LE agency quotes etc.

https://store.atarmor.com/

I really like the following too models of plates (pick one based off thickness 1" thick is ok go 3810 III+ or if you need it to be thinner for visibility U210) They have some other cheaper heavier options with good protection as well.

Thickness - .98 inches

7.62x63mm-JSP: 2780 ft/s

7.62x54R-LPS: 2300 ft/s

7.62x54R-L: 2840 ft/s

7.62x51mm-M80: 2780 ft/s

7.62x39mm-Mild Steel Core: 2380 ft/s

7.62x39mm-Ball: 2380 ft/s

5.56x45mm-M855/SS109: 3117 ft/s

5.56x45mm-M193: 3150 ft/s

U210

Thickness - .5 inch

7.62x39mm-API: 2390 ft/s

5.56x45mm-M193: 3150 ft/s

5.56x45mm-M855: 3150 ft/s

7.62x39mm-M67: 2390 ft/s

7.62x39mm-M43: 2390 ft/s
    Last edited by karmapolice; 03-15-2019 at 05:44 PM.

The L210 is a really good option at low price with great protection and weight, average cost is about $200 a plate.

https://store.atarmor.com/Hesco_L210..._p/hs-l210.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    Botach has level IV hybrid plates for $100 each or $90 each for 2+. They are 5.5 pounds per plate and have nice padding around the edges for drop protection. This is the best deal I have found for hybrid plates. They also have level III+ (m855 tested) plates at 4 pounds each for $130 each. I know of a department that uses these plates and they have had no complaints. They are shooters cut and single curve. Botach has free shipping on all orders and next day shipping/processing. I have no relation to their company (or the company that makes the plates) but have had good experiences with them over the years.

https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-...-lbs-80-thick/

https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-...ap-protection/
    $90 plates from Botach sounds as good as a Bushmaster AR IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    $90 plates from Botach sounds as good as a Bushmaster AR IMO.
    Yes, skimping on armor because price is a no go. There have been many companies that popped up after the Dallas shooting that straight up were using a tragedy to rip off cops looking to buy armor with outlandish claims of protection and quality at a cheap price. In fact some have been indicted on criminal charges, you need to buy from a verified legitimate source and manufacture please. If anyone needs help with choosing armor etc. I will do everything I can to help you get quality at the best price.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    What are your thoughts on ICW plates like http://www.safariland.com/products/b....html#start=10?
    You'd have to look at their special threat test, and then verify with your own test. If your agency is serious about buying, be very wary of any company that won't give you plates to independently test. Plates that are rated to stop multiple m855/m193 from a 14.5" barrel at 25 yards with 4" on center spacing, is not the same thing as m855/m193 from a 20" barrel at 10 feet with 1" spacing. Both can claim their own "special threat" rating. Ammo type, impact velocity, distance, spacing.

We issue level IV plates that'll stop one round of M855 or M193 at 20ft, but a second round within 4" of that will pass through. We can stop a threat that we're not going to face, but not address something that has happened.
    Last edited by txdpd; 03-15-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Make sure you get plates front and back. Our county team only got front plates because somebody thought that is all they will need

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Yes, skimping on armor because price is a no go. There have been many companies that popped up after the Dallas shooting that straight up were using a tragedy to rip off cops looking to buy armor with outlandish claims of protection and quality at a cheap price. In fact some have been indicted on criminal charges, you need to buy from a verified legitimate source and manufacture please. If anyone needs help with choosing armor etc. I will do everything I can to help you get quality at the best price.
    What are the typical issues with these brands? Is it poor QC? If they meet the same NIJ standard shouldn't they be acceptable? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

What are the typical issues with these brands? Is it poor QC? If they meet the same NIJ standard shouldn't they be acceptable? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.
    Combination and some claim the meet the NIJ standard but aren’t tested in a legit NIJ lab/testing procedures. Also NIJ is not the end all be all, it is supposed to be updated but the FBI and DEA testing protocols are much better.

Many people buy NIJ LVL4 thinking it will stop anything under what it’s tested for which is one hit of 30-06AP but that isn’t the case many NIJ LVL4 and or LVL3 stuff won’t stop 5.56mm M885 and other common rounds. There is a lot of things that come into play on armor design, materials, and production. I want to buy from a company that has the R&D department that everyone else copies etc. A company like Hesco has the means, the people, the labs, and more, plus as I said earlier they produce a lot of other companies plates to their requirements which aren’t always the best.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Combination and some claim the meet the NIJ standard but aren’t tested in a legit NIJ lab/testing procedures. Also NIJ is not the end all be all, it is supposed to be updated but the FBI and DEA testing protocols are much better.

Many people buy NIJ LVL4 thinking it will stop anything under what it’s tested for which is one hit of 30-06AP but that isn’t the case many NIJ LVL4 and or LVL3 stuff won’t stop 5.56mm M885 and other common rounds. There is a lot of things that come into play on armor design, materials, and production. I want to buy from a company that has the R&D department that everyone else copies etc. A company like Hesco has the means, the people, the labs, and more, plus as I said earlier they produce a lot of other companies plates to their requirements which aren’t always the best.
    This is good to know, thank you for clarifying. The Hesco plates aren't that much more expensive but are definitely heavier. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and deal with the extra weight.

Those botach "Battle Steel" brand plates aren't on the NIJ list but are supposedly tested to NIJ standards by this company:

http://www.hpwhite.com/ballistic-tes...nt-body-armor/

Does this seem like a legit way of certifying NIJ standards or is this type of independent lab suspect? I'm planning on calling the company on Monday to see if they will validate the claims of them testing the Battle Steel brand plates.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Botach has level IV hybrid plates for $100 each or $90 each for 2+. They are 5.5 pounds per plate and have nice padding around the edges for drop protection. This is the best deal I have found for hybrid plates. They also have level III+ (m855 tested) plates at 4 pounds each for $130 each. I know of a department that uses these plates and they have had no complaints. They are shooters cut and single curve. Botach has free shipping on all orders and next day shipping/processing. I have no relation to their company (or the company that makes the plates) but have had good experiences with them over the years.

https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-...-lbs-80-thick/

https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-...ap-protection/
    Give me a bit and later today when I’m typing on a keyboard not an iPad I’ll respond.

User Tag List