Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Girsan Regard

Girsan Regard

First post on the forum. Wanted to share a recent pick-up - the Girsan Regard. Imported from Turkey by EAA. Purchased this from Guns Midwest for $340 all in including shipping and CC fee. My FFL is a gun dealer and hand a couple Beretta variants on hand and the fit, finish and trigger all appeared very similar to the Regard. The grip on the Regard is a bit thinner, which I like as the one concern I had about getting a Beretta was the beefy grip. I did not like the grip panels, however, and switched them out for some CoolHands G10 thin panels. Excellent grips, but hand to slightly enlarge the screw holes to get them to fit on the Girsan. Not much and just used a round file. The Girsan also has finger grooves, which I appreciate.

Took it to the range and it shot beautifully although the trigger was significantly heavier than my CZ P07 and CZ 75 and to be fair I did full trigger jobs to both of those. I decided to do the same to the Girsan. Did the typical Beretta polish job. Nothing too aggressive on the sear, and hammer. Installed a Beretta "D" hammer spring and MCarbo reduced power trigger return spring. The results were amazing. I do not have a trigger gauge, but both the SA and DA feel comparable to my CZ pistols now. I may like the break on the Girsan a bit better, but need some more time with it to know for sure. Of the 3 9mm pistols I have this one for some reason shoots the softest. Not night and day difference, but I can get the Girsan back on target quicker.

My only issue is that I tend to ride the slide release when I shoot, which an result in the slide not locking back on the last round. Too used to the CZ design so need to modify my right thumb placement on the Girsan.

I had the whole lower portion apart on this gun and from what I can tell it is an excellent clone of the Beretta M9A3.

Only came with one magazine. I ordered a Mec-Gar Beretta mag that appears identical so hopefully that will work since Girsan mags are not available.

Here it is:

Name:  GirsanFull.jpg
Views: 12033
Size:  49.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CZB1969 View Post
    First post on the forum. Wanted to share a recent pick-up - the Girsan Regard. Imported from Turkey by EAA. Purchased this from Guns Midwest for $340 all in including shipping and CC fee. My FFL is a gun dealer and hand a couple Beretta variants on hand and the fit, finish and trigger all appeared very similar to the Regard. The grip on the Regard is a bit thinner, which I like as the one concern I had about getting a Beretta was the beefy grip. I did not like the grip panels, however, and switched them out for some CoolHands G10 thin panels. Excellent grips, but hand to slightly enlarge the screw holes to get them to fit on the Girsan. Not much and just used a round file. The Girsan also has finger grooves, which I appreciate.

Took it to the range and it shot beautifully although the trigger was significantly heavier than my CZ P07 and CZ 75 and to be fair I did full trigger jobs to both of those. I decided to do the same to the Girsan. Did the typical Beretta polish job. Nothing too aggressive on the sear, and hammer. Installed a Beretta "D" hammer spring and MCarbo reduced power trigger return spring. The results were amazing. I do not have a trigger gauge, but both the SA and DA feel comparable to my CZ pistols now. I may like the break on the Girsan a bit better, but need some more time with it to know for sure. Of the 3 9mm pistols I have this one for some reason shoots the softest. Not night and day difference, but I can get the Girsan back on target quicker.

My only issue is that I tend to ride the slide release when I shoot, which an result in the slide not locking back on the last round. Too used to the CZ design so need to modify my right thumb placement on the Girsan.

I had the whole lower portion apart on this gun and from what I can tell it is an excellent clone of the Beretta M9A3.

Only came with one magazine. I ordered a Mec-Gar Beretta mag that appears identical so hopefully that will work since Girsan mags are not available.

Here it is:
    Very interesting, and I'd also be interested in updated reports as you fire it more. One small point--from your photo the grip makes it look like a M9A1--not an A3.

Wasn't @Clobbersaurus shooting one of these?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I think his was an older model that was a Centurion clone.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Good memory, I still have it! Great shooting gun and well built. If I recall correctly it got to about 1200 rounds in the 2K challenge before it became unreliable. A thorough cleaning solved the problem.

It was a good training gun for my Elite II.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Very interesting, and I'd also be interested in updated reports as you fire it more. One small point--from your photo the grip makes it look like a M9A1--not an A3.
    Yes. I just thought the rail on the Grisan was more like the M9A3.

Quote Originally Posted by CZB1969 View Post
    Yes. I just thought the rail on the Grisan was more like the M9A3.
    I think that is probably right. If they made a Vertec frame version I'd probably try to buy one.

Made another trip to the range today to try out the trigger polish and spring swaps. Gun is a great shooter. My range also has a full service shop and a couple of shop guys were interested in what I had. They took a look and were very impressed especially after hearing what I paid.

Very comparable to the quality and triggers in my Cz's.

I did notice one issue. The slide release spring does not come through the hole in the frame enough to secure the trigger pin. It looks like the length of the spring between the coil and 90 degree bend is not correct. I ordered a Beretta slide release spring to see if that fits better before I try to rig something. It may be as simple as pulling the coiled portion a bit tighter to gain some length where I need it. Not a big deal since I am aware of it. Just have to keep an eye on it and press the pin in if it gets excessively backed out when shooting.

I will report back on this issue when I figure out the solution.

Still probably the best $340 I ever spent.

CZB1969 - Funny you just posted this. I was searching the internet for Girsan Regard MC upgrades and to see what is compatible and what isn't with Beretta and Wilson parts.

I just registered in order to reply to your thread. I had been on the fence to pick up one of these, back when Zenith was importing them. I finally pulled the trigger today on one off Gunbroker. Got it brand new shipped for $345 to my FFL. Not sure if it comes with only 1 18rd mag or not, but the UPC / Model # matched the EAA website.

I was hoping to put some G10 grips on it too, and read that you had to enlarge the screw holes. I was wondering if it took standard screws for a Beretta, as I'd like to go with hex head if possible, or if you have to reuse the stock screws.

I was also trying to investigate if it is possible to switch it to a decocker only model w/ the Beretta levers. I too plan to go with the D spring mod, so glad to hear that works.

Hoping to pick it up next week!
    -WildBillOH

I think you will be happy with your purchase.

The grip panel screws I used came with the G10 grips and those had a star heads. The stock screws would have worked fine, but I liked the new ones better.

I would be surprised if the decocker did not work. Did you know the Girsan comes with a decocker/safety? I thought it just had the safety so I was happy to find that it had a decocker. I know some have issues with the gun going into safe when racking the slide over the top, but I either use the slide release or turn the gun to the side to rack it so no issue. I appreciate the decocker when I want to bring the hammer down on a loaded chamber though.

Which model did you go with? I was very tempted by the FDE model.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbilloh View Post
    CZB1969 - Funny you just posted this. I was searching the internet for Girsan Regard MC upgrades and to see what is compatible and what isn't with Beretta and Wilson parts.

I just registered in order to reply to your thread. I had been on the fence to pick up one of these, back when Zenith was importing them. I finally pulled the trigger today on one off Gunbroker. Got it brand new shipped for $345 to my FFL. Not sure if it comes with only 1 18rd mag or not, but the UPC / Model # matched the EAA website.

I was hoping to put some G10 grips on it too, and read that you had to enlarge the screw holes. I was wondering if it took standard screws for a Beretta, as I'd like to go with hex head if possible, or if you have to reuse the stock screws.

I was also trying to investigate if it is possible to switch it to a decocker only model w/ the Beretta levers. I too plan to go with the D spring mod, so glad to hear that works.

Hoping to pick it up next week!
    Last edited by CZB1969; 03-16-2019 at 09:01 PM.

User Tag List