Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Go Bags

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    ...In my vicinity, nuclear disasters are exceedingly unlikely, so that is not an issue. ....
    I recall SF writer Connie Willis commenting at a Mile High Con* that she was comfortable living wherever she lived, because there were mountains between her and Cheyenne Mt/NORAD, until one day she had an epiphany regarding Soviet (still a thing, then) technology/engineering, and targeting.

*On a panel about Why SF Writers Are So Fond Of The End Of The World; I had just gotten back from 2 weeks at Pinyon Canyon, and wore my "Detroit: Where The Weak Are Killed and Eaten" t-shirt...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I recall SF writer Connie Willis commenting at a Mile High Con* that she was comfortable living wherever she lived, because there were mountains between her and Cheyenne Mt/NORAD, until one day she had an epiphany regarding Soviet (still a thing, then) technology/engineering, and targeting.

*On a panel about Why SF Writers Are So Fond Of The End Of The World; I had just gotten back from 2 weeks at Pinyon Canyon, and wore my "Detroit: Where The Weak Are Killed and Eaten" t-shirt...
    On my spectrum of common/life threatening there are a lot of other problems that rank pretty high. Plus, at some point, if the world ends, let's be real - I'm pretty much toast anyway.

Besides, if nuclear disaster is what threatens to kill me, I can always hope that it gives me spidey powers instead. I'll play those odds.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Gear wise, I'm Boyscouty and never leave the house without a way to make fire, a way to navigate, and first aid supplies
    I never leave the house without a bic lighter in my pocket, knife and multitool, and carry gun. I don't pack around a man-bag, but I have some extra stuff handy nearby, as a rule. If I had to walk from work to home with just what I was wearing and carrying in my pockets, I'd say I'd be fine, even it if took me a couple days ( unlikely, given the distance).

It's easy to get too caught up in preparing for every possible scenario. I keep it simple: Extra clothing and shoes/boots in my truck, water is available in bottles. A couple of ways to make fire. Extra ammo/mags. Spare lights/batteries. A bit of extra food. I have some trauma supplies in there as well. If I'm heading far away from home, a rifle gets packed.

If in an unfamiliar area, a way to navigate would probably be a good idea. Preferably non-electronic. I don't need a compass to get home from work. I might need one if I was on vacation somewhere unfamiliar.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    A backpack type bag instead of something with a single strap is going to be much easier to carry if you have to move on foot with any amount of weight in the bag. For gear, a good baseline would be Dave Canterbury’s 5C’s/10C’s if travel thru any back country is part of your planning. Lots of youtube vids showing them. Add some food, $2K in cash, a handgun, a charged phone and a credit card and you’re in pretty good shape. A dry bag inside the pack is a good idea to protect the contents from moisture or be used to carry water.
    I will take a look at this! Why do you feel that 1 strap > 2 straps for mobility purposes? Intuitively I feel like the contrary seems more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    And to double down on what Mr. Trash and others have emphasized regarding footwear, moleskin, and other blister/foot care items should be part of the med kit.
    This is a good idea; this kind of stuff would not be otherwise in my regular medical kits (booboo or trauma).
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-16-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Blister Prevention and Treatment: https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I will take a look at this! Why do you feel that 1 strap > 2 straps for mobility purposes? Intuitively I feel like the contrary seems more obvious.
    I believe LtDave was saying 2 straps > 1 strap.

A lightweight frame pack is preferable to anything else. School, laptop and assault backpacks are great for the walk to car or across campus but will cause shoulder pain over miles.

Not the cheapest, but the Mystery Ranch Coulee packs have adjustable frames without being heavy, civvy-friendly colors and the water resistant 3-zip is nice. When not hiking it's my Go Bag. I use the 40 since it allows bulkier cold weather gear. The small compression straps compensate for thinner load out.

Well, let's see how this formats. It is something I wrote up for others, available in Word doc.

This list is given to help you analyze your needs. You do not need to carry all of these items.

The Line System
    Consider adapting the military’s Line concept for your Bug Out Bag (BOB) gear:

First Line Gear consists of the absolute minimum survival and protection items for you or your group. These items should be carried separate from your main pack and not impede a run for your life. It is NOT a long gun, MREs, sleeping bag or tent.

Second Line Gear is everything else: food, food prep, substantial shelter and more. Your load out will be specific to your group dynamics, terrain/crossings, likely dangers, seasonal climate, etc.

Considerations

Minimize weight, dependencies and injuries with body fitness, learning new skills and real-world practice with your gear.

Waterproof important items such as medical items and clothing. Ziploc bags, dry sacks and vacuum-sealed bags reduce volume of clothing AND protect items from storage problems – leaks, mildew, odors, whatever. The seams of heat-sealed pouches can be cut/notched so they open faster and without additional tools.

Tether valuables to prevent loss. Many critical tools such as compasses, multi-tools and pistols have a lanyard ring or hole.

Periodically inspect your gear for damaged, leaking or expired food, batteries, medicine.

First Line Gear

First Line Gear Carry
    • Front packs. Hill People Gear Kit Bag, RIBZwear front pack, military surplus LBE.
    • Pocket modules, thigh sub loads. Test for chafing.
    • List of things to take with you from office, vehicle, home, hotel.

Clothing
    • Head-to-toe consideration for the situation, season, terrain and visual profile. Protect from mildew and odors. Store with First Line pack. Socks: DarnTough, Thorlo, Wigwam. Belt: FirstSpear Biothane.

Tools
    • Fixed knife or folder with quality locking mechanism.
    • Light/batteries; choices include flashlight, headlamp, micro light. Red lights or red filter capability is a plus. LEDs are very efficient while incandescent is EMP-proof. Lithium batteries perform better at lower temperatures.
    • Multi-tool with mini-tweezers

Water
    • Compact water treatment method/supplies. Katadyn Micropur, Aquamira tablets.
    • Ultra-compact water gathering /pre-filter; plastic sheet, foam for pre-filter
    • Compact water storage. Platy plusBottle, Nalgene Cantene

Medical
    • Dust mask w/valve, feminine products
    • Lip balm; in leakproof tube/jar
    • Topical sterilization/antibiotics + compact bandages (Band-aid to Olaes)
    • OTC/prescription meds
    • Tourniquet
    • Compact 2” silk tape
    • Exam gloves
    • Wound closure strips

Food
    • Very lightweight, compact food such as “lifeboat” ration, protein bars. Consider dehydrating effect of energy bars. Datrex, Mainstay.

Eyes
    • Spare eyeglasses or eye protection; smoky, windy, dusty environs, snow glare, etc. Wrap-around or gasketed models preferred
    • Retention strap for eyewear

Security
    • Sidearm; concealability, accessibility and retention during vigorous physical activity.
    • Consider sidearm protection from foliage, mud, debris, freezing rain
    • Spare ammunition accessibility and retention
    • Miniature container of lubricant
    • Hand inspect every cartridge and magazine

Communications
    • Group travel - transceiver with earpiece; battery commonality with lights

Navigation options (weatherproofed)
    • State road map
    • USGS 24k topographical map
    • Compasses; two is one, one is none; carry one in First Line Gear, carry other separately on body
    • USFS or local forest fire maps
    • Flight maps may display landmarks such as towers; can transfer to regular map
    • Aerial photo of destination may help if you are forced off intended route
    • GPS, pace beads, surveyor's tape (make coded notes)
    • Avoid marking maps with exact locations or obvious notes

Ultralight shelter/sleep
    • Poncho for wet weather and shelter use.
    • Reflective blanket. SOL Bivvy products.

Miscellaneous
    • Small length of para cord, bank line or Kevlar cordage (escape/evasion double)
    • Duct tape, flat-packed
    • Insect repellant; small container or individually packaged wipes.
    • Watch; waterproof, night light, durable, glare protection, vibration alarm
    • Needle/thread
    • Rite-in-Rain pad + pencil
    • Essential documents; electronic documents on USB drive, encrypted and waterproofed; Will, insurance policies, contracts, vehicle titles, deeds, mortgage, stocks, bonds, marriage/death certificates, passports, social security cards, immunization records, account numbers (coded), inventory of serialized goods, latest W-2 tax form, bills with home address, recent family photos (disaster family ID), phone numbers, contact list, disaster commo plan/schedule (no code/duress words written down)
    • Spare keys; house, lock, vehicle; tape flat, hide in pack lining
    • Cash in smaller bills

Second Line

Water
    • Primary water treatment and storage solution; pump, gravity, chemical or pull-through systems.
    • Water gathering; scoop material, longer intake hose, pre-filter, etc.

Security
    • Long gun, ammunition/magazine carriers, support items
    • Fishing line for crude perimeter/line of drift alarms

Shelter
    • Cold weather sleeping bag + pad
    • Shelter; waterproof, quiet
    • Mosquito net (can double as fish net)
    • Dry bag or pack prepared for buoyancy/river fording

Food options
    • High-calorie, ready-to-eat meals highly preferred for time and energy savings
    • MRE meals (may be stripped down for size/weight)
    • Food bars, sealed single-servings
    • Comfort beverages, candy, seasonings
    • Longer term; freeze dried foods, fishing, hunting, snare

Food preparation
    • Lightweight boiling container/stand/windscreen
    • Stove or heaters if needed; can double for water purification if fire fuel is readily available

Light, Communication, Observation
    • Radio receiver; AM/FM/Shortwave/Weather/Public Safety/Amateur Radio emergency freqs
    • Satellite phone
    • Signal panel, mirror, whistle

Observation
    • Monocular
    • Night vision or thermal devices for traveling at night

Pack system
    • Frame pack sized for you
    • Group familiarity with pack arrangement (medical/ critical item critical grab ‘n go)

Tools
    • Cutting, digging tools; machete, kukri, mini bolt cutter, composite trowel
    • Spare knife, light
    • Zip ties, short length of baling wire
    • Batteries
    • Lock pick/shim

Hygiene and sanitation
    • Dental care
    • Soap, hand gel, wet wipes; unscented

Spare clothing (head to toe)
    • Socks/underwear that minimize chafing/blisters
    • Gloves/liners; cold weather, climbing
    • Head gear for sun, cold weather
    • Scarf/cravat/shemagh; excellent multi-use item in one piece or cut; head gear, face camo, sling, tourniquet, wash cloth, etc.
    • Gaiters; rain, snow, snake, mud, thorns, vines, etc.
    • Joint braces

Medical
    • Blister prevention/treatment
    • Sterile scalpel/razor blade
    • Eye drops, foot powder

Miscellaneous
    • Bug net
    • Pocket survival book; edible plant reference; foreign language phrasebook; compact Bible
    • Trash bag
    • Ziploc bags
    • Safety pins
    • Large, discreet duffle to conceal B.O.B. while it’s stored in your vehicle; sports logo, vehicle maintenance logo etc.
    • Bicycle with panniers

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    I believe LtDave was saying 2 straps > 1 strap.

A lightweight frame pack is preferable to anything else. School, laptop and assault backpacks are great for the walk to car or across campus but will cause shoulder pain over miles.
    Yes, unless you are carrying something very light, or for very short distance, you want a backpack of some sort rather than a messenger bag arrangement. Agreed on a quality pack with a good suspension system.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    For those of you carrying dental hygiene stuff, consider a film canister (do they exist any more?) sized nalgene bottle of baking soda. Cleans the teeth, can be used to mix a soothing wash for oral sores, a little goes a long way, rinsing is optional, uses little water to brush (can use just saliva on your brush if necessary), and does not freeze in low temps. Not a very good antiseptic, but neutralizes the acids produced by bacteria on your teeth.

Credit for that tip goes to Patrick Smith, of Kifaru.

About a dozen years ago, as a fan of John Wiseman's SAS Survival Guide, I spent $20 or so and got several ounces of Potassium Permanganate. For a short term kit I think it is worthwhile... sterilize water, anti septic, anti fungal, potential chemical fire starter with a small amount of sugar and glycerine. Carry it in the same sized container as your baking soda, and a similar sized squeeze bottle of glycerine.

I learned the hard way to carry 3M Vetbond from Amazon. Not cheap, and not approved for humans, but it smells less and stings less than superglue for sutureless wound closure. Of course, there are rules to closing wounds in austire conditions, but I think @Nephrology would know those. Everyone else can research fhem.

All of these are relatively small enough and light enough they make it into my EDC bag.

pat

For critical documents, we keep copies in a local bank's safe deposit box vault as well as in our safe. Our most likely issue is a tornado, followed by hurricanes and (a distant third) earthquake. We also have a nuclear power plant in the county. The safe and/or bank vault are likely to survive any one with minimal damage. Timely access may be an issue, but the documents are eventually going to be accessible.

With the scary good accuracy of the Storm Prediction Center (if they utter "enhanced risk" in regards to our locale, we are getting tornadoes in the area), we can be sure to have both vehicles ready to go

Other things I like are med-alert bracelets as they help first responders and are easy to have.

User Tag List