Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Bags

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Go Bags

This may or may not be on topic so mods please move if this belongs in another subforum.

My girlfriend spontaneously suggested we start putting together go bags in case of natural disaster, etc, an idea that I naturally support. However, while I have the bags, I am not sure that I am an expert on what exactly should go inside.

I have some general ideas, but what should I prioritize in loading this bag? Again, the purpose is for 'most likely' emergency scenarios, which, around here, are most likely weather/natural disaster related (fire, tornado, blizzard, etc).

Anything that will help sustain me/us for ~24-48h in the setting of a sudden evacuation or similar scenario is sort of the theme I am going for here. I will be putting together separate vehicle bags with jumper cables, torque wrenches, etc - these would be to keep in our home.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Imagine what you need to go backpacking for 24 hours and you have your list

Food (MRE or portable stove + preplanned meals), water filters (make your water on the go, have collapsible bottles), weather appropriate clothing (spare socks, coat, etc), sleeping gear (pad, bag), light/basic FAK and repair kits, portable battery for your phones (which enable communication and GPS), toiletries, maybe some entertainment like a nook, etc.

All that shit can be packed into a good backpack with room left over.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Ever since reading "One Second After" - I keep a civilian, nondescript backpack in my car to aid me in case I have to walk from downtown Atlanta to the suburbs - about 47 miles. My packing list is what I think I need to walk for multiple days and spend a night or two on the way. Have to balance what I think I need vs what I think I can carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Imagine what you need to go backpacking for 24 hours and you have your list

Food (MRE or portable stove + preplanned meals), water filters (make your water on the go, have collapsible bottles), weather appropriate clothing (spare socks, coat, etc), sleeping gear (pad, bag), light/basic FAK and repair kits, portable battery for your phones (which enable communication and GPS), toiletries, maybe some entertainment like a nook, etc.

All that shit can be packed into a good backpack with room left over.
    That's exactly what I do. Sure is nice when I want to go backpacking too. I typically go on 4 day trips so that's how our packs sit.

Gear should follow training. If you don't know how to use it, don't put it in your bag. I think 48hrs is realistically about as long as you need to be able to support yourself out of a bag for a spontaneous event. After that, there's either outside support from red cross and/or just collaboration with local resources or it's TEOTWAWKI and you're fighting to stay alive and killing for food, etc.

Don't get overly complex with it.

Food, water, clothing, shelter, bathroom. Clif bars (or similar), Bottled water (and/or filter), Toilet Paper, clothing appropriate for the weather (rain jacket/poncho can be a lifesaver and used as a makeshift shelter), Gloves, light, fire.

Nowadays a cell phone backup battery would be good.

Your brain is the most useful thing you have, though, and fortunately it doesn't need to go in a bag. Best thing you could do would be to get some basic training on basic skills like knot tying, fire starting, shelter building. Then, use those skills daily to run scenarios based on what you see happening around you.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

You have gotten some really good advice. I used to always keep a "go" bag packed when I was overseas. I was usually at a small combat out post (cop) and grew up reading how the ones up north were overrun and the guys were debating abandoning the cop or fight to the death. So I always kept a medium size pack, with food, water, extra clothes, batteries, etc next to my bed. One thing I would say, if you are going to be carrying a gun during your evac (which I'm guessing you will be) throw a couple extra mags in it. Insurance added.

My .02 is that, once you get the bag assembled, try actually carrying it for the expected distance and living solely out of it for a day or so. Too often I see people showing off bags and the gear is still in the original wrapper.... Actually going live with a bag can be,... interesting.

ETA: Modularity can be your friend here. Separate "containers" for medical, tactical, sustainment, food, etc... That way, you can easily ditch or add groups of items depending on the situation.

Also ETA: Generally, it is good to look toward the ultra-light backpacking community for solutions if your bank account can stand it. Going .mil and/or super-redundant adds weight that you will not want to tote.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 03-14-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Go bags are really personalized. Here's my take:

*medications, if needed.

*The above should be your only medical gear in the bag if you have separate medical gear (ankle kit, whatever). It's a go-bag, not a mass casualty triage bag. If you don't have a separate medical kit, then at most it should have an IFAK with the addition of a 2-4 tablets of immodium and 2 iodine wipes....the bare minimum important stuff to prevent bad shit from taking hold in a 24 hour period.

*Hygiene supplies. Wet wipes, hand sanitizer, soap. Compact tooth brush and compact tooth paste if you can fit it.

*Respirators/N95 masks.

*At least $400 in cash, no bills larger than $20.

*1 or 2 MREs each, at most. Any more than that and it's going to get heavy. It's a go bag, not a sustainment bag. If you want more food, it's a better idea to have easily accessible prepared meals that can be loaded into the car (like cases of MREs).

*Water. More than you think you need...most people put too much food, and not enough water. It's heavy, but you really need it, and it's not going to be in ready supply if there's a situation where you need your go-bag.

*A minimalist camp stove running on alcohol or esbit can be handy for heating up cans of soup that might avail yourself to. Anything more than that and you're getting into sustainment, not a go-bag.

*Water filters for a go bag are something I'm not sold on yet.....the small camping ones that are appropriate size/weight for a bailout bag aren't really filtering for the stuff that you need to worry about for a natural disaster in an urbanized area. Their filters get clogged super quick on anything that isn't relatively clean/clear water, as well. They're made for camping in nature, not disasters.

*"Survival" supplies should be kept limited. Ponchos are compact and useful for multiple things. One of those combination whistle/weatherproof matchbox/Firestarter thingies are small/light enough to not be a burden, and could be super useful if you need to abandon your car or sleep outside. Keep it realistic though.....are you going camping or trying to make it to a hotel/family's house?

*Road maps. GPS might not work.

*Plan for pets. Food/water/hygiene supplies.

*Power supply. Chargers, Mophie, 1-2 spare batteries, the likes.

*hand crack radio to keep up on the news and public broadcasts.

*Small LED headlamp, at most for lighting. You should already have a flashlight on you.

*1 pair undies, 1 pair socks. Other clothes as necessary for your clime.

There should be no ammo, guns, tactical lights, tons of TEOTWAWKI survival supplies or knives in your go bag. That should already be on you, and don't get excessive. People with tons of extra ammo/guns in their bailout bags are playing a fantasy, not looking at what is realistically needed in historical American disasters. Tons of extra mags are appropriate for go bags if you're a security contractor in the Central African Republic...….not so much sumdood in urban America trying to get somewhere safe if there's a natural disaster or terrorist attack.

Keep it light. There's probably other bags you'll want to bring with you if you have the option. Don't make your go-bag so burdensome that you can't carry anything else. Be realistic.....if you have to evacuate your home due to nearby building collapse, infrastructure problems, fire, etc......Do you really want some go-bag from a TEOTWAWKI fantasy novel that is so burdensome you can't also bring anything else more applicable or important to you in a more realistic, infinitesimally more probable situation?
    Last edited by TGS; 03-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice, all! Lots of very helpful tips so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Go bags are really personalized. Here's my take:

*medications, if needed.

*The above should be your only medical gear in the bag if you have separate medical gear (ankle kit, whatever). It's a go-bag, not a mass casualty triage bag. If you don't have a separate medical kit, then at most it should have an IFAK with the addition of a 2-4 tablets of immodium and 2 iodine wipes....the bare minimum important stuff to prevent bad shit from taking hold in a 24 hour period.

*Hygiene supplies. Wet wipes, hand sanitizer, soap. Compact tooth brush and compact tooth paste if you can fit it.

*Respirators/N95 masks.

*At least $400 in cash, no bills larger than $20.

*1 or 2 MREs each, at most. Any more than that and it's going to get heavy. It's a go bag, not a sustainment bag. If you want more food, it's a better idea to have easily accessible prepared meals that can be loaded into the car (like cases of MREs).

*Water. More than you think you need...most people put too much food, and not enough water. It's heavy, but you really need it, and it's not going to be in ready supply if there's a situation where you need your go-bag.

*A minimalist camp stove running on alcohol or esbit can be handy for heating up cans of soup that might avail yourself to. Anything more than that and you're getting into sustainment, not a go-bag.

*Water filters for a go bag are something I'm not sold on yet.....the small camping ones that are appropriate size/weight for a bailout bag aren't really filtering for the stuff that you need to worry about for a natural disaster in an urbanized area. Their filters get clogged super quick on anything that isn't relatively clean/clear water, as well. They're made for camping in nature, not disasters.

*"Survival" supplies should be kept limited. Ponchos are compact and useful for multiple things. One of those combination whistle/weatherproof matchbox/Firestarter thingies are small/light enough to not be a burden, and could be super useful if you need to abandon your car or sleep outside. Keep it realistic though.....are you going camping or trying to make it to a hotel/family's house?

*Road maps. GPS might not work.

*Plan for pets. Food/water/hygiene supplies.

*Power supply. Chargers, Mophie, 1-2 spare batteries, the likes.

*hand crack radio to keep up on the news and public broadcasts.

*Small LED headlamp, at most for lighting. You should already have a flashlight on you.

*1 pair undies, 1 pair socks. Other clothes as necessary for your clime.

There should be no ammo, guns, tactical lights, tons of TEOTWAWKI survival supplies or knives in your go bag. That should already be on you, and don't get excessive. People with tons of extra ammo/guns in their bailout bags are playing a fantasy, not looking at what is realistically needed in historical American disasters. Tons of extra mags are appropriate for go bags if you're a security contractor in the Central African Republic...….not so much sumdood in urban America trying to get somewhere safe if there's a natural disaster or terrorist attack.

Keep it light. There's probably other bags you'll want to bring with you if you have the option. Don't make your go-bag so burdensome that you can't carry anything else. Be realistic.....if you have to evacuate your home due to nearby building collapse, infrastructure problems, fire, etc......Do you really want some go-bag from a TEOTWAWKI fantasy novel that is so burdensome you can't also bring anything else more applicable or important to you in a more realistic, infinitesimally more probable situation?
    This is especially helpful - like you said, I am not a security contractor or Navy SEAL. At most I would throw in a couple pistol mags; otherwise emphasis is exactly as you describe.

How do you recommend storing water for this purpose? One of the bags I am planning on using has a Camelbak pouch, but I'm not sure how long I should be keeping water in one of those.

My girlfriend purchased a handful of "life straws" but as you mention I am skeptical they will last long enough to be practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Thanks for the advice, all! Lots of very helpful tips so far.

This is especially helpful - like you said, I am not a security contractor or Navy SEAL. At most I would throw in a couple pistol mags; otherwise emphasis is exactly as you describe.

How do you recommend storing water for this purpose? One of the bags I am planning on using has a Camelbak pouch, but I'm not sure how long I should be keeping water in one of those.

My girlfriend purchased a handful of "life straws" but as you mention I am skeptical they will last long enough to be practical.
    I just use water bottles.

As for the life straws, even the guys on SurvivalistBoards.com have doubts as to their utility. That website has a lot of good discussion on water filters and their applicability to water contaminated by chemicals and other stuff that would be present in an urban/suburban disaster. My take away was to carry more water, because short of professional water filtration via National Guard assets, you're not doing yourself any favors with water filters made for hiking in beautiful, relatively clean nature. They're mostly designed to filter out natural pathogens and taste.....lots of man-made stuff go right through their filters.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List