Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Feds Break-up Wealthy College Admissions Fraud Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    What the hell is the point of being wealthy if you can't pull off shit like this??

Extremely fast cars, white sand beaches, and helping your fellow man?

That, or hobbyist gun control.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I only have experience At the undergraduate level
    Yale gives very generous financial aid to a point ie
    well over 200 k of family income. Tuition is often covered though room/board/books/travel is not so that probably 15-20k. Incomes under 100ish, the presumption is no parental contribution at all.

After the 200kish level, the aid starts to dry up. The defendants in this scheme presumably have multi million dollar incomes, they would be full pays on both tuition and room/board etc.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 03-14-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    What the hell is the point of being wealthy if you can't pull off shit like this??

Speaks to character

Some things money can't buy

Intrinsically Un-American
    Last edited by Cheap Shot; 03-14-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm shocked that there's anyone left to be shocked. This is the way things have been since...oh...forever.

It is fun to see some of these extra special elite sorts get outed and skewered a bit in the media, however. What with these highly cultured and sensitive artiste types telling the lowly commoners how they ought to think and be living at every one of their self-aggrandizing award shows.

Hoist with their own petard...
    For the last few days this has dominated the media seemingly out of proportion to its importance for one main reason: schadenfreude--the pleasure derived from the misfortune of others.

Name:  schadenfreude.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  85.5 KB

We see these people who are famous, and much richer than us and unnaturally beautiful getting hoisted on their petards for something stupid that they did. Some of these people seemed to have it all: money, unnatural beauty. They don't have to worry about car payments or mortgage payments like many regular folks do, they have much more money than the average American. They live exotic lifestyles. Many people like seeing rich and famous people getting it stuck to them.

Look at this picture of one of the defendants who allegedly paid the fixer to get her daughters into college. Lori Loughlin, wife of a famous fashion designer, and her daughters. I had no idea who these people were before this scandal broke. Here is a picture of them. They are the rich and seem unnaturally beautiful--possibly the result of plastic surgery in the mothers case, and you almost have to suspect genetic engineering in the daughters case because they seem almost too perfect:

Name:  Lori Loughlin3.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  41.2 KB

But suddenly they have made a stupid mistake and suffer hugely for it in a public scandal with possible prison time

Another person accused is academy award nominated actress Felicity Huffman, who is wife of academy nominated actor William H. Macy. Ironically enough, William H, Macy stars in a Cable drama titled Shameless, where he plays a lowlife scammer.

This whole affair reminds me in a way of the excellent black and white movie The Magnificent Ambersons, written and directed by Orson Welles based on a book by Booth Tarkington. This film follows the richest family in Indianapolis from the late 1800s to the early 1900s, towards the end of which they lose their money. There is a scene in the beginning of the movie where some town folks are gathered outside of their mansion, talking about all of its wonder and how it is the most lavish in town with amenities unknown in that age. Later there is a scene where a young member of their family recklessly drives his house carriage though town, forcing people to jump out of the way. One of the people who jumps out of the way and shakes his fist at him and declares that one day he will meet his comeuppance.

Well, to many people watching this unfold, the rich famous people are getting their comeuppance.
    Last edited by Ed L; 03-14-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Wouldn't $1.2mil be enough to just pay for Yale and allow for a few bucks to grease some skids without the whole soccer player thing?
    Nope. Not even close. Yale has a 29.4 billion dollar endowment. If you want to buy favor at that institution, your check needs to have nine digits in it, before the decimal. It needs at least eight digits beginning with 2 and 5 to get noticed by the people who matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Speaks to character

Some things money can't buy

Intrinsically Un-American
    I know it's a joke. But isn't the intrinsically American part that we work and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps? Therefore the intrinsically un-American part is buying admission to prestigious institutions, instead of working hard to get in?

Why should Lori Loughlin's kid get into USC when there are people who actually worked to get in? Although, from the sound of it, Lori Loughlin's daughter has been 'working' quite hard since she got into USC.

____

For the record, I totally get the joke. I guess I just don't find this that funny, just sad. I'm not surprised by any of this. I just worked my ass off to get into highly selective schools and people buy their way in, I understand that happens. But, I'm not into it. I'm glad these folks got caught and that their privilege is going to get them checked right into jail. I want to see the administrative people brought down too. And I'd love to see it serve as a warning to folks thinking of doing this...it won't...but I'd love that.

I'd also love for it to serve as a warning to institutions to be careful what you wish for. With great athletics or academics and a board of trustees made up of yacht owners - you get the money and privilege that comes with the money. But you're also dealing with a bunch of power hungry folks who listen too much to their own bullshit. It would behoove institutions to make sure they build their houses of cards on stable ground. But they won't listen and when the house crashes down, it's never the people with 10+ figure bank accounts underneath it. Just the folks doing an honest day's work.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    This one is the most confusing:
    A teenage girl who did not play soccer magically became a star soccer recruit at Yale. Cost to her parents: $1.2 million.

Wouldn't $1.2mil be enough to just pay for Yale and allow for a few bucks to grease some skids without the whole soccer player thing?

It's been nearly 30 years, but I looked at the cost to go to Harvard (just for fun, no actual intention of going there) when I was selecting a school back around 1989/90. Harvard, at the time, was $20k/year in tuition, so let's call it $40k/year to cover everything. Presumably Yale was similar. Even if you treble the costs and took 5yrs to get a degree, you're looking at half what her parents spent. Granted, you still have to get accepted, but I'm sure a "donation" of a couple hundred grand would help and still cost less than the figure quoted above.

It doesn't make sense.

Chris
    It makes sense from my perch.
    It’s way easier to just write a 1.2 mil check and sign the admission docs then to spend hours studying, testing, applying, visiting, wondering if your kid will be accepted, etc. Convenience is why Starbucks makes a profit, instead of people making coffee and lattes at home for far less money.

Further they can write off the chari- err, bribery payments as a tax deduction.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

____

For the record, I totally get the joke. I guess I just don't find this that funny, just sad. I'm not surprised by any of this. I just worked my ass off to get into highly selective schools and people buy their way in, I understand that happens. But, I'm not into it. I'm glad these folks got caught and that their privilege is going to get them checked right into jail. I want to see the administrative people brought down too. And I'd love to see it serve as a warning to folks thinking of doing this...it won't...but I'd love that.

I'd also love for it to serve as a warning to institutions to be careful what you wish for. With great athletics or academics and a board of trustees made up of yacht owners - you get the money and privilege that comes with the money. But you're also dealing with a bunch of power hungry folks who listen too much to their own bullshit. It would behoove institutions to make sure they build their houses of cards on stable ground. But they won't listen and when the house crashes down, it's never the people with 10+ figure bank accounts underneath it. Just the folks doing an honest day's work.
    *Puts on Cynic Hat*

This case is just a window into human nature. If there’s an aopprotunity for a quick dollar or more power, some folks will take it regardless of the moral consequences. I’m confident most large universities have a system like this in place. It may not be as organized, and it won’t always involve celebrities. But if you know the right people , one could very well just buy admission.

It need not be money. It could be concert tickets, quid pro quo services...the list goes on. I’ve witnessed a case of a rural University successfully interfering with a police investigation of one of the student athletes.

I’m not starting everyone in a university authority position is a corrupt crook, but just like any other profession there’s bent college admins too. Fact of life.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Maybe they should federalize the schools and let these a-holes help pay down the national debt with their bribes to get their do nothing kids into institutions of (alleged) higher learning. At least there would be a benefit to the country.

Frankly, I don't remember being too impressed with the general levels of intelligence (and knowledge) at most universities, ivy league or not, during my years attending same.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I know it's a joke. But isn't the intrinsically American part that we work and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps? Therefore the intrinsically un-American part is buying admission to prestigious institutions, instead of working hard to get in?

Why should Lori Loughlin's kid get into USC when there are people who actually worked to get in? Although, from the sound of it, Lori Loughlin's daughter has been 'working' quite hard since she got into USC.

____

I wasn't joking. I'm just inarticulate. We are in agreement.

In the recent past America was based more on a meritocracy, rather than a winner take all aristocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe they should federalize the schools and let these a-holes help pay down the national debt with their bribes to get their do nothing kids into institutions of (alleged) higher learning. At least there would be a benefit to the country.

Frankly, I don't remember being too impressed with the general levels of intelligence (and knowledge) at most universities, ivy league or not, during my years attending same.
    Most in attendance forget that a degree is simply a 'tool', not a guarantee of employment or improved intelligence. Many have done quite well without 'advanced education', to wit: Bill Gates.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List