Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Double Action - How much am I missing out on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I've been hearing about how useful a double action is in learning to shoot well.

I don't have a DA pistol, and I'm wondering if I should get one. Don't really have a huge want for one, but if it gives me a quantifiable improvement shooting my Glocks, I could see it being worthwhile.

If it's worth getting a DA pistol, what do you recommend?
    Yes it's worth it - DA really helps you focus on a clean trigger pull. Do it SHO and WHO - the only way you can pull that DA trigger without moving the sights is pulling the trigger in one continuous motion at a constant speed, be it fast or slow. Roll through it.

beretta 92d or any beretta 92/px4.
    a sig 22X DAK
    HK LEM
    revolver

I'd get a TDA semi auto (I love the Beretta 92)- not only would you gain valuable experience with the DA pull, but also experience transitioning from the first DA trigger pull to the second SA pull - for TDA, remember the first pull is a roll, the second is a press.
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 03-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Every American should own a S&W K, L and N-Frame.
    FIFY
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I’m trying the 92D route while my Glocks are in the shop.

It is teaching me to absolutely commit to the trigger pull and controlling the front sight through the press.

Strong hand only has been showing me what parts of my hand I’m sympathetically moving with press, and I’m working on isolating and eliminating it.

Too bad the 92 doesn’t mount a RDS like a Glock, the trigger instruction would be even clearer.

Revolver or Beretta-D, the ease of continuous rapid-fire dry fire is nice.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

You're not missing out.

If you're a person that can self-diagnose your shooting, then I would do ben stoeger's drill "trigger control at speed"
    It's not a drill you master & move on, it's something you'll work with constantly.

I'm not saying it's wrong to use supplements or cross-training, but I don't think it's that beneficial.
    Nothing you can't overcome with just paying attention to why you're disturbing the sights on your glock & work on it.

Unless you just want a new toy & you're justifying the expense; I would just focus on your chosen platform.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My vote is a GP100. Big and heavy, more durable than an L frame. Supposedly, the slickest S&W is slicker than the slickest GP, but my GP is slicker than all the S&Ws that I haven't gone through yet. If you only end up with one general purpose revolver for all doing of revolver things, it's the one.

Use the ammo search engines. There's .38 SPL out there for less than 2x the price of 9mm. I am still chewing on a couple cases of wadcutters I picked up for $0.17/rd on sale. That's unusual, but it happened. And if you get into shooting volume of live loads, get a Dillon and make it cheap.

I really like dry fire practice with a spinny magazine. Just load it up with snap caps and go to town as fast as you can press the trigger. Dagga Boy has said that he keeps one around for that reason.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My vote is a GP100. Big and heavy, more durable than an L frame. Supposedly, the slickest S&W is slicker than the slickest GP, but my GP is slicker than all the S&Ws that I haven't gone through yet. If you only end up with one general purpose revolver for all doing of revolver things, it's the one.

Use the ammo search engines. There's .38 SPL out there for less than 2x the price of 9mm. I am still chewing on a couple cases of wadcutters I picked up for $0.17/rd on sale. That's unusual, but it happened. And if you get into shooting volume of live loads, get a Dillon and make it cheap.

I really like dry fire practice with a spinny magazine. Just load it up with snap caps and go to town as fast as you can press the trigger. Dagga Boy has said that he keeps one around for that reason.
    Are gp's really more rugged than L frames?

And where are you getting brass cased .38s for .17cpr?

My understanding is that the GP came about when the L frame didn't adequately address the concerns of LE customers regarding the durability of S&Ws.

It was an exceptional sale, but this is the place:
    https://www.precisiondelta.com/produ...ed-ammunition/

I see it for $0.26-0.30/rd without even trying.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Too bad the 92 doesn’t mount a RDS like a Glock, the trigger instruction would be even clearer.
    You could try a laser. That’ll give you major trigger pull feedback

If you're looking for a DA or DAO pistol to practice for shooting your striker fired pistols, get a Sig P250 with the .22 X-Change kit.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

If you're going that route, just get a P250 in .22LR. They're cheaper than X-change kits.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List