Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Action - How much am I missing out on?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    This bears repeating. S&W Models 10, 13, 15, 64, 65, and 67 is where it's at.
    I have an older 3" RB 65 that is best of breed and was < $150 from a pile of old cop guns.
    Last edited by Jason M; 03-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I have an older 3" RB 65 that is best of breed.
    So do I. Last handgun I will ever get rid of.

100% a DA gun will teach you things about trigger control that you'll never learn from a Glock. However, I also think there's value in the SA pull as well. Sure, it's short and light, but you can snatch it just as easily as you can any other trigger.

I'd go classic Sig or Beretta if I were you.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I love revolvers, but most of your suitable choices will be .38 special, which is 2x the price of 9mm. If you want the skill derived from a da trigger but actually want practice making it go bang, your dao semi-auto (or da/sa) would be cheaper in the long run.

In my opinion a DA revolver will make you a better shooter. The concentration required to make everything work each and every time is invaluable. Once you master the DA revolver the Glock "safe action" or the trigger on my SIG P365 are easy to operate. My son wanted to shoot all the "cool pistols" but I started him on a S&W M17 to work on his targeting through the trigger stroke. He thanks me for it now.

Site Supporter
    I have an older 3" RB 65 that is best of breed and was < $150 from a pile of old cop guns.
    I think I hate you, just a little.

I have a 13-3 3” RB. 95% or so. I paid ... kind of a lot for it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    I love revolvers, but most of your suitable choices will be .38 special, which is 2x the price of 9mm. If you want the skill derived from a da trigger but actually want practice making it go bang, your dao semi-auto (or da/sa) would be cheaper in the long run.
    As J.J. said, start with a .22, and you won’t have that problem. M18 is one of my favorite for a lot of reasons.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I think I hate you, just a little.

I have a 13-3 3” RB. 95% or so. I paid ... kind of a lot for it.
    I know the prices today are way higher. I was quietly buying them when everyone was transitioning to pistols. Found a similar deal on a LNIB 3" RB Mod 10-8 with all papers and an intact box. It pays to buy your LGS guy/gal a bottle of their favorite when they bird dog the things you covet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Well since I don't have a revolver anymore I'm leaning towards the S&W K Frame.

Any thoughts on a snub-nosed model vs one with a longer barrel?
    I got both, and would recommend the 4" for range & target fun. Though if you can grab a 3" for a reasonable amount, get it.

Every American should own a S&W K-Frame.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List