Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Action - How much am I missing out on?

Double Action - How much am I missing out on?

I've been hearing about how useful a double action is in learning to shoot well.

I don't have a DA pistol, and I'm wondering if I should get one. Don't really have a huge want for one, but if it gives me a quantifiable improvement shooting my Glocks, I could see it being worthwhile.

If it's worth getting a DA pistol, what do you recommend?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I've been hearing about how useful a double action is in learning to shoot well.

I don't have a DA pistol, and I'm wondering if I should get one. Don't really have a huge want for one, but if it gives me a quantifiable improvement shooting my Glocks, I could see it being worthwhile.

If it's worth getting a DA pistol, what do you recommend?
    Easy.
    S&W K frame, or Beretta 92D.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I've been shooting a GP100 since October, and I've found I've been shooting everything better.

I'm not totally new to DA shooting. I carried an M9, then later a 5906 and 4006 on duty, but they were only DA for the first shot, and it's been rather a long time.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Easy.
    S&W K frame, or Beretta 92D.
    I’ll second the K-frame, especially if you can get one of the older guns at trade-in prices. I got one when I had plateaued in terms of trigger control and with the help of a more experienced shooting buddy, it helped me a lot. I think all he did was smooth up the rebound slide and install a Wolff mainspring and it made the DA pull very easy to learn and manage.

Don’t have enough time behind a 92D to comment but I think there’s a thread here somewhere that’s devoted to it.

Site Supporter
    I bought a HK P30 and have shot most of 2,200 rounds through it in DA. I've only shot Glocks a couple of times since I started shooting the P30, but the low left bullet impacts that I've historically struggled with had disappeared the last time I shot my G26. I also bought a S&W 64 a little over a year ago, but I haven't shot it much. I really dislike cleaning revolvers. However, I'm generally pleased with my results thus far, however informal the results are.

In the spirit of being a good PF enabler, I feel compelled to announce that there are several 92Ds listed on Gunbroker tonight with buy now prices of about $350.

Well since I don't have a revolver anymore I'm leaning towards the S&W K Frame.

Any thoughts on a snub-nosed model vs one with a longer barrel?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    It's hard to beat the all around utility and value of a 4 inch .38/.357 revolver. While I lean toward old K frame S&W, the Ruger GP100 is a nice gun too. Look for older police trades that pop up from time to time. My Glock abilities have improved with increased time with a TDA pistol.
    Last edited by Jason M; 03-15-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    It's hard to beat the all around utility and value of a 4 inch .38/.357 revolver.
    This bears repeating. S&W Models 10, 13, 15, 64, 65, and 67 is where it's at.

I bought the inexpensive SIG SP2022 to A) learn, enjoy and master the TDA trigger system and B) improve my trigger control with any platform. I feel that I accomplished both.

CZ P-07/P-09 DA/SA complements Glock 17/19 really well.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List