Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 series vs Beach Sand

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post

Should I be concerned with the M9A1 & B92 compact ability to work with low lubrication and FL Gulf Coast beach sand thrown into the action?

-Side note to this is how is Beretta's Bruniton finish hold up with salt water exposure?
    I can go a year or 8-10K without cleaning a 92, but only 1500-2200 rounds without oiling it. You will induce malfunctions if it's dry.

Saltwater and small Beretta parts will be bad.

I don't wade flats with a gun and on a boat I leave it in my tackle bag.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Hopping off the bow of a boat onto waist deep water, yes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Is this recreationally or professionally?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Are you serious?

Are you really rolling around in the sand and swimming in the beach with a pistol in your trunks?
    Living in and around boats/ocean is hard on guns. Salt water is very harsh.

I don't carry a gun on my person while going to the beach with the family to lay about and swim.

Unfortunately that's about 1% of my time around the water.

While I'm no longer a commercial lobsterman my Captain has been known to ask if I can go on a trip here and there. Add in digging cherry stones on my knees, wading thigh deep for oysters that I need to bend over to get, hiking along shores, camping on the sand, hopping out of a boat to secure a line, falling, sitting next to a fire with a kid or a dog kicking up sand, etc, etc.

I have historicaly carried my g19 when in and around salt water. I find it easier to dunk in fresh water, then oil when I get a chance. I haven't found Berettas to be as resistant to running dry as well as glocks.

I'm not to to worried about sand in a Beretta due to my experience with it in the Hawaiian, Philippine, and Iraqi sand.

A good holster helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Living in and around boats/ocean is hard on guns. Salt water is very harsh.

I don't carry a gun on my person while going to the beach with the family to lay about and swim.

Unfortunately that's about 1% of my time around the water.

While I'm no longer a commercial lobsterman my Captain has been known to ask if I can go on a trip here and there. Add in digging cherry stones on my knees, wading thigh deep for oysters that I need to bend over to get, hiking along shores, camping on the sand, hopping out of a boat to secure a line, falling, sitting next to a fire with a kid or a dog kicking up sand, etc, etc.

I have historicaly carried my g19 when in and around salt water. I find it easier to dunk in fresh water, then oil when I get a chance. I haven't found Berettas to be as resistant to running dry as well as glocks.

I'm not to to worried about sand in a Beretta due to my experience with it in the Hawaiian, Philippine, and Iraqi sand.

A good holster helps too.
    Dude I get it. I grew up in the Caribbean and spent my HS years screwing around boats before going into the Navy. I know all to well what salt water will do to stainless steel and other common marine metals.

I have a hard time conceptualizing a desire to be armed at all times when boating recreationally. So be it if others want to or feel the need to, but it's an alien concept to me.

Dude I get it. I grew up in the Caribbean and spent my HS years screwing around boats before going into the Navy. I know all to well what salt water will do to stainless steel and other common marine metals.

I have a hard time conceptualizing a desire to be armed at all times when boating recreationally. So be it if others want to or feel the need to, but it's an alien concept to me.
    Yes, I desire to carry at all times. Putting a seat belt on during a crash is an alien concept to me.

So the OP wasn't asking for an opinion on whether or not he should be armed....."Is this recreationally or professionally?" Holy fucking shit, what's with all the snide virtue signal cropdusting of posts lately. It was old as fuck yesterday.

As far as the OP goes, try it out, I think it will be fine. Give the gun attention due the circumstances. They have been getting put through the wringer for the last 17 going on 18 years now. MEUSOC (not MARSOC) 1911s and P226es and 228s on the Navy side were getting (some still do) land, over the beach, and salt water treatment for a long time without any major issues.
    Last edited by UniSol; 03-14-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Is this recreationally or professionally?
    Recreational.

To provide some better context, a lot of beaches/parks along the southwest Florida Gulf Coast have inland trails that are accessible via boat. Most of this area though has mangroves right to the shore line and the best way to anchor a boat to gain access to these areas is partially off shore in the flats. The wife likes these areas as she can takes pictures of all kinds of birds, I like it because my cell phone won't work out there and it helps expose the kids to Wild Florida, not just the I4 Corridor. We've seen all kinds of wild life on these trips, so my question stems more from a "if I need to draw my pistol and shoot a hog/bobcat/coyote, will I get more than 1 shot before the gun locks up". I'm just sum-dood who likes to go outside, not an operator operating operationally.

Honestly I would just use a different gun. A polymer gun like that you don’t care about like a Glock or something. I would locate a police trade in or a old gen 3 g19 or 17 and use that. If you really wanted to have a more impervious pistol then look at Robars NP3+ Norton special.

Not that the Berettas could not take it but I would not take my Wilson Berettas boating or fishing. A Glock is easier to maintain in those situations. Then keep the B92s clean and lubed for your normal carry and use.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Honestly I would just use a different gun. A polymer gun like that you don’t care about like a Glock or something. I would locate a police trade in or a old gen 3 g19 or 17 and use that. If you really wanted to have a more impervious pistol then look at Robars NP3+ Norton special.

Not that the Berettas could not take it but I would not take my Wilson Berettas boating or fishing. A Glock is easier to maintain in those situations. Then keep the B92s clean and lubed for your normal carry and use.
    I had a bunch of sand get in a G17.4 and completely lock the trigger up once. It had a grip plug and everything. I didn't realize it until I went to break it down to clean it; I couldn't pull the trigger to field strip it. I did really like the weight on the belt though.

User Tag List