Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan interviews Pat McNamara

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems as good a place as any to link to this recent article by PatMac. It's striking the consistency of message from the trainers from a particular unit background.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...r29jCgdUA3UJAo

"Don’t train for what’s most likely to happen based on statistics. Train for the worst-case scenario. A person who can score a 90 or better in a 10-round, slow-fire bullseye drill is more capable of hitting a target past the bullshit 15 feet than that guy who dumps mags at 3 meters. The pistol is accurate to 50 yards. So why not train to its potential?"

I change channels on the trainers or authors who make the "we training the wrong skills" argument to push almost all work at "ave gunfight ranges". I consider it a fad. Maybe relevant to the barely trained, barely competent I guess.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I hosted Pat, for Grey Group (or whatever came out of grey group) for what I believe may have been one of his first open enrollment classes. If memory serves it was a combined pistol/rifle class. At least a couple members here were in that class.

I liked him as a dude (we spent the night before td1 at the hotel bar pretty much alone and I recall greatly enjoying the conversation) and he showed up the day before td1 and helped me get the range setup.

One funny story, we needed to move a wall that was set into the ground with posts. 4x8 sheet of plywood with a 2x4 frame, screwed to two 4x4s set in the ground, no concrete. As I went to walk away to get the drill, he said “we don’t need a drill, just get the other side” and proceeded to yank his end up out of the ground. I couldn’t get mine to budge, so he came over and yanked my side out too. I felt pretty weak, but he in no way made me feel that way which I respected.

There was some amount of “character” once everyone else showed up that I didn’t experience the day before, but not quite as intense as what you see in his own YouTube. I’d say about equal to what I saw in the Rohan video.

I enjoyed the class, but didn’t find there to be much in the way of what I’d call “teaching”. Which is ok, virtually nobody actually “teaches”.

What I did like was the way he set up the class, and I learned some things for that as a wannabe instructor. As a shooter, I really enjoyed the scenarios that he set up. He set up maybe 3-5 bays with different drills or scenarios and broke the group down into smaller groups to shoot each bay. I thought that was a great use of time, even though it made “teaching” pretty much impossible as he had to move from bay to bay.

I think I wrote an article about the class somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Seems as good a place as any to link to this recent article by PatMac. It's striking the consistency of message from the trainers from a particular unit background.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...r29jCgdUA3UJAo

"Don’t train for what’s most likely to happen based on statistics. Train for the worst-case scenario. A person who can score a 90 or better in a 10-round, slow-fire bullseye drill is more capable of hitting a target past the bullshit 15 feet than that guy who dumps mags at 3 meters. The pistol is accurate to 50 yards. So why not train to its potential?"

I change channels on the trainers or authors who make the "we training the wrong skills" argument to push almost all work at "ave gunfight ranges". I consider it a fad. Maybe relevant to the barely trained, barely competent I guess.
    Thanks for that article link.

Getting into informal bullseye on B8 targets has been one of the better things I have added to my training over the last few years. It has helped all of my combat shooting training and I won't go to a range without at least 20-30 rounds shot from the 25 for score.

For me, it's vital.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It does make a certain amount of sense until you realize that if you're in a gunfight, then you're already in a worst-case scenario. It's also easy to get students to feel proficient when the standard is low.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I enjoyed the class, but didn’t find there to be much in the way of what I’d call “teaching”. Which is ok, virtually nobody actually “teaches”.

Rob that's actually painful both personally and professionally for me to hear.

I'd like to offer you a free slot to my upcoming ECQC in Florida in October, if my type of content interests you.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Rob that's actually painful both personally and professionally for me to hear.

I'd like to offer you a free slot to my upcoming ECQC in Florida in October, if my type of content interests you.
    I actually really regret not getting into one of your courses back when I was hitting up classes a lot. You are on my (very) short list of guys I wished I had gotten some training with.

Unfortunately my lifestyle these days doesn't allow for such pursuits, but I do truly appreciate the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What do you mean?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    I greatly enjoyed the podcast. Between the Army and national guard I spent twenty years doing the infantry gig. I had active duty friends that went SF. I got out and became a police officer and guardsman. I have known many crazy fuckers from the military. Not many at that level in policing. Policing is too boring for most of these guys. What pat said was spot on for me. I recognized much of what he said. I did a lot of soul searching before I got out. I talked to as many retired friends as I could. I asked them all how they knew enough was enough. The common answer was injuries. It was a sad day when I got out. My best friends are from my guard unit. We get together once a month for breakfast. I have two good friends that took one of Pats classes. They both told I have to take a class from him

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    What do you mean?
    For a long time, I've differentiated "teaching" from "instructing". it's kind of hard to explain, until you finally come across a teacher and after that you have a bit of an epiphany (or at least, I did) and you begin to categorize people into one or the other, with about 95% falling in the "instructor" category and 5% or less falling in the "teacher" category.

Randy Cain, for example, is a Teacher.

ETA:
    that isn't to say that you can't have valuable takeaways from someone that's an instructor and not a teacher, I have many times, but there's a distinct difference.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-19-2019 at 11:39 AM.

User Tag List