Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan interviews Pat McNamara

I like PatMacs stuff. His instagram and the like are awesome. I find gis Sunday Sentinal Sermon to be pretty awesome stuff. I follow him, his gym, University of Badassary, and a few dudes he seems to work with alot. I say this because I want to be clear that I'm a fan.

I thought his podcast with Rogan could have been better. Alot of the conversation was about his diet, fitness, previous injury, stuff like that. The stuff that interested me far more was his outlook and philosophy on stuff. "Every night is Saturday Night, and every morning is Monday morning" and stuff like that. Him talking about finding purpose by helping others was pretty awesome, and how one day he just decided he wasnt going to let life beat him down. THAT stuff was gold. But it made up so little of the podcast.

I was hoping to see him talk about how much fun "tactical" classes can be and how everyone should give them a try to see if they like them. Kind of put a face out to a wide audience, but that wasnt discussed much.

Joe seemed uninterested in much deep conversation. Im sure alot of his SF stories cant be discussed at all. And thats fine. But there seemed like alot left on the table. The converaation wasnt super attention grabbing like I thought it would be.

One thing that is for sure after the podcast, PatMac is a badass. He takes it to the max in everything he does, is always ready to kick someones ass, exercises hard and recovers with beer. Has a ton of hobbies for enjoyment and is metal at all of them. Former SF whos wrecked dirtbikes, been dragged by planes, been a face shooter and taught face shooters, and lived to the fullest at all times. That dude makes manly men look like wussbags.

I'd like to get to a class of his at some point.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Thanks, okie john. When I meant persona, I meant the way high octane personality he puts forward in his videos and the training field.

That is what I perceived from when you wrote:

I always thought that his personality in the videos was put on and high octane, but it never really bothered me for a number of reasons. First, his background earns tremendous respect. Second, he seems very enthusiastic and is not putting anyone down or belittling people.

I think he is an exercise and conditioning fanatic and brings that into play in his videos, showcasing his unique persona and getting him exposure and viewers whom he hopes to draw students from. Listening to his interview with Joe Rogan confirms what I thought--that he is seeking to lead by example. Even if someone cannot do the workouts that he does (which would be most people) seeing him and his enthusiasm will hopefully encourage people who are not exercising to exercise, and encourage those who exercise to push it up a not or two. His high octane delivery would not bother me since I am accustomed to it from seeing his videos and he seems like a genuine guy.
    Sounds like you understand the guy. He's definitely high-octane but he comes from a high-octane line of work. That stands out if you're not used to it. If you are, then he's only slightly out of the ordinary. Every former special ops guy that I know has to work very hard to fit in, especially in the corporate world. I've had to bite my tongue so many times that it's a wonder I still have one.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I liked PatMac when we were both in the military, I enjoyed several classes with him after he entered the training world. He is the real deal.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....stro-Valley-CA

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/m...43236916124051
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Pat is a goddamn national treasure. Anyone who is that excited to train is awesome in my book. I see his videos on Insta and youtube and think "fuck I need to go harder" because a 55 year old man is kicking my ass every single day.

Also, this was a really fun podcast to listen to, and I really enjoyed how frank Pat was about his struggles with alcohol and depression.

Joe Rogan interviews Pat McNamara

I listened to it, and enjoyed it. although like most, I hoped for more tales of high speed bad assery from his Delta days.

If anyone is interested, Ed Calderon from "Ed's Manafesto" has been a guest on a couple of podcasts. I find his stories interesting.

Last edited by Gadfly; 03-18-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I listened to it, and enjoyed it. although like most, I hoped for more tales of high speed bad assery from his Delta days.

If anyone is interested, Ed Calderon from "Ed's Manafesto" has been a guest on a couple of podcasts. I find his stories interesting.

On which podcasts has he been a guest? I’ve heard him in a couple interviews and they were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    There is no persona. That's who he is. He understands in his bones how warriors are meant behave and he lives that life.

When I was around him, he absolutely led by example and plenty of people with far more rank could have taken a leaf from his book. He was as close to being 100% squared away as anyone I've ever seen. He did not suffer fools gladly and diplomacy played no part if he felt that an on-the-spot correction was in order. On the other hand, he also worked hard to ensure that everyone around him was as close to being 100% squared away as possible. Those of us who were squared away (or were trying to be) had no problem with him. Others might have found him tedious.

I am not claiming that Mac followed the rules. He did not. He and a couple of other guys on his ODA carried out some of the most epic military misbehavior that I have ever encountered, but those are not my stories to tell.

And yes, he did retire as a SGM. He found a place where they understand people like him and he damned near ended up running the show.

Okie John
    I don't think higher compliments are possible.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I took one of Pat's classes and what I remember most (outside of the instruction) was Pat personally greeting everyone. He looks you straight in the eyes shakes your hand and introduces himself. Without naming names not all the sudo-celebrities working the training circuit are as gentlemanly.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    You’re right, now that I think about it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by 4gallonbucket View Post
    On which podcasts has he been a guest? I’ve heard him in a couple interviews and they were great.

I have only heard a couple of these. But I will listen to them over time. Word is, folks are trying to hook him up with Joe Rogan.

“A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List