Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan interviews Pat McNamara

Site Supporter

Joe Rogan interviews Pat McNamara

To say I am excited about this would be an understatement. Haven't listened yet, but I will be this evening.

Watched this last night. He’s an interesting dude, I enjoy listening to his perspective and like how he’s incorporated some of his fitness into his shooting. The part about his depression was pretty good, sure a lot of veterans can probably relate to that.

Some of his YouTube videos are hilarious when he really gets into his persona that he’s created. Range theatrics is a classic. He’d be a fun guy to have a beer with for sure.

Almost entirely related to the fitness side of his business, but still good. He presents as intense, passionate, and maybe just a little nuts(in a fun way),but underneath his persona, he’s obviously a very smart, educated guy. I would pay to go along with him on one of his treks through the Bob Marshall wilderness. Casting for trout, encounters with Ursus Arctos, no cell reception for days and learning orienteering from a guy who was operating behind East German lines back in the day sounds like a great time.
    Last edited by Hieronymous; 03-13-2019 at 08:18 PM.

I find him entertaining to follow on IG and he has some real gems. Seems, in general, to be a fairly well grounded guy with a been there done that set of experiences, but stays well within his lane and background. Occasionally, a little preachy on certain things (politics, is usually where I scroll on past the post).

All in all - I find him far more entertaining, intelligible, and thoughtful than quite a number of “shooting celebrities” out there.

Site Supporter
    I think I get what @blues is saying. He prefers substance over persona, no matter how "cool" that persona is.

Usually I can't stand the persona over the top look at me guys. What I like about McNamara is he actually seems authentic, legit and a true rebel. All this while being confident, but not condescending or arrogant.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I know people who have trained with PM and they told me that he literally gets into character like a WWE wrestler.

I understand it but it’s not for me.

If that's true then I think I would actually enjoy it. Maybe that's because I loved wrestling as a kid, and how out there those guys were. Stories of the Macho Man Randy Savage are insane, and they said he really was the Macho Man even outside the ring.

I have nothing against the guy, but I have no use for a “persona”.

I understand that people like it and it makes him money.
    I don’t know where the “true” personality ends and the persona begins (and how would I know?). Maybe the Rick Flair thing is how he is 100% and it’s authentic, but I find it a little goofy and distracting.

Credit to one of his books, I never wear flip flops (got to be ready at all times!) but I also have clicked on one of his IG videos only to hear him he spend 3 minutes building up to telling me to wear my seatbelt. Not everything anyone puts out is going to be gold.

He’s taught some colleagues some private classes and the reviews were that his classes were heavy on drills but light on the technical aspects of shooting.
    Last edited by BigD; 03-13-2019 at 10:12 PM.

I have nothing against the guy, but I have no use for a “persona”.

I understand that people like it and it makes him money.
    I can tolerate "persona" to a degree from some people. In McNamara's case, the fitness blended with shooting stuff - I haven't seen a persona, just tips, tricks, and genuine discussion (then again, I am HEAVY HANDED with the fast forward button when watching videos from anyone). The jacked up pickup truck and redneck attitude in some of his social media stuff doesn't really seem to actually be him, seems more like something he puts on for the "fans". So, I skip that shit and move on.

For me, it's simply a case of ignoring the irrelevant (to me) and focusing on the relevant.

And I at least find his stuff useful or at least educational at least from time to time. There are some folks out there...(CoughColionNoirCough) who are listening to their own bullshit and adcopy way too much.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-13-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    I think this is just a question of taste.

Normally I cannot stand this kind of stuff. Fail videos, Family Feud, youtube prank channels, 99.9 % of entertainment, people making vidoes of themselves playing on line games, etc. Still a lot of good people I know like it, and get joy out of it. I had rather debate gay marriage on a gun board (and I prefer to avoid that too!) than watch any of that stuff, and they wouldn't even begin to understand that. Different strokes for different folks.

PM is knowledgeable, but also funny. Maybe not in the way he intends, but funny non the less. Certain extreme and intense personalities bring me joy to watch in action.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Normally I cannot stand this kind of stuff...Family Feud
    Don't you fuckin' talk shit about Family Feud.

User Tag List