Thread: El Diablo

El Diablo

JJ Racaza is an absolute trigger control nazi, and says that great trigger control is key to his competition success. JJ regularly uses a six plate dueling tree for developing trigger control, and thinks this piece of equipment is essential.

JJ’s signature drill on the dueling tree is called “El Diablo.” You start at ten yards loaded with 18 rounds, draw and shoot six plates, run to fifteen yards and shoot six plates, and finish at twenty yards with six plates. It is Virginia count, and if you miss, the drill stops and is over. The miss and you are done part creates a lot of pressure, when balancing speed with finishing the drill. JJ’s record is 12 something seconds, which is amazing. My best is 16 something, and it is a real effort to shoot this clean at a relevant speed, as those five inch plates are very demanding, especially at twenty yards.

This is what it looks like.

My wife’s support arm has been hurting the last few days, so she has been running it strong hand only, and managed a clean run at 24 something seconds with one hand, although unfortunately I didn’t video it. We cut her some slack in practice one hand, allowing her to continue, given how hard it is. Here is an example.

If you want to work trigger control, and have access to a dueling tree, give this a whirl, but bring lots of ammo as it is addicting!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

*like (searches MGM for dueling tree price)
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    *like (searches MGM for dueling tree price)
    We have been borrowing one, but just bought this one.

https://www.amazon.com/CMP-Dueling-T.../dp/B00IJ0XJOW

Damn!!! As always nice shooting. Your wife’s weak hand is better than most freestyle.

Just received a four plate (because easier to transport) dueling tree from Red Stitch targets.

https://redstitchtargets.com/

Packaging was very good, and product is even better. Excellent construction and an ingenious design requiring no tools to assemble.

Here it is next to their A zone target.

Name:  5179FF11-4B01-4F03-BFD2-2E46ECA6B0EE.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  98.7 KB

And the back, showing how the plates slip in and out.

Name:  03BE9AA8-1390-4C34-9D6D-BAF1367C31AC.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  33.0 KB

I think your wife's better than me.

User Tag List