Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
Considering that Level IIIa is the top of the line soft armor, I have considered getting a thinner, lower level vest. Realistically, do I need to stop ".357 Sig FMJ FN (Flat Nose) bullets traveling at a velocity of ~1470 ft/s and .44 Magnum SJHP (Semi Jacketed Hollow Point) rounds at a velocity of 1430 ft/s."?? Or could I go down to Level II and stop "9mm FMJ traveling at a speed of ~1245 ft/s", which is our duty load... and save 25% of the weight and thickness of the current vest. Much like the difference between concealing a G26 and a p365, a little thinner makes a huge difference.

I have pulled so many guns off crooks over the years. The majority are using the cheapest wolf or white box ammo made. 95% of the time its ball. Very rare to see quality JHP ammo unless the gun was loaded with it when stolen.

I just think I would be more inclined to wear a lighter thinner (ie Lower threat level) vest for daily work like surveillance.

Side note: I was farmed out to the Secret Service for several months during the last election. My wife was asking why i was not wearing my vest under my suit at all these rallies and campaign stops. Uhhh, because my issued vest barely fit under my suit, and was incredibly uncomfortable (and there were metal detectors at the door of all the events, so we were more concerned with plastic or wooden shivs than guns on the rope line). Even back then, I considered a level IIa bare minimum vest would be better than skipping my vest all together.
Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
I've entertained this thought myself quite a bit, and, in fact, suggested it to my agency as an option (since NO ONE in my agency wears armor unless someone orders them to). I was told "not enough protection - we'd open ourselves to liability." Sigh...
I did this exact thing. My agency issues level IIIa, but I opted for a level II. Comparing the actual ratings, I didn't see the IIIa cover any velocities that the II wouldn't in normal pistol barrel lengths. The cost savings got me a hard Impact plate for the front pocket, which I consider a better deal anyway.