Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why New York Detectives Don’t Always Wear Bulletproof Vests

Way back, Second Chance used to make a carrier that you'd put on like a T-shirt. I had one for a while. Other than a single day detail or two, I've always worked uniform but I always thought that style carrier would be good for a detective to wear under a properly sized dress shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Way back, Second Chance used to make a carrier that you'd put on like a T-shirt. I had one for a while. Other than a single day detail or two, I've always worked uniform but I always thought that style carrier would be good for a detective to wear under a properly sized dress shirt.
    That's pretty much what I'm wearing here. It's the Velocity ULV profile armor inside what is essentially under-armor.

Name:  ChameleonFront.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  36.4 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's pretty much what I'm wearing here. It's the Velocity ULV profile armor inside what is essentially under-armor.

Name:  ChameleonFront.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  36.4 KB
    I've got a similar set up from my days at SOCOM. Problem is, at least with mine, the coverage is minimal, and limited to square on front and back. No lateral coverage at all.

Still, MUCH more comfy than wearing the 3/4" thick, stiff crap that they issue us through my agency...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've got a similar set up from my days at SOCOM. Problem is, at least with mine, the coverage is minimal, and limited to square on front and back. No lateral coverage at all.

Still, MUCH more comfy than wearing the 3/4" thick, stiff crap that they issue us through my agency...
    Right, it's a compromise, but it's so comfortable that there isn't much of a point for not wearing it. When someone pointed out that it has less coverage than a full vest, I asked them if they wore their vest every time they went to knock on doors.

"Well, no...."

Therein lies the purpose, that it's better than nothing if your other option is leaving the vest in the trunk.

Specific to plain clothes duties, the pockets on the side are great for concealing a radio, as well. Tucks right up underneath my armpit.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Therein lies the purpose, that it's better than nothing if your other option is leaving the vest in the trunk.
    It seems like in every profession the wisdom of compromise grows ever more apparent with each passing day.

Site Supporter
    My work provides ballistic vests to the Civil Process and prisoner transport staff and mandates their wear. Court baliffs have the option of waiving the issuance of a vest, but if they accept one, they are required to wear it. I had one issued to me during my 2.5 years in IA but never wore it. Like others have stated, my job was to get people to talk and wearing armor would have most likely been an impediment. I have never seen any of our jail investigators/alternative sentencing staff wear a vest in plainclothes. We are in the process of buying stab vests for the jail deputies.
    Our county PD provides vests to all sworn folks and requires them when in uniform.

I have had excellent luck with body armor fit and comfort, but it's a process. Years ago, I started with manufacturer fit and returned it repeatedly until it was right for me. Each new vest thereafter is just a tracing of the last well-fitting panels, with tweaks for the new cut of whatever is being provided. They are returned and recut until they are right. I have had custom carriers sewn to reduce the extra bulk of straps, velcro, and all the adjustment points. Dress clothes are tailored for armor if they're likely to be worn with it.

And since external carriers have been mentioned, this is worth repeating:

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    A vast amount of cops out there are wearing improperly fit body armor. Even if measured for the individual rather than generic (L/XL), manufacturer templates are cut for comfort and not protection, ending up undersized and/or gapped. If panels measured for concealable carriers are dropped into external carriers, it's even worse. Manufacturer suggested fit should largely be ignored, panels returned and recut as needed, and fitting must consider external carriers. External carriers should also be cut to the panels, or have integrated suspension systems to hang the panels properly.
    Last edited by ST911; 03-17-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    How is concealable body armor worn UNDER your shirt going to compromise your ability to gain rapport with a subject you are interviewing? Am I missing something here?

Get armor that fits right, get your dress shirt sized right to fit OVER the armor that fits right, and press on . . . .

(The armor that Second Chance used to sell that had a T-Shirt type carrier was called the "Checkmate" system. I think. I bought some about 30 years ago and still have the armor and two carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    How is concealable body armor worn UNDER your shirt going to compromise your ability to gain rapport with a subject you are interviewing? Am I missing something here?

Get armor that fits right, get your dress shirt sized right to fit OVER the armor that fits right, and press on . . . .

(The armor that Second Chance used to sell that had a T-Shirt type carrier was called the "Checkmate" system. I think. I bought some about 30 years ago and still have the armor and two carriers.
    Jeff has it down. Most folks forget that you have to "up-size" your clothing if you are going to add a vest underneath. Its the same if you normally wear pants that are "just tight enough" then add a IWB holster. That extra inch or so in girth makes all the difference; I found wearing pants one size larger (despite the blow to my ego from having to purchase such) was much more comfortable...

There is plenty of low profile LIIIa and under soft armor or thin plate carriers, including ones like TGS posted (or this one: https://www.armoredmobility.com/pdf/ppc.pdf), that can easily be worn under a shirt and jacket.

I wore LIIIa armor for all 3 days of a recent ECQC class and had no issues. I have also worn such items in urban trauma center ED's without any complications.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 03-20-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List