Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Taffin article on the .357 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
    Can’t wait for part III.
    I always go to JT’s articles first. A first rate gentleman.

Skip
    Then here's another for you: 60 Years of the Ruger Blackhawk by John Taffin

I just found it so I haven't read it yet...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Interesting he's not aware of the pre-Match Champion half-lug GP100s, and no mention of the 5-inch Lipsey's specials. But I do like how his six-inch GP gets it done with the Gold Dots!
    I think the magazine may be re-printing an old series of articles, perhaps with some editing. Overall, something seemed very familiar about many of the words, as I was reading them. (One term I saw, twice, sounded very un-Taffin-like, indicating editing, but I will reserve judgement, until I have seen some of his newer work.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-18-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    In any case, your half-lug GP was made at least several years before the Match Champion was a thing. If the editors are either inserting comments about the MC that he didn't make or inserting their ignorance of older models into his mouth, it's a sad state of affairs.

I did once work with an editor who completely missed the point of an article and "corrected" a particular detail in every instance, making the entire article utterly nonsensical if the reader wasn't smart enough to mentally undo his find and replace. Fortunately, that one wasn't mine. I can't say everything I wrote escaped his treatment, unfortunately.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    In any case, your half-lug GP was made at least several years before the Match Champion was a thing. If the editors are either inserting comments about the MC that he didn't make or inserting their ignorance of older models into his mouth, it's a sad state of affairs.

I did once work with an editor who completely missed the point of an article and "corrected" a particular detail in every instance, making the entire article utterly nonsensical if the reader wasn't smart enough to mentally undo his find and replace. Fortunately, that one wasn't mine. I can't say everything I wrote escaped his treatment, unfortunately.
    One of my LEO colleagues penned a magazine article about defensive shotguns. (His girlfriend photographed another colleague, and me, holding shotguns, to illustrate the article.) The magazine editor totally replaced everything Brian said about ammunition, with his own use-only-birdshot-for-home-defense-BS. (It was more of a survival magazine than a gun magazine, but one has to start with the lower-tier, before working up to the higher-tier magazines.)

Having said that, editors have their place. I remember Craig Boddington writing a good article on the subject of editing; even though he edited articles written by others, he valued good editors doing their job with his own articles.

Back to Mr. Taffin; let’s keep in mind that he started using a computer with voice recognition software a number of years ago, and having others do much of his test-shooting, because shooting Magnums and other big bores affects the health of one’s hands. He may well be saying words nearly identical to what he wrote years ago, because so much about the .357 Magnum is, indeed, long-established history.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-19-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List