Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what I don't know about owb holsters (brainstorming design specs?)

Owb sucks. I have no idea how anyone does it. Even when my shoulder range of motion wasn’t total crap It was slow and awkward for me.

Answering the question no one asked - in 10 year of AIWB carry none of the issues you’ve got have plagued me.

Name:  8D6F875B-1B66-45E9-B577-51A1E2963743.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  83.5 KB

Tom at Dark Star Gear made me an OWB for Glock 17/19/26 which is just awesome.

Here's a link to a small write-up I did on it. If he still makes it, or an upgrade, I highly recommend it. Very secure, tight to the body and excellent in every way.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Owb sucks. I have no idea how anyone does it. Even when my shoulder range of motion wasn’t total crap It was slow and awkward for me.

Answering the question no one asked - in 10 year of AIWB carry none of the issues you’ve got have plagued me.

Keepers Concealment holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Phart View Post
    Keepers Concealment holster?
    Yes. Imo it’s the best of its kind

Get a holster shell that works with this:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-b...er-mount-only/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Get a holster shell that works with this:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-b...er-mount-only/
    Honestly I have a hard time squaring that thing (and I have one) with his wish list:
    Essentially I'm looking for an OWB (~3:30) holster for IDPA, range days/classes, and the occasional hiking/hunting trip.
    I'm sure it could be made to work, but there are much easier solutions elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

In my 20 years working at the power plant, I've never smacked my head off of the conduit that the 6'4" guy smacks his head off every time.

Since noone else has mentioned it: https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/OWB-V2.html

Not sure where the concept that pancake holsters "move" a lot - if that's happening it's a BELT issue, not a holster issue. I've got plenty of different pancake holsters, and NONE of them shift, even a little, on my Volund Atlas G-hook belt. Of course, they're all 1.5" belt loops riding a good 1.5" belt, so...

My all time personal favorite OWB holster (wear it every day) is the now-defunct X Concealment C-series. It's basically a leather pancake OWB turned out in kydex. If you could find something along those lines, I think it would meet all your requirements. IIRC CCC makes the "Clingon" holster that's very similar - they may or may not mold it for you with a full muzzle coverage (currently looks like they only churn it out in a "slide" configuration). The Perun would be a solid option (and cheap!), but not currently available for P365.

Kydex is HANDS DOWN the best option for the purposes you propose - moderately demanding use in outdoor settings. I LUBS me some hand tooled leather, but it might not stand up to the rigors of hard range use and/or hiking/camping (depending on your climate). I ruined a beautiful leather pancake holster during a week long shooting course at FLETC (August in coastal south GA - hot and humid!) - by day three it was so sweat soaked I literally couldn't reholster anymore. Had to run over to Sallys and buy a Safariland "duty" holster to get through the rest of the course. Kydex will also keep its shape - no worries about it "collapsing."

If you ABSOLUTELY want a leather rig, look at the Mitch Rosen Express line. Good turn around time and pretty good value for the money. I have 5JRs for "dress up" holsters, and the Premier has pretty sturdy belt loop-straps that allow for easy on/off.

WRT comments about OWB "sucking," different strokes. I've been carrying OWB at 3:30 every day for about the last 20 years now with no issues, and longer than that on a casual and competition basis. Conversely, EVERY attempt to switch to AIWB or even "traditional" IWB have failed due to lack of comfort. Of course, YMMV, and all that jazz...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Honestly I have a hard time squaring that thing (and I have one) with his wish list:

I'm sure it could be made to work, but there are much easier solutions elsewhere.
    It was meant as a discussion starter, reference the importance of ride height, cant, and position for supporting a fast, reliable OWB draw.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If Kydex is a must I've been pleased with this one: https://kt-mech.com/im_menu_gf.html

User Tag List