Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Stoegers advanced skill builder

Ben Stoegers advanced skill builder

Anyone every take this class? Actually anyone take any of his classes? Obviously he is at the top of the heap when it comes to competition shooters. Just curious to hear from any that have taken his classes especially that advanced skill builder. Just signed up for it and looking forward to it.

There are a few older AARs on his various classes, all positive:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hlight=stoeger

I do find it interesting that he did not take many classes himself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Stoeger View Post
    The only formal instruction I have had is a concealed carry class in 2006 and 40 hours of Law Enforcement firearms training in 2008. Other than that I just read books and watch training DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    There are a few older AARs on his various classes, all positive:

I do find it interesting that he did not take many classes himself:
    Thanks, I had seen the one from Les which was quite some time ago but not the more recent one from YVK. I guess it would help if I used the search button. Not everyone writes reviews so was just curious if there were others who may have attended a recent class.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Anyone every take this class? Actually anyone take any of his classes? Obviously he is at the top of the heap when it comes to competition shooters. Just curious to hear from any that have taken his classes especially that advanced skill builder. Just signed up for it and looking forward to it.
    My advice?

DO IT!

Ben is an excellent teacher and you will most likely learn a lot, focusing on what you suck the most at. I've always REALLY enjoyed learning form him: I've done several classes, private lessons, etc over the years.

He can get a bit too sarcastic with the students ... Some people love it, some people hate it, some people don't care and look past it ... but if you listen to the actual words, it should be really worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    My advice?

DO IT!

Ben is an excellent teacher and you will most likely learn a lot, focusing on what you suck the most at. I've always REALLY enjoyed learning form him: I've done several classes, private lessons, etc over the years.

He can get a bit too sarcastic with the students ... Some people love it, some people hate it, some people don't care and look past it ... but if you listen to the actual words, it should be really worth it.
    Thanks for the feedback. I listen to a lot of his podcast so I get the sarcasm and bluntness. No issue there. Pretty constant them that he can diagnose your issues pretty quick so I expect to hear it from him. Just hope he isn’t the type who can dish it out but can’t take it coming back. Although given the skill gap I’m not in any hurry to be buried by his jabs because I’ll be an easy target. Lol

I have taken his classes a few times and hosted him locally twice for a Fundamentals/Skills and Drills combo.

I'd say that is a pretty strong endorsement.

In my experience he is pretty reserved in his edgy feedback until he gets to know you and thinks you could handle and would appreciate it. Personally I enjoy his feedback most where he is in the rarest of forms.

Taking his class is a personal gift to myself and one of my favorite things to do.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

PS> Example: He once referred to one of my (admittedly awkward) runs as 'weaponized autism'.

Pithy feedback to students who can handle it is pretty much a signature move for him. He cracks me up.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    PS> Example: He once referred to one of my (admittedly awkward) runs as 'weaponized autism'.
    I bet his breakdown of my stage run could be summarized in three words: monkey screwing a football

"Well that's frustrating", pretty much summed up 3 repeated misses on a 20 yd popper at Ben's class.

I highly recommend his classes, but don't expect to improve right away from attending one. His are more of a diagnosis, mindset, and training plan type of class.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Ben Stoeger's class is very good, probably the best you can find right now to improve your shooting. But like with any class, do not expect the improvement right away. Classes just show you the way how to practice more efficiently. You still need to practice after that on your own. This is a problem with a lot of guys who constantly take classes instead of training the right things. Ben will show you how and what to train.
    Last edited by cheby; 03-13-2019 at 04:32 PM.

User Tag List