Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019: Higher Lumens and Still All Surefire Handheld Lights Seem to Suck

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    BTW: I hadn’t realized thay Malkoff had an M61 HOT version with high/low switch optional. That’s 700+ OTF lumens with a TIR lens. Mode controlled by head twist.

I know what my next light will be.
    The Malkoff HOT/MD2 is a great light. It is my EDC.
    Throws almost as good as the Hound Dog 18650, and has good spill.
    Will run full power with no step down for about 1.5 hours on a 3500mah.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I carry two-mode lights, FourSevens Quarks. Unfortunately FourSevens no longer makes a two-mode Quark, so that reduces the number of available options.
    I really wish Surefire would use the patent they killed the good Quarks with to make their own version of the Quark with the twist head for modes with a good strobe and high mode.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I really wish Surefire would use the patent they killed the good Quarks with to make their own version of the Quark with the twist head for modes with a good strobe and high mode.
    Me too. Waiting for a surefire strobe light is why I haven't carried a tactical light in over a decade. I used to carry the original P6 and then when I lost it, I decided to wait until a Surefire strobe model came out. It's been 15 years of waiting and over the time I realized I don't actually need a tactical light, clearly, because it wouldn't have come in handy a single time in those 15 years.

I've given up on Surefire releasing a strobe light. I guess wrist mounted watch lights are more real-world usable.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    Me too. Waiting for a surefire strobe light is why I haven't carried a tactical light in over a decade. I used to carry the original P6 and then when I lost it, I decided to wait until a Surefire strobe model came out. It's been 15 years of waiting and over the time I realized I don't actually need a tactical light, clearly, because it wouldn't have come in handy a single time in those 15 years.

I've given up on Surefire releasing a strobe light. I guess wrist mounted watch lights are more real-world usable.
    I don’t know many armed professionals who want or use a strobe. It has limited use in controlling people who are unarmed and peacefully non-compliant. But I don’t want to see what a bad guys hands are doing in bursts. I’m sure there are exceptions out there, as life has few absolutes, but I consider strobing an overrated feature and associate it with folks who have never gone looking for dangerous people.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I don’t know many armed professionals who want or use a strobe. It has limited use in controlling people who are unarmed and peacefully non-compliant. But I don’t want to see what a bad guys hands are doing in bursts. I’m sure there are exceptions out there, as life has few absolutes, but I consider strobing an overrated feature and associate it with folks who have never gone looking for dangerous people.
    I'm not trying to control people with it, at all.

I'm not trying to control people with it, at all.
    How are you using it?

How are you using it?
    Masking movement.

Masking movement.
    I’ve seen it used in training to do that approaching a threshold. But there are ways to do similar things with movement of the light when using regular momentary options.

I’ve used strobe to cause people to freeze and one even sat down. But we were walking up on them in a parking lot and they were not armed or a threat. We didn’t want them to run or know how many of us there were. When using a light in conjunction with a weapon I have a hard time seeing the utility of a strobe feature.

I’ve seen it used in training to do that approaching a threshold. But there are ways to do similar things with movement of the light when using regular momentary options.
    Likewise, but technology is nice. I want all the cake.

When using a light in conjunction with a weapon I have a hard time seeing the utility of a strobe feature.
    Yup, haven't seen anything that supports Surefire adding it to the XH line and Streamlight appears to have just added it. The XH line doesn't even have a strobe rate that is fast enough. If anyone can find out who requested it and how they're using it I'm all ears.

Likewise, but technology is nice. I want all the cake.

Yup, haven't seen anything that supports Surefire adding it to the XH line and Streamlight appears to have just added it. The XH line doesn't even have a strobe rate that is fast enough. If anyone can find out who requested it and how they're using it I'm all ears.
    The strobe on my TLR-1S is nice for impromptu discos and trying to give a cat a seizure, that's about it.

I have discovered slow strobes are good for making drunk people want to vomit. Super slow strobes are good for screwing with the resetting of night vision (SOS strobe for instance is interesting in this regard), but they suck for masking movement.

I really wish Ken Good could get it all together with the Estrela. In the meantime, I guess I'm going Malkoff or Surefire with Malkoff guts.

User Tag List