Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019: Higher Lumens and Still All Surefire Handheld Lights Seem to Suck

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    How much low light training have you done? On a duty/defensive light I don’t need or want constant on as a feature. And you’re concerned about use under stress, so anything that pushes to stay on will end up on when you don’t need or want it. Additionally lights with high lumen output get hot quickly. My EDCL2-T is my fighting light that can be used for admin tasks if I need it in a pinch. My daily carry admin light is a Streamlight Microstream USB. With 250 lumens and an S clip it can be carried damn near anywhere. For $30 it’s a steal and I have them stashed all over.
    Agreed El Cid on the Streamlight Micro USBs. I forgot who posted about those before Xmas but a damn good find & like you said priced right, small & rechargeable, what’s not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    How much low light training have you done? On a duty/defensive light I don’t need or want constant on as a feature.
    Not much. Just Craig's AMIS and a little bit of low light as part of a few other structure clearing courses. Interesting idea about lack of desire for constant on. I am not sure of specific scenarios where I want constant on. Now that I think about it, some of the courses I took were around LE/MIL operations where, at least at the time, the doctrine was constant on lights for everybody. This was 15 years ago, not sure how much things have changed, but regardless as a civilian, maybe it's not needed at all.

Possibly in a survival situation, using it constant on for signalling purposes, as you're seeing a potential rescue in the distance, when the weather is cold and you can't manually strobe the light due to physical weakness. But in that case, I think twist for constant on is okay, even if I had to do it one handed.

With the Quark clickies, I’ve had no problems with accidentally going constant on, when I want momentary. I find I want constant on more than I want momentary, anyways.

I don’t carry two flashlights, though. Partly, because one is enough and partly because flashlights are utility tools for me first, offensive/defensive tools second.

If you’re searching for bad guys a lot? I can see the value in “twist for constant”. If you’re using the light for utility purposes? Clicky.

Seriously, more than once I’ve needed a flashlight and only had one hand to access it. Having to twist on a Surefire sucks in those scenarios (I’ve done it quite a few times).

I sold my surefire fury tac, and now have and carry the Elzetta Charlie 3 cell with the hi/low tailcap and spot lens, it rides on the belt, bezel down just behind my spare mag. I also purchased a bravo body and flood lens to have options as they all interchange.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    Not much. Just Craig's AMIS and a little bit of low light as part of a few other structure clearing courses. Interesting idea about lack of desire for constant on. I am not sure of specific scenarios where I want constant on. Now that I think about it, some of the courses I took were around LE/MIL operations where, at least at the time, the doctrine was constant on lights for everybody. This was 15 years ago, not sure how much things have changed, but regardless as a civilian, maybe it's not needed at all.

Possibly in a survival situation, using it constant on for signalling purposes, as you're seeing a potential rescue in the distance, when the weather is cold and you can't manually strobe the light due to physical weakness. But in that case, I think twist for constant on is okay, even if I had to do it one handed.
    I think you are overthinking potential "what if's."

My tactical handheld lights are old school surefire 6P's and Z2's with malkoff M61's in them. They are actually used on a regular basis for things like kicking in doors and blinding violent subjects, and they are simple and work great for that. Don't be fooled by Malkoff's lumen numbers, their constant output over the life of the batteries is on par with most current Surefire lights for the same number of batteries.

I usually carry a Streamlight Protac 2LX when I'm not kicking in doors because it's a great task light, easier to carry than most Surefire's, and would suffice if I needed it in a pinch.

Twist on flashlights suck! Especially when you've only got one hand to operate them or your hands are slippery or cold. I have one at work that I must use and it's a pain.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I'm probably in the minority, but for the last decade, I've only carried a single AAA cell keychain light as my EDC illumination needs, in addition to my cell phone built in flashlight app.

I use my EDC flashlight approximately 3 to 5 times per year for 30 seconds or less. I don't need rechargable, and prefer lithium non-rechargable batteries since I believe they discharge more slowly than rechargable.

I frequently read of people on forums who say they use their EDC flashlights several times per day. I easily go several months without using one. Perhaps one reason is that I keep a D-Cell Maglite in my home near my front door, so if I'm walking outside in the dark, I sometimes take it with me (And thus don't need more of an EDC light than my AAA keychain model), and even if I was EDCing a surefire, I'd still take the D-Cell Maglite with me when walking outside my home in the dark because it's a giant metal stick that is socially acceptable for me to have in my hand. Perhaps also, there's not really dark places in my day to day life that I need to illuminate. The 3 to 5 times a year covers me dropping something under my car seat once every 4 months, on average.

I also keep a surefire headlamp in my toolbag, so if I'm doing anything tool related, I use that.

That's why I think I'd be okay with forgoing a utility low-lumen option on whatever new "tactical" light I buy, because the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I won't give up my keychain light even if I carry a Surefire, because the keychain light is so small/light. And the 3 to 5 times a year I need a utility light when I'm not already carrying the D Maglite or don't have the headlamp in my toolbag, I don't mind using my keychain light or cell phone. It would add maybe 10 seconds of annual convenience to my life to have the utility light be part of the Surefire I plan to carry. But with the added complexity of switchology that might break or fail to work as desired in an emergency "tactical" situation.

That's why I'm leaning towards that Haley strategic light. I didn't even know it existed since it's not on the Surefire site.
    Last edited by powell556; 03-12-2019 at 10:05 PM.

I went with the EDCL-1T despite thinking I'd not like the gas pedal switch. I thought the -2T was a bit long for my pockets, otherwise I would have gone with it instead. For utility, I really like the gas pedal switch and I find no lag in the hard press for full.
    My light (bought in February) has a different clip than I remember the EDCs having, slightly wider and beefier. While I'd prefer even more sturdy, it'll do. It's a pretty good upgrade over the EDCL-2T clip I sourced and attached to the Tactician.

I previously used a Tactician. I liked the instant 800 lumens and really liked the size, but the more I've used them, the less I like the Maxvision beam. It just doesn't have any throw -- looking for the dog at night after she got out of the yard, etc. An older 300 lumen Surefire with the TIR lens did a far better job. Further, while the 15 lumen low setting was a good brightness for utility work, the more I used it the less I liked not having it quickly available.

If they'd give me a Tactician with a TIR head and a gas pedal switch set up for bezel-down carry and compatible with a Switchback, I'd have my ideal "tactical" light. A Stiletto with a TIR lens would be a close second.

Site Supporter
    I’m currently carrying a Tactician with the click on tail cap from an old E2d. I get high only, momentary or constant if I click all the way. Or twist the bezel for low admin tasks. I’ve got a small fortune invested in Surefire lights, because they are rugged and work when needed. However, I agree that most products SF comes out with were designed by people that have obviously never had to use a light outside of walking their dog.

BTW: I hadn’t realized thay Malkoff had an M61 HOT version with high/low switch optional. That’s 700+ OTF lumens with a TIR lens. Mode controlled by head twist.

I know what my next light will be.

User Tag List