Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beretta 92 firing pin cleaning?

My experience is similar to others set forth above.

I've found that the extractor needs cleaning relatively often (3,000-5,000 rounds--or basically every time you change a recoil spring).

Despite being right next to the extractor, firing pins don't seem to get very dirty and I have never had one break (yet). I have dug accumulated sludge off the FP spring when cleaning the extractor area, but for some reason the junk seems of build up on the outside of the spring and not move to the inside between the spring and the FP--probably not enough clearance to do that.

But overall my experience is that it is the extractor that needs cleaning, not the firing pin.

I appreciate all the experience regarding the Beretta 92 firing pin. I only have about 2000 rounds through mine with no problems. I have removed the extractor and cleaned it. I like the dry lubricant idea. I plan on converting mine to decocker only and when I have the safety/decocker removed, that will be a good time to clean and inspect the firing pin and spring. Thanks

I just replaced a broken firing pin for a trainer I know who dry fires WAY too much. It is a PITA to get at it that way. As Jon mentioned, easier way is to pop the extractor off and blast it clean, then a drop of lube.
    Last edited by PGT; 03-13-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    | 92 Centennial x 2 | 92-Stock Competition | 92 Combat x 2 |
    | 92 Brigadier Tactical | 92G-SD | 92 Elite II in 9mm, 9x21 and 357SIG |
    | CZ SP01 Shadow | CZ P-01 in ODG | CZ-97 | Walther P5 |
    | SIG/SAN 553R | SIG/SAN 553-Diopter | SIG/SAN 551-2 SP SWAT |

I like the blast it out w/ brake cleaner technique. I also dry it w/ compressed air. My final step is to oil the safety lever and firing pin block. I try to do it as best I can w/o removing the extractor, kind of a minor service in between complete disassembles. Some of my guns are old enough that re-staking the pin is making them a bit ugly. Also the reason is much more to keep the extractor working than any worry about the firing pin.
    Last edited by CraigS; 03-14-2019 at 09:09 AM.

I replace the firing pin spring and broken pin every 10k. I guess I dry fire to much. They're always broken and I've never had a problem with a broken one not working. They're never that dirty.

User Tag List