Thread: Week 312: 200 Draws

Week 312: 200 Draws

Week 312: 200 Draws

Results may be posted until April 15th, 2019.

For this drill, all you need is your pistol, a target, and a safe direction. This is going be a dry practice drill that almost everyone can participate in regardless of range restrictions.

At bare minimum, verify gun is unloaded, have no live ammo anywhere in the dry practice area, and keep muzzle in a safe direction. But there is more you can do to ensure safety in dry practice. Please also read Robust Dry Practice Safety Principles and Procedure following the drill description.

Things you must be absolutely disciplined about for dry practice to be productive: grip the gun as hard as you do in live fire, pay attention to the sight picture, and call every dry shot. Be ruthless in evaluation of the quality of your sight picture and trigger press.

Designed by Gabe White
    Target: 1” square, 2” circle, 3x5” rectangle, and 6” circle – download here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...03/3-two-1.pdf and here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...irc-1in-sq.pdf
    Range: 5 yards
    Rounds: 0

[b]We are going to draw the gun 200 times or until physically or mentally tired of it, while focusing on full speed movement and on demand certainty from a variety of start positions and against a variety of targets.[/i]

Things you really need to do during this drill: Explode into motion. Get your master and support hand grips right. As you present the gun, look for the sight picture. Press the trigger well and in accordance with seeing that sight picture.

With that in mind, draw the gun and press one good dry shot, 200 times. On every repetition, vary your start position and the target you draw to. You've got at least four targets (five if you want to include the 8.5x11” paper itself.) Start positions can be whatever you want – hands at sides, hands at surrender/opportunity, hands on head, hands in pockets, hands straight up or straight out, hands touching a surface or holding an object, etc. Many possibilities there. As before, it's fine to break up the drill into multiple sessions, or do more or less repetitions if it suits you.

Please report: gun and holster used, concealment garment (optional), start positions used, and anything you noticed during the drill.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Robust Dry Practice Safety Principles and Procedure (the closer you follow this, the fewer opportunities you will have to ND)

Principles:

Allow no distractions – focus exclusively on the task at hand

Keep muzzle in a safe direction

Use correct trigger finger discipline

Verify no live ammo in gun, on person, or in the dry practice area

Use dedicated dry practice targets that are put away until you consciously choose to begin dry practice, and taken down when you consciously end dry practice

Use dedicated dry practice magazines and dummy rounds/inert training cartridges that stay in the dry practice area (if you use any magazine or cartridges)

Procedure:

Unload gun in a location other than the dry practice area

Leave live ammo, and magazines with live ammo, completely outside the dry practice area

Enter the dry practice area

Verify gun is unloaded, that any magazines do not contain live ammo, and that any cartridges present are inert/dummy cartridges

Consciously choose to begin dry practice

Put up dry practice targets

Do your dry practice

Take down dry practice targets and put them away

Consciously choose to end dry practice

Exit the dry practice area and do something unrelated for a few minutes

Return gun to location and condition of your choosing
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment:
    Glock 19 Gen 5
    -RM06
    -TTI Connector
    Dark Star Gear Orion G19
    -Darkwing
    -DCC Mod 4 Clips
    Hawaiian Shirt
    -Parrots
    -Palm Trees
    -Beach Landscape

Start Positions Used:
    Hands at sides, wrists above shoulders, palms up "not interested"

I elected to use various sized, reduced scale, USPSA metric targets from BSPS instead. 250 reps before my headache got the best of me. A couple points... 1. The more realistically I grip the gun on the draw, the more consistently the dot was dead center on presentation. This confirms my master grip is on the right track. Consistency is key. 2: I've been trying to improve my draw times. On my Bill Drill draws I've been stuck around 1.4s. Working this drill helped me identify some wasted movement that I have been missing that will shave that down a little.

User Tag List