Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Countries Restricting 737 MAX Flights After Second Crash

As Boeing is again proving, staying out of jail is a lot easier than getting out of jail.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Behind a paywall, unfortunately

Site Supporter
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/europ...ntl/index.html

Meanwhile, Airbus is fine........nothing to see here. It’s only the second A320 brought down by birds.🤣😜

What really brought down the Boeing 737 Max?
    Malfunctions caused two deadly crashes. But an industry that puts unprepared pilots in the cockpit is just as guilty.

Read in The New York Times: https://apple.news/AHhKSVOlLS0GHBTAPJI9UXA

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Malfunctions caused two deadly crashes. But an industry that puts unprepared pilots in the cockpit is just as guilty.

Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty much mirrors the discussion I had with a former Virgin A320 pilot and now 737 pilot while I sat next to him on a flight. Great article.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 09-20-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Hammertime

Countries Restricting 737 MAX Flights After Second Crash

I didn’t realize how easy the runaway trim breakers were for the pilot to access. Right behind the throttles.

The NYT mag article was extremely illuminating in many ways.

I was amazed to see the Lion Air captain had 8,000 hours at only 30 years old. That seems like a ton, while still having pretty limited airmanship skills.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 09-20-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I didn’t realize how easy the runaway trim breakers were for the pilot to access. Right behind the throttles.

The NYT mag article was extremely illuminating in many ways.

I was amazed to see the Lion Air captain had 8,000 hours at only 30 years old. That seems like a ton, while still having pretty limited airmanship skills.
    I'm probably straying out of my lane here, but I have close friends that are commercial airline pilots and my dad had an ATP rating and type rated in a 727 back in the day... One of those close friends flies cargo in a 747. His flights from Anchorage to Hong Kong, that he does regularly, are 11 hours long. He basically sits in the seat and does no piloting for about 10.5 of those hours. Another friend that has logged 20,000 hrs in mountain single engine flying was doing 4 to 6 take off and landings a day, plus navigating through harsh weather and no computer helping him fly at all. 747 pilot says that the single engine pilot (they know each other well) is 100 times the pilot he is.

I was involved with a non-profit youth program that taught aircraft mx to kids, many of which went on to formal A&P training and certification. We also have several kids that went on to commercial pilot jobs. One of the perks we got was that UPS in Anchorage donated 3 hrs of simulator time in their 747-400 and MD-11 simulators. We had kids with only a couple hours at the controls of a real Cessna 152, that managed (with instructors telling them what to do) take off and land both simulators. I, with only a few hours of real instruction in a 152 two decades prior, managed to land the MD-11. These are the same multi-million dollar simulators UPS trains its pilots on. They are the real deal.

I'm not saying that piloting is easy, but I can see how foreign nations with low safety standards could pump out pilots that could manage a modern jet.. until it came time to be a real pilot. After all, a guy with no real training other than a home computer simulator, managed to steal a regional airliner in Seattle and fly around in it before doing himself in.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

It is nice to see the other side of the issue coming out. Boeing screwed up big and I'm happy to watch them get gutted. This fiasco has certainly hurt my (and several others on this forum) career. They became arrogant and did beyond piss poor system design and failure analysis.

But that said - fixing the Max and building super automated airlines is the easy part. Training pilots to be able to fly aircraft without automation, especially in countries with essentially ZERO general aviation infrastructure, is Quixotic at best.

User Tag List