Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Countries Restricting 737 MAX Flights After Second Crash

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    See? Here you thought the only thing we did was read the WSJ and drink coffee up there.... (well....shhh!)
    And the ones on their third divorce are reading the free USA Today from the hotel?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    And the ones on their third divorce are reading the free USA Today from the hotel?
    Airline Pilots love getting married!

Nothing is worse than a 4 day trip with a Captain who has 3 ex wives. Those cheap bastards make trips feel like an eternity.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Are you a pilot? Lol

https://youtu.be/MjRy2NZ-vxY

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Wow! The 717 is based on the MD-90 series correct?
    The second time around. IIRC, the first 717 was the KC-135.

There’s lots of old history in the early jet age. Howard Hughes (TWA) wanted 5-across seating (2+3) in coach. Other airlines wanted a wider fuselage for 3+3 seating. Convair built the CV-880 as Hughes wanted; Boeing (707) and Douglas (DC-8) didn’t. Convair lost their shirt and exited the civil market.

(Boeing’s “Dash-80” test airplane had a narrower fuselage than the 707; the KC-135 was the width of the Dash-80. I think LeMay wanted the KC-135 produced quickly because the B-47/52 were much faster than the KC-97.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    If we are to look at the true root cause of things, it’s a certain airline that’s named for the compass direction between South and West.

How so? The fact is the Boeing 737 is a half century old. It’s a wildly successful aircraft which is ,nonetheless, well past its sell by date as a design. I’m certain Boeing would have gone with a clean sheet airplane a long time ago...were it not for the insistence of certain airlines that Boeing keep the 737 in the same configuration it’s always been- this, to avoid changing type rating and thus increasing airline training costs.

So we see them adding engines and design systems to an airplane planned during the Lyndon Johnson administration. Is it any wonder we are seeing ergonomic and flight control issues? It’s an aeronautical manifestation of a frequent computer science problem - literally , the 737 Max is flying “scope creep”.
    The age of the airframe's design itself is irrelevant.

Maybe you should start blaming shit third world airlines, where the true root cause lies.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-14-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Just a video to add to the mix of stall videos. This one gets particularly hairy as the airliner (a 717) drops a wing, rolls inverted, and then begins to overspeed. The rumor is that the guy filming this event had to excuse himself from the cockpit and spend some time in the lav after things settled down.

That was pretty sporty

717 was based on the MD-90 series which was based on the MD-80 series which was based on the DC-9-50 which was based on the DC-9-30 which was based on the original DC-9 which became the DC-9-10. 3+2 seating, 2 JT8D-7 engines. The original series (-10) had no leading edge devices (slats) and had a rather high approach speed due to that. Like most jets of it’s era, it had many truly mechanical systems of which Douglas was king. The joke was “DC” stood for “directly by cable” which seemed to be the way everything was controlled. Some of these rather Rube Goldberg devices ended up with rather descriptive monikers. Such as “The Lolipop”, The Cash Register”, “The Pork Chop”, and my personal favorite...”The Donkey Dick”. Actually, the Donkey Dick isn’t too far away from the present day MCAS sysytem in what it did. It’s just that in today’s world, you can’t have a manufacturer referring to something as “The Donkey Dick”. The -10 and the -30 series were the first jets I flew...in and out of Chicago Midway and 5800’ of cracked pavement....

The age of the originaal airframe has everything to do with it. That’s why Lexus didn’t just add leather seats and a stereo system to a 1957 Impala. Next time you sit down in the cockpit, take a look at the clearview window handle. That is the same lever that was on the original -80 that sits up at the Museum in Seattle. Boeing made a huge error around 2000...and it is coming home to roost. We can talk about ab-initio training too...that is certainly a worthy subject. However, there is no getting around the fact that the MAX has utilized every loophole imaginable to skirt modern type certification requirements. That’s why the pilots still put generators on manually after start, and have an overhead full of toggle switches the size of index fingers.
    Last edited by entropy; 03-14-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    717 was based on the MD-90 series which was based on the MD-80 series which was based on the DC-9-50 which was based on the DC-9-30 which was based on the original DC-9 which became the DC-9-10. 3+2 seating, 2 JT8D-7 engines. The original series (-10) had no leading edge devices (slats) and had a rather high approach speed due to that. Like most jets of it’s era, it had many truly mechanical systems of which Douglas was king. The joke was “DC” stood for “directly by cable” which seemed to be the way everything was controlled. Some of these rather Rube Goldberg devices ended up with rather descriptive monikers. Such as “The Lolipop”, The Cash Register”, “The Pork Chop”, and my personal favorite...”The Donkey Dick”. Actually, the Donkey Dick isn’t too far away from the present day MCAS sysytem in what it did. It’s just that in today’s world, you can’t have a manufacturer referring to something as “The Donkey Dick”. The -10 and the -30 series were the first jets I flew...in and out of Chicago Midway and 5800’ of cracked pavement....

The age of the originaal airframe has everything to do with it. That’s why Lexus didn’t just add leather seats and a stereo system to a 1957 Impala. Next time you sit down in the cockpit, take a look at the clearview window handle. That is the same lever that was on the original -80 that sits up at the Museum in Seattle. Boeing made a huge error around 2000...and it is coming home to roost.
    I’ve always loved the DC-9 series - it is one of the jets I regret I will probably never have a chance to fly.

Oh and that cracked pavement is still there. MDW was my first turn off of IOE when I started my career and now it is a regular part of my trips. It is truly an amazing thing to behold how much air traffic can be crammed into one square mile.

With regards to the 737 - I don’t disagree with you. That said - I don’t have much choice in what my company chooses to purchase and the first two generations of 73’s have served us well. I wouldn’t hesitate to move to 320s or even C-series if we were to acquire some. Hell I would have jumped on the 717 had we kept them.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-14-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Used to take a 757-300 in and out of there....along with the 727 and 737.

ILS 31C. Prior to KEDZI, hang a right and fly over the railroad yard. Intercept the Orange line tracks and be 1100’ over the old school. Puts you right on the VASI for 22L.

Might give a clue to my background...lol

Not picking a fight. You’re right. They don’t ask us. But a bad decision is a bad decision.

Cheers.
    Last edited by entropy; 03-14-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Used to take a 757-300 in and out of there....along with the 727 and 737.

ILS 31C. Prior to KEDZI, hang a right and fly over the railroad yard. Intercept the Orange line tracks and be 1100’ over the old school. Puts you right on the VASI for 22L.

Might give a clue to my background...lol

It does - I hope you had a soft landing.

Oh the mighty 757 is the Boeing I most regret not haven had the chance to fly!

User Tag List