Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Countries Restricting 737 MAX Flights After Second Crash

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Countries Restricting 737 MAX Flights After Second Crash

From BBC News:

The UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has banned the Boeing 737 MAX from operating in or over UK airspace "as a precautionary measure".

The decision comes after an Ethiopian Airlines plane crashed on Sunday, killing 157 people on board. It was the second fatal accident involving the 737 Max 8 model in less than five months.

Countries including China, France and Germany have also grounded the jets.

However, US officials say the aircraft are still safe to fly.

In a move that was welcomed by British pilots, the CAA said the directive would remain in place until further notice.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Tragic stuff.

Following, as Boeing is far and away WA state's largest employer.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

737 MAX has unique AoA / Stall Protection not found on other 737s. Pilots transitioning from the Classic/NG lines aren't receiving proper training and are fighting the imbeded autopilot / safety measures.

Notice how these accidents are happening in the 3rd world? I'll wager a PF dollar that the pilots are getting PowerPoint differences training instead of real sim time.

Tragic and preventable accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Tragic stuff.

Following, as Boeing is far and away WA state's largest employer.
    Second biggest, after the Federal Government...

Thing is...
    Aviation Maintenance is not something to let slide, and I have no confidence that a couple of crashes involving an airline based in a third world country necessarily indicates the airframe/powerplant is at fault.
    Especially if the crashes take place in a region that is unstable, at best.

You can (probably) get away with taking your car in for an oil change every 10,000 miles and not thinking about it otherwise until a light comes on, but modern aircraft have rigid schedules of inspections and preventive maintenance, because of all the myriad things that can go wrong. If those schedules are enforced, or the inspections and maintenance performed, by members of a society that casually accepts the attitude that God will take care of it, well, you may not need terrorism or a hostile state to cause a tragedy.

I'll be boarding a Boeing next week. I'm not concerned.
    But then, it'll be operated by a US flag carrier, and maintained at US facilities.
    Last edited by Drang; 03-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Ethiopian Airlines does not have the best safety record.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I guess I'd feel more concerned if the crashes were with airlines other than Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines......both low-cost third world airlines with a well established history of safety issues. Lion Air was banned in EU airspace up until 2016, for instance. One of these Ethiopian Airline pilots apparently had less than 200 hours of flight time (hint: you can't get a job flying a 737 in the US with that little time in the cockpit).

Add to that the industrial/political competition between Boeing and Airbus, and I'm not surprised that European countries are jumping to ban the 737 MAX simply as a way of protecting their business, as Airbus has manufacturing through Europe, not just a single country.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    But then, it'll be operated by a US flag carrier, and maintained at US facilities.
    Are you positive about that second part?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015...sturbing-truth
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Are you positive about that second part?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015...sturbing-truth
    They don't fly down to Rio to perform a 10 Hour Inspection.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    They don't fly down to Rio to perform a 10 Hour Inspection.
    I know two pilots who fly for different US carriers. One of them bitches all the time that he writes up problems but the airline won't fix them until they feel it's worth the down time. He flies them, he says it's a problem. My confidence in commercial aviation is not high.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I know two pilots who fly for different US carriers. One of them bitches all the time that he writes up problems but the airline won't fix them until they feel it's worth the down time. He flies them, he says it's a problem. My confidence in commercial aviation is not high.
    C'mon now you can't let the safety of the common folk affect profit margins. Seriously though care to share which carrier even in PM if you don't care to publicly share. I'll be happy to add them to the avoid list.

User Tag List