Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip Force Adapter vs Glock Beavertails

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I had a GFA on my 34 and still chased the front sight. No chasing with classic Sigs or USPs, so the G34 belongs to someone else now.
    You’re not helping [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I went ahead and ordered a couple. It’s worth a try.

I had a cut Glock backstrap laying around and decided to use it on my issued G17 G/5

even though its a tad short.... it works for me.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 03-12-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a couple. It’s worth a try.
    I did quite a bit of adjusting (i.e. sanding) on the GFA to eliminate lumps and smooth the ribs so they were a little less obnoxious. Also trimmed the beavertail to allow use of a Gadget.

The GFA cross pin is larger diameter than the Glock pin. When I took the GFA off, the hole in the frame was stretched and I still had to use a GFA pin in order for it to be snug and secure. I just shortened it to match the length of the stock Glock pin.

I found the GFA pins were easiest to service if I treated them as one-time use. The GFA is tight enough around the back strap that getting the pin through both sides requires a chamfer on the leading end of the pin when it's inserted. The pin is longer than it needs to be, so I pushed it through until the trailing end was where I wanted it to be and trimmed both ends flush. Without doing that, they were a raised lump that would dig into my skin. The alternative was to have a real fight to get an unchamfered pin through, and it would usually hang up and just stick the corner in the plastic without going all the way through.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Timely thread... I'm looking at trimming down one of the factory backstraps on my new 19 to see if that works even better. I'm thinking of trimming the large in case I don't like it (wife and I both use the medium beavertail one so we don't have a spare floating about).
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

I did quite a bit of adjusting (i.e. sanding) on the GFA to eliminate lumps and smooth the ribs so they were a little less obnoxious. Also trimmed the beavertail to allow use of a Gadget.

The GFA cross pin is larger diameter than the Glock pin. When I took the GFA off, the hole in the frame was stretched and I still had to use a GFA pin in order for it to be snug and secure. I just shortened it to match the length of the stock Glock pin.

I found the GFA pins were easiest to service if I treated them as one-time use. The GFA is tight enough around the back strap that getting the pin through both sides requires a chamfer on the leading end of the pin when it's inserted. The pin is longer than it needs to be, so I pushed it through until the trailing end was where I wanted it to be and trimmed both ends flush. Without doing that, they were a raised lump that would dig into my skin. The alternative was to have a real fight to get an unchamfered pin through, and it would usually hang up and just stick the corner in the plastic without going all the way through.
    I wonder why they made the pin OD oversized? And the GFA won’t work with a gadget without fitting? I’m having a hard time picturing how it would set high enough to cause interference.

Should have mine tomorrow to start fiddling with.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I was using the big GFA. It doesn't directly interact with the Gadget, but it sticks out the back and blocks the ability of your thumb to contact the Gadget firmly, which is the point of the Gadget. I trimmed mine until there was just a small lip, enough to wrap the back of the Glock frame. I still wasn't 100 percent happy with it, and would probably have trimmed it flush if I'd kept going with the Glock.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I was using the big GFA. It doesn't directly interact with the Gadget, but it sticks out the back and blocks the ability of your thumb to contact the Gadget firmly, which is the point of the Gadget. I trimmed mine until there was just a small lip, enough to wrap the back of the Glock frame. I still wasn't 100 percent happy with it, and would probably have trimmed it flush if I'd kept going with the Glock.
    I understand what you’re saying now. Kinda like a Sig Elite with the oversized beavertail.

I prefer a cut down beavertail over the GFA. I’ve blended a GFA into a stipple job, but it still doesn’t blend into the frame as well as the factory beavertail does.

Just running into this.

Always ran the GFO on my Gen 3 G19. One of the draws for the Gen 5 was the ability to just run the factory beavertails. But the interface with my hand is not nearly the same. For one, I still get some thumb knuckle bite when using the factory beavertail, but the GFA is wider and no issues there.

I have recently been trying the XL beavertail anyway. Find it gives me a better grip for my big hands. But I'm finding my RMR dot is usually high outside the window on extension. I suspect it's due to the big hump at the bottom vs the top.

I'll be going back to the medium non-beavertail grip with a cut-down GFA on top. Doesn't look perfect and maybe not as robust but it seems to work better for me.

User Tag List