Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip Force Adapter vs Glock Beavertails

Grip Force Adapter vs Glock Beavertails

Quick dumb question of the day (don't judge me).

Would there be any difference between a Gripforce adaptor and a cut-down Glock Beavertail? Is the Gripforce thicker or is it the same thickness as the stock Glock beavertails.

I ran a cut down Glock beavertail for a couple of years. I've been experimenting with a full medium beavertail and it isn't agreeing with my grip. Very inconsistent grip and recoil. I would really like to take a little more of the grip hump out of my Gen 5 17's and 19's without modifiying the frame.
    Last edited by MGW; 03-12-2019 at 11:06 AM.

They are different but they are "consistent" once installed so if you have an inconsistent grip and or recoil that is something you can fix through technique.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 03-12-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    A71593

Inconsistent grip/recoil is on you. That won’t necessarily be a gear problem.

As for GFA vs Glock beavertail cut down: Yes, there’s a difference, but not really in reducing the hump. The main difference is going to be how wide the surface area is that interfaces with the web of your hand. As long as you’re cutting down the Glock beavertail backstrap to the appropriate length, you’ll eliminate the same amount of hump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where and how exactly do you cut the glock beavertail? I'd like to change the Glock angle but I do not like the GFA.

I've found the GFA's do straighten the grip more as they don't follow the curve of the backstrap the way an OEM beavertail does. The OEM part will add material, but it's not anything close to the feel of a GFA for me. I've been using GFA's on all my Glocks since around 2008 or 2009. I've used them on Gen 3's, Gen 4's, and Gen 5's. I use them on all my Glocks except my duty weapons because they are forbidden. On them I use a factory beavertail. I get slide bite in a bloody way.

When you buy a GFA it does come with a shorter version that uses a smooth "tail" instead of the grooved style. That shorter one may be closer to the OEM than the full size. I've never tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I've found the GFA's do straighten the grip more as they don't follow the curve of the backstrap the way an OEM beavertail does. The OEM part will add material, but it's not anything close to the feel of a GFA for me. I've been using GFA's on all my Glocks since around 2008 or 2009. I've used them on Gen 3's, Gen 4's, and Gen 5's. I use them on all my Glocks except my duty weapons because they are forbidden. On them I use a factory beavertail. I get slide bite in a bloody way.

When you buy a GFA it does come with a shorter version that uses a smooth "tail" instead of the grooved style. That shorter one may be closer to the OEM than the full size. I've never tried them.
    Thanks for the info. I get slide bite bad too so a beavertail is a must. The full medium isn't agreeing with my hand shape even though groups improved during slow fire. I didn't notice the inconsistent muzzle movement until I started trying to push the speed again. Trigger reach with a cut down OEM feels a little short and magnifies my tendency to push shots left. I'm pretty close to moving to M&P's or VP9's but trying something like the GFA seems like a more cost efficient option to try first.

I don't need the beaver tail thus used it make this adapter that I do like. Glock back strap with top and bottom trimmed. It would be easy enough to leave the tail in place if desired.

Name:  P1090334.jpg
Views: 7363
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  P1090335.jpg
Views: 4769
Size:  27.9 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I had a GFA on my 34 and still chased the front sight. No chasing with classic Sigs or USPs, so the G34 belongs to someone else now.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Here are a couple pics. Both have unmodified GFA’s. One is a 17 frame (albeit a 19X) and the other a 19 frame. You can better see how it straightens the back strap.

ETA: correction - I did trim the bottom of the GFA on the 19 a bit.
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-12-2019 at 07:27 PM.

If you didn't need a beavertail I'd say try a $4 grip job. You basically buy a 20" bicycle inner tube. Cut it on an angle so it goes below your mag release but curves up towards the slide on the back. Then you cut a few thin oval shaped pieces of inner tube to stick in under the tube you cut to go over the grip. The smaller oval shaped pieces kind of build out the space between the hump of the grip and towards the beavertail. Kind of the way a 1911 grip safety shape would do.

Or Glock could get rid of that stupid hump and make all of us happy!

User Tag List