Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Article by Tam (mostly discussion about her writing style -- and bowls of dicks)

Good Article by Tam (mostly discussion about her writing style -- and bowls of dicks)

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-wrong-skills/

[stuff added by @Tom_Jones]
    (thread title changed by @Tom_Jones -- everything in parenthesis was added by him when the thread was split) ADDITIONALLY EVERYTHING HERE WRITTEN IN RED WAS WRITTEN BY @Tom_Jones. This was not part of the original post. It was added by @Tom_Jones whilst doing his job (poorly) as a moderator, so sayeth @Tom_Jones. These are his words and no one else's.
    [/stuff added by @Tom_Jones]

Good Article by Tam (mostly discussion about her writing style -- and dicks)

Agreed, great points made and a worthy read - especially on the art and technique of the inconspicuous draw. Gamers should also heed the advice of disconnecting the trigger pull from the draw, and work on making those two distinct processes.

I just wish she would lose some of the "see how smart I am" verbiage, such as working-in words like panopticon;

"Thanks to the abundance of video recording devices we live amongst these days, there are literally thousands..." makes more sense (most of us don't live in a circular prison) and does not make the author seem any less articulate.

Just my 2-cents...

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Agreed, great points made and a worthy read - especially on the art and technique of the inconspicuous draw. Gamers should also heed the advice of disconnecting the trigger pull from the draw, and work on making those two distinct processes.

I just wish she would lose some of the "see how smart I am" verbiage, such as working-in words like panopticon;

"Thanks to the abundance of video recording devices we live amongst these days, there are literally thousands..." makes more sense (most of us don't live in a circular prison) and does not make the author seem any less articulate.

Just my 2-cents...
    In her defense, she's already expanded your vocabulary. Assuming of course that you had to look it up.
    And, she is smart.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    In her defense, she's already expanded your vocabulary. Assuming of course that you had to look it up.
    And, she is smart.
    It still makes no sense.

All sensible points in the article.

When you look at the points she mentions, it's essentially about contrasts between real life defensive gun use and gaming gun use.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

It's also part of her style.

(Mr. Townsend, do you have to flail around so much with your guitar? You're distracting from the song!)
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

It still makes no sense.
    Evidently the French philosopher Michel Foucault used the word as a metaphor for a system of control; I gather Tam used it in that sense? I’m a word nerd and gladly looked it up. As an aside, fellow word nerds should consider signing up for Anu Garg’s Word of the Day.

Back on point, Tam’s articles have helped turned Shooting illustrated into something I occasionally read rather than glance at and transfer to the recycle bin.

Back on point, Tam’s articles have helped turned Shooting illustrated into something I occasionally read rather than glance at and transfer to the recycle bin.
    I used to get it just for the pictures...

That said, we don't cotton to no commie pinko intellekshuls around here, savvy?

Last edited by blues; 03-06-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Have you considered the possibility that she is simply using her normal vocabulary, and that there are people who speak regularly and casually with a verbal palette more expansive than Khoisan?

If you find Tamara irritating, you might be positively infuriated with the likes of William F. Buckley Jr. or Antonin Scalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Have you considered the possibility that she is simply using her normal vocabulary...
    I wonder if "camera-encrusted panopticon" is a phrase she uses regularly. Not to belabor the point, but IMO it only serves as a distraction from the content, which as already stated is very read-worthy.

BTW (and FWIW), I wrote for a number of HVAC trade magazines back in the 90s. It's not as easy as it looks, providing meaningful information that is accurate, pertinent and presented in a way that is enjoyable. Though I didn't consider myself particularly good at it, I was fortunate to be friends with a well-known author at the time who was an absolute master at engaging his readers. It's a matter of style and weaving stories together that convey useful info in an entertaining fashion. I always looked forward to his articles, and at no time did any of his writing seem forced or contrived.

In the firearms genre, I've always enjoyed the way Mas writes.

In any case, my hat is off to Tam for conveying good info that should be immensely useful to many.

User Tag List