Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: SWAT Mag Article

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Ok. So mashing a button and grabbing a slide are both fine motor skills.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Ok. So mashing a button and grabbing a slide are both fine motor skills.
    If you search for "fine vs gross motorskills" on the 'net, ignoring all the tactard links, you're mostly left with healthcare professionals talking about child development. And their definition is not like the one we've heard on the range.

https://youtu.be/l93BTYyHG0c

I tend to use the term “slide latch,” on forums, because it is, well, technique-neutral. When speaking verbally, I will sometimes say “slide release,” because that is what I learned, as early as the Seventies, and used for a long time. It does release the slide, so “slide release” it is.

As for dropping the slide, after a reload, well, I will do whatever I feel like doing, or whatever works at that moment in time. I am schizo like that. I learned with the 1911, and the HK P7, in the Eighties. Both were covered with tactile clues, to lessen the probability of confusion, and I never, that I can recall, confused them. (The P7 pistols were sold in the financial crunch after the big D.) In the Nineties, I added SIG and 3rd-Gen S&W, with nicely prominent slide latches.

In 2002, when Glocks became my duty pistols, I started grasping the rear grooves, to release the slide; overhand, if the weapon is in-close, and from the rear, if the weapon is extended. This is simple ergonomics; why fight nature? Just as a stance is a moment in time, the best way to grasp the rear of the slide will depend upon the moment in time. This is a way, my way; not trying to convert or convince anyone.

To this day, when shooting a 1911, I will often revert to using the slide latch to drop the slide, after inserting a fresh mag. I will probably use my left thumb, to do so, if shooting right-handed, as that digit is closest, at that moment in time, as my right thumb is too short to reach the slide latch, when the weapon is held in a firing grip. (Again, not trying to convert or convince anyone!)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Genuine question, if commonality uber alles is a massive concern, why have different pistols? If that's the approach you choose then you really should only ever be shooting one gun, possibly in different sizes.

I think shit like that is overblown personally and use and recommend the slide stop even between different pistols. but if you're that concerned about having no cognitive ability under stress, then you shouldn't have a collection of guns you should have an armoury of them (with apologies to Chuck P for stealing his concept)
    So when you cleared a double feed one handed after being shot in the hand and your wife was shot in the pelvis, did you slide stop or overhand?

And you have a toe raping due.
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 03-22-2019 at 11:10 AM.

One of the significant challenges we faced as instructors when I taught at the SC Academy and back at my own department was having to be able to teach weak hand reloading (as if you were left handed) with a revolver. I remember the hours of practice trying to build the muscle memory to be able to do this. When the semi-autos came in (early 90's) we had to learn to demonstrate one handed loading and malfunction drills.

Site Supporter
    Boys, we might be over thinking this . . . it's like the discussions they used to have about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

There are four commonly taught ways to chamber a round during a reload:
    (1.) The strong hand thumb activates the slide release
    (2.) The weak hand thumb activates the slide release
    (3.) The weak hand grabs the slide overhand, pulling it back and then releasing it (the "power stroke")
    (4.) The weak hand grabs the slide in a pincer grip, pulling it back and then releasing it (the "slingshot")

As long as the task gets accomplished in a timely and positive manner, does it matter?

I suspect that pure speed on the draw or reload is seldom significant in a defensive application, but may be significant if you're shooting a USPSA or IDPA match.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post

I suspect that pure speed on the draw or reload is seldom significant in a defensive application
    "I have often read on internet discussion boards that a fast draw is seldom needed, and if trouble is brewing, one should have a gun in hand. This approach overlooks a couple of very real circumstances that we face in actual defensive gun uses." -Tom Givens

https://dailycaller.com/2014/01/20/d...ealed-handgun/

I suspect that pure speed on the draw or reload is seldom significant in a defensive application
    They're not important. Until they are.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I suspect that pure speed on the draw or reload is seldom significant in a defensive application, but may be significant if you're shooting a USPSA or IDPA match.
    Reload speed, concur.

Pure speed on the draw, if I agree or not depends on what you mean by "pure speed". That's already been hashed out multiple times, most recently in the disguised draw thread. Otherwise, yes, it rarely comes into play. Not never, but rarely.

I've told the story of the impromptu quick draw contest I found myself in. Instead of thinking "I don't want to get shot" I was thinking "I don't want to chase this guy" and put myself in a horrid position tactically. "Pure speed" didn't win the day by itself. Recognizing his body language combined with a targeting glance and realizing he was going to go for a gun on his left hip was a big help and got me into motion before he started. Luckily he sucked and got caught up in his cover garment as he tried to draw. He quickly realized I was aimed at his head and he hadn't gotten his gun clear of the holster yet and surrendered. Had I been slower or he faster, one of us would have gotten shot. I suspect many "quick draw matters" incidents are similar. It matters because we have put ourselves, or let ourselves, get behind the curve through lousy tactics, inattentiveness, etc. All of us are capable of making such mistakes, though, so it's good to have skills to fall back on when it happens.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

As @BehindBluel’s said above, speed from the holster can make a difference. I’m alive today because of it and so are a couple of my friends.

Think about it this way; regardless of the reason why, it’s easy to find yours of behind the power curve. When you need a gun, you tend to need it badly. Non-LE are not out hunting people, they are going about their lives and reacting to something bad when it happens. Sometimes speed from the holster and the ability to make the first hit is all the edge you have.
    Last edited by LSP552; 03-25-2019 at 06:54 PM.

User Tag List