Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SWAT Mag Article

SWAT Mag Article

I hope we're not going to nitpick the language of this one.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Hanging my head in shame I admit to being a slide release user...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Oh goodness, please do.

I predict 37 pages and two thread locks.

Well, the author didn't use the word "panopticon."

But if we do, could we refrain from pictures of bowls of weenies? I'm going to have nightmares about that tonight.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Oh goodness, please do.

I predict 37 pages and two thread locks.
    Yeah, the posters here are shit.

Maybe I should start another thread with a link to some of my articles that have appeared in SWAT magazine. Here is a link to the ones that are available online. They do not include the date of publication, but some of them date back to 2011: https://www.swatmag.com/article/author/edlawrence/ Note, the article on realistic force on force training was not written by me as the name on it reflects, but was erroneously linker to my list of articles.

Read them if you are interested and make whatever comments you want as long as they are semi-intelligent. I am usually low key about my writing and my life. In fact I get so little attention that I actually had to pay someone to stalk me.
    Last edited by Ed L; 03-11-2019 at 06:15 PM.

I just sent that to our full-time training staff, mainly because I’ve been preaching something similar for years.

Several years ago, when we still had HK’s, I made the argument that it was ridiculous to think we couldn’t use the slide release to drop the slide because it was a “fine motor skill”, but then reload with that same “fine motor skill” to drop the magazine with the paddle release. It can be overcome with muscle memory and training.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Ref: using the slide lock, I'm pretty sure I've heard the author's take on nearly verbatim from John McPhee and in some form from numerous instructors. The only reason I can think of to use the overhand method is if you constantly carry a different gun for some reason and the slide release is in different places on each. Then it's a less then ideal method to deal with a less then ideal carry set up.

Oh, and I use the slide lock method. My department still teaches the overhand, but they don't object to me using the slide lock.

I do like the notion of the re-acquiring vs the standard scan. I will say if you are mindful you can avoid going into the "just going through the motions" look without seeing aspect. It's like dry fire, though, as soon as mindfulness is gone you revert to just going through the motions. Since we're encouraged to the the scan at in-service I try to make myself actual see SOMETHING. Where the nearest safety officer is, what kind of shirt the shooter next to me is wearing, etc. At the end of the day when I'm tired, I still revert to going through the motions sometimes.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 03-11-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The author of the article mentioned in this thread, Jeff Gurwitch, is former SF with combat experience in Iraq and Afghanistan and shoots competitively.

He wrote a second article on the same subject discussing other issues that he did not address in his first. Here is a link to it: https://www.swatmag.com/article/cool...iques-part-ii/
    Last edited by Ed L; 03-11-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've taken really good training from people in both camps on this. I tend to use the slide release, but I also practice the overhand method fairly often. I think it's a skill everyone should work from time to time at least.

I like the author's comments on the whole "scan" thing.
    Last edited by Robinson; 03-11-2019 at 06:50 PM.

User Tag List