Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: SWAT Mag Article

Site Supporter

speed of the draw

I've had an electronic timer since 1992 or so (before that I'd sometimes borrow one from my USPSA club)

About twenty years ago I became curious about my own speed (which is slow) and so I did tests with the timer, one shot at 7 yards to an A zone hit on a USPSA target. I did it with different guns and different holsters, beginning with my duty gun and gear (which was a traditional Sig 226 DA/DA and Safariland SLS holster back then) and then with a kydex OWB concealment holster and a leather OWB concealment holster (both from concealment under a BDU top, and open carry)

I did each combination a dozen times and through out the fastest rep and the slowest rep and figured out an average.

Those notes still exist because I found them when I moved a couple of years ago, although I'm not sure where they are at this exact moment since I'm still unpacking and organizing stuff . . . .

In any case, I (think) I remember that my average with the Sig out of a duty rig was about 1.75 second.

I think I should find those notes, organize them, and then run the test again and see what I come up with.

In any case, on the street, for real, regardless of your gun and holster combination, half a second probably isn't going to matter because you probably aren't going to go that fast "for real" -- situational awareness, tactics, movement, and (in some cases) use of available cover are going to be more important to your survival.

I seem to remember Tom Givens saying that:
    Pull the slide back and release it because this gives the slide more travel and momentum than using the slide release. This helps to strip a cartridge from the magazine and chamber it.

As to other concerns things to consider, physical disabilities, gloves vs size of control levers, how numb/damaged are your hands ?

Pick your method and rock on.

I have trained slide release lever, overhand and slingshot method at various times. I have also transitioned from slide release lever to overhand in the moment when the lever did not release the slide.

Site Supporter

the significance of time

“The major problem with competitive shooting is a preoccupation with inconsequential increments of time. Lost time measured in scant hundredths if a second mean nothing in a fight, but accumulate and can become significant in a match with 10 or 12 stages.
    For self defense, we want the most robust techniques, meaning they work reliably over a broad range of circumstances and under sub-optimal conditions.”
    —Tom Givens in the article “Finding Relevant Training” from the book “Straight Talk on Armed Defense: What the experts want you to know” edited by Massad Ayoob

Tom Givens expressed this thought better than I could. One needs to be timely in their reactions without being obsessive.

User Tag List