Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SWAT Mag Article

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Ok. So mashing a button and grabbing a slide are both fine motor skills.
    Robot 1: "I understand now. Humans died out from environmental disaster."
    Robot 2: "Yeah, pretty much. And also because at one point, they genetically engineered their cats to give them opposable thumbs."
    -Love Death + Robots

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Ok. So mashing a button and grabbing a slide are both fine motor skills.
    If you search for "fine vs gross motorskills" on the 'net, ignoring all the tactard links, you're mostly left with healthcare professionals talking about child development. And their definition is not like the one we've heard on the range.

https://youtu.be/l93BTYyHG0c

Site Supporter
    I tend to use the term “slide latch,” on forums, because it is, well, technique-neutral. When speaking verbally, I will sometimes say “slide release,” because that is what I learned, as early as the Seventies, and used for a long time. It does release the slide, so “slide release” it is.

As for dropping the slide, after a reload, well, I will do whatever I feel like doing, or whatever works at that moment in time. I am schizo like that. I learned with the 1911, and the HK P7, in the Eighties. Both were covered with tactile clues, to lessen the probability of confusion, and I never, that I can recall, confused them. (The P7 pistols were sold in the financial crunch after the big D.) In the Nineties, I added SIG and 3rd-Gen S&W, with nicely prominent slide latches.

In 2002, when Glocks became my duty pistols, I started grasping the rear grooves, to release the slide; overhand, if the weapon is in-close, and from the rear, if the weapon is extended. This is simple ergonomics; why fight nature? Just as a stance is a moment in time, the best way to grasp the rear of the slide will depend upon the moment in time. This is a way, my way; not trying to convert or convince anyone.

To this day, when shooting a 1911, I will often revert to using the slide latch to drop the slide, after inserting a fresh mag. I will probably use my left thumb, to do so, if shooting right-handed, as that digit is closest, at that moment in time, as my right thumb is too short to reach the slide latch, when the weapon is held in a firing grip. (Again, not trying to convert or convince anyone!)
    Retar’d LE

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Genuine question, if commonality uber alles is a massive concern, why have different pistols? If that's the approach you choose then you really should only ever be shooting one gun, possibly in different sizes.

I think shit like that is overblown personally and use and recommend the slide stop even between different pistols. but if you're that concerned about having no cognitive ability under stress, then you shouldn't have a collection of guns you should have an armoury of them (with apologies to Chuck P for stealing his concept)
    So when you cleared a double feed one handed after being shot in the hand and your wife was shot in the pelvis, did you slide stop or overhand?

And you have a toe raping due.
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 03-22-2019 at 11:10 AM.

One of the significant challenges we faced as instructors when I taught at the SC Academy and back at my own department was having to be able to teach weak hand reloading (as if you were left handed) with a revolver. I remember the hours of practice trying to build the muscle memory to be able to do this. When the semi-autos came in (early 90's) we had to learn to demonstrate one handed loading and malfunction drills.

User Tag List