Thread: 340PD pin sticking out right side of barrel shroud?

340PD pin sticking out right side of barrel shroud?

I got a factory new 340PD and took it out for the first time. About 100 rounds through the gun. When I got home I noticed the pin above the "no less than 120GR bullet" warning was protruding more than I remembered. It is sticking out about .04" from the shroud. I tried to tap it in with a punch and it didn't move. Should I be concerned, or is this normal?
    Name:  IMG_1345.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  27.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Mine fell out years ago -- just kidding.
    I think that's the locking bolt pin, and mine on my 340pd has stayed put -- never noticed it before.
    I'd contact Smith. It shouldn't walk out that easily. I imagine it's easily replaced, but who wants to try to hammer on a really expensive revolver?

I tried to get the same angle of your pic. I can tell you on my well used 340pd, it does not seem to protrude as far as it does in your pic. It isn't flush, but very close.

On my 340 PD the pin protrudes on the opposite side, about that length as well.

Thanks for the response gentlemen! Smith and Wesson CSR just told me to keep shooting and watch the pin. If it walks out any more they said we would want it back to examine but it isn't yet a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by John10-19 View Post
    Thanks for the response gentlemen! Smith and Wesson CSR just told me to keep shooting and watch the pin. If it walks out any more they said we would want it back to examine but it isn't yet a concern.
    The pin on my 442 sticks out a slight amount more on one side vs the other... but it hasn't moved that I have noticed. Same thing on the 60-10 that I recently picked up. Yours seems to stick out more than either of mine. Enough that I'd be inclined to tap it back in. If the end of the pin was below flush on either side, I would for sure. If you are worried about marring the finish, I would tape off around the pin with a couple layers of masking tape, and maybe use a brass punch.

I tried gently tapping it back in and the pin didn't move. If it is the same pin that is visible on the opposite side of the shroud, it is flush on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    The pin on my 442 sticks out a slight amount more on one side vs the other... but it hasn't moved that I have noticed. Same thing on the 60-10 that I recently picked up. Yours seems to stick out more than either of mine. Enough that I'd be inclined to tap it back in. If the end of the pin was below flush on either side, I would for sure. If you are worried about marring the finish, I would tape off around the pin with a couple layers of masking tape, and maybe use a brass punch.

User Tag List