Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight techniques and recommendations for low light stages

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Flashlight techniques and recommendations for low light stages

I did my second idpa match yesterday, this one at FAS in Washington state. Nice people, good fun. I was intimidated at first and almost wanted to leave, but stuck it out, learn by doing. They had a low light stage which really intimidated me, that most of my squad decided to do with flashlight. Fortunately several people offered to loan me one.

I made a complete hash of the stage, as my newbie self usually does, but especially the reload, as I tried to figure out, pocket it? Hold on to it? Etc. ....

So, I have questions.

1, I need a flashlight. It seemed like a strap or retention device was a good idea, but idk, maybe that depends on technique, of which I have jack squat. Edit - I see the idpa rules seem to prohibit retention devices.

2, what techniques are worth trying to acquire and learn ? I saw many different ones, or flashes of ones (pun intended) because I couldn’t watch people do the stage as it was in a shoot house.

3, what do you think is a good technique for reloads ? I’m shooting ccp (since i carry a px4cc) so I often have a few reloads.

Thank you for your experiences / insights. If there’s a thread where this was covered I’ll take a link and offer apologies for my poor search technique.
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-10-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Goodness my typing is bad

Here's a short video of Seeklander with a handheld. Might help answer some of those questions

https://www.instagram.com/mikeseekla...d=4qe6gtay2pgm

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 03-10-2019 at 05:11 PM.

A good, short, low light block is good training to take. If done right, you get to monkey with flashlights and sighting systems under watchful eyes.

As you alluded to, there are tons of techniques. I personally think that a temple index is one of the most versatile. This requires solid SHO and WHO fundamentals.

With any technique you are essentially shooting strong-hand only. If you're proficient at that, holding the light is a simple task with good technique. Neck index, temple index and Harries are my go-to techniques, being fluent in all provides plenty of flexibility depending on the circumstances.

I wouldn't be bound by competition rules for a defensive light. I have found finger lanyards to be extremely useful, allowing retention of the light when two hands are needed (reloads, racking the slide, etc.). This was proven beyond all doubt when I took a Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Academy in NH last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Here's a short video of Seeklander with a handheld. Might help answer some of those questions

https://www.instagram.com/mikeseekla...d=4qe6gtay2pgm
    I’ve only met about 4 1/2 FAMs, but the ones I have met could all run the shit out of a pistol and a hand-held. Something about working from deep concealment in an artificially lit, crowded tube engenders that sort of finely honed technique.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I’m a bit of a nerd with several tools, to include flashlights. Scores of choices, and, like holsters one can go through a few. I currently have two on or nearby in a backpack or case. Two I’m currently working with are the SUREFIRE Tacticia and a Streamlight Protac 2xl rechargeable for training(because I’m chea-uh,frugal). If forced to choose one:SUREFIRE. NGood advice to get a short class, and you can “dryfire” with a light.
    Single handed techniques, and if you have to reload,stow it (off) in a pocket or waistband until or unless
    You want to use a lanyard.
    But get a light-they can be helpful in any ways and situations.

Almost forgot:
    On YouTube, look up Mike Pannone flashlight technique.
    He has a neat movement to keep the light while doing a “Tac load”.

Calling @Chuck Haggard
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 03-10-2019 at 08:58 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’m definitely gonna add it to my dry fire work. I am really asking from an idpa standpoint, though....I have a small flashlight i edc but it’s tiny, purse sized, and not tactical or milspec or anything other than something I can have with me daily. It’s not what I’d use for a match, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I’m a bit of a nerd with several tools, to include flashlights. Scores of choices, and, like holsters one can go through a few. I currently have two on or nearby in a backpack or case. Two I’m currently working with are the SUREFIRE Tacticia and a Streamlight Protac 2xl rechargeable for training(because I’m chea-uh,frugal). If forced to choose one:SUREFIRE. NGood advice to get a short class, and you can “dryfire” with a light.
    Single handed techniques, and if you have to reload,stow it (off) in a pocket or waistband until or unless
    You want to use a lanyard.
    But get a light-they can be helpful in any ways and situations.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    With any technique you are essentially shooting strong-hand only.
    Not necessarily. I find a syringe hold to work very well for me, with minimal disruption of grip. Of course the light needs to be held in the syringe grip to begin with, so in the real world this does limit the usefulness of the technique - if you are holding your light in an ice pick grip and things start happening, you probably won't be twirling the light in your hand into a syringe grip. But in an IDPA stage, a very effective technique. Empty chamber reloads can be done holding the flashlight in the hand. Loaded chamber reloads get a bit interesting as you probably don't really have the space in your hand for two magazines and the flashlight, so it's stove the old magazine first, then get the new one. But at least in the matches I go to, I'm usually the only dork who ever tries to do one of those. Most everyone else sprints to the next shooting position, shoots off the few remaining rounds in the gun and then does an empty chamber reload standing still.

Right handed shooters shooting pistols with push button magazine releases may run into issues. Being left handed, I don't really know how much of that is a training issue. Most right handed shooters I know locally tend to prefer some sort of a bastardized Harries stance - but most shooters I know of train very little low light shooting, so hard to say if that's just something that seems easier with minimal training or what.

Some of the key elements of the light for this technique are the width of the light body; the standard 1" tube is much too wide for me for this application. The light should not be very heavy up front since you are only holding onto the rear bit; but then again narrow lights usually aren't. The switch has to be compatible with this technique; the only way to know is pretty much test it and see. And the light needs to have a sort of a ledge for your fingers to hold onto. But if the light doesn't have one, I simply wrap a rubber band around it and then it does.

User Tag List