View Poll Results: Modify old wheelies with new sights, or move on?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Start dovetailing those old K and J’s; they aren’t making any more like that

13 48.15%
  • Keep ‘em stock, and let others enjoy them; they aren’t making any more like that

9 33.33%
  • Mods here are only sort of shit

2 7.41%
  • Have you looked into edged weapons and saps, Mr. Magoo?

3 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eyes, wheelies and sights: modify, or move on?

There are a lot of K and J frame guns that are shooters, not collector’s items. For example, I wouldn’t modify a Registered Magnum, but I’d have no issues modifying most Model 28’s.

There is of course, no parasitical reason to do it. You can spend less money on an arguably more capable platform. But, everything doesn’t have to be practical tactical.

Who knows, one day someone may make a post similar to mine on the King’s Gun Sight Co Model 1917 showing off one of the revolvers you modified.

Life is sort: enjoy it.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Okay, I thought on this for awhile last night and this morning and in trying to find a practical middle ground.

First, any guns that are already customized, do the dovetails and get fancy. That won't decrease the value of those guns as long as the work is by a good quality gunsmith with a good rep. I'd probably lean towards C&S and do Bowen Rough Country sights on them. If you want to get real fancy ass, have a Weigand base fitted so you can interchange the blades easily (that's also a pretty standard revolver upgrade and thus, easier to pitch).

Any guns that are shooter grade with minimal collectible value? 50-50, how much do you value those pieces? A compromise here, might be to go with a pin-in style Smith sight. That's not likely to decrease the value much at all and still allow the guns to be upgraded.

Any guns that are on the collectible end of the spectrum? Send them down the road and buy something else.

Finally, if you're going to do dovetails - get some kind of standardized dovetails (Novak 1911 would be the way I'd go), because somewhere down the road you'll either need to replace the trit or I will (err...whoever buys the guns...I mean), and that'll make life easier for you and me (err...them...).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.

User Tag List