Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st match. AIWB Lim Minor.

I contacted Mr. Troy McManus, the DNROI for USPSA, for guidance on how I should approach future matches. Within 20 minutes he responded that he would handle the situation, and gave me the pertinent rules below. I'll print out the email and have a copy of the USPSA rule book on hand for future matches. I'll also try to contact the MD and RO days/weeks before the match to give them a heads up on my intentions.

The rules support using an AIWB or any IWB holster, as long as you are meeting division requirements and can safely draw from concealment.
    Here are some pertinent rules:
    • 10.5.5.1 Exception – A match disqualification is not applicable for sweeping of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering a handgun, provided that the competitor’s fingers are clearly outside of the trigger guard. This exception is only for holstered handguns. Sweeping does not apply to a handgun holstered in compliance with Rules 5.2.1 and 5.2.7.
    • Appendix D2, #12, #20: No restrictions on type of holster.
    • This is the important one in this instance:
    • 5.2.6 USPSA Competition matches will not require the use of a particular type or brand of holster. However, the Range Master may deem that a competitor’s holster is unsafe and order that it be improved to his satisfaction, failing which it must be withdrawn from the match. Divisions may restrict a specific type of holster. Providing the Division does not restrict the type or physical location of the holster, IWB or concealment holsters are legal, as long as the firearms can safely be drawn and replaced, and so doing does not break any safety rules.
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Site Supporter
    I'll echo those saying it really is too bad to be treated like that, especially at a first match. Although I shoot carry optics now with a 'gamer' rig, I shot lim minor for about two years, and usually it was with a 226/229 from appendix. If CO rules allowed for appendix carry I'd still do it because that's how I carry. i think I had a bit of an advantage since I knew several of the match regulars already. I still had a couple ROs who would make comments about appendix being either unsafe or slow. Honestly a lot of the comments subsided when I started improving to the point that I was beating many of those making the comments. It's not a reason to practice, but sure is a nice benefit to getting better--makes it easy to pull scores up when someone wants to act like dick.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post
    I contacted Mr. Troy McManus, the DNROI for USPSA, for guidance on how I should approach future matches. Within 20 minutes he responded that he would handle the situation, and gave me the pertinent rules below. I'll print out the email and have a copy of the USPSA rule book on hand for future matches. I'll also try to contact the MD and RO days/weeks before the match to give them a heads up on my intentions.

The rules support using an AIWB or any IWB holster, as long as you are meeting division requirements and can safely draw from concealment.
    Here are some pertinent rules:
    • 10.5.5.1 Exception – A match disqualification is not applicable for sweeping of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering a handgun, provided that the competitor’s fingers are clearly outside of the trigger guard. This exception is only for holstered handguns. Sweeping does not apply to a handgun holstered in compliance with Rules 5.2.1 and 5.2.7.
    • Appendix D2, #12, #20: No restrictions on type of holster.
    • This is the important one in this instance:
    • 5.2.6 USPSA Competition matches will not require the use of a particular type or brand of holster. However, the Range Master may deem that a competitor’s holster is unsafe and order that it be improved to his satisfaction, failing which it must be withdrawn from the match. Divisions may restrict a specific type of holster. Providing the Division does not restrict the type or physical location of the holster, IWB or concealment holsters are legal, as long as the firearms can safely be drawn and replaced, and so doing does not break any safety rules.
    Unsafe holsters per 5.2.6 are things like holsters that collapse (sausage sacks), SERPAs, holsters that don't cover the trigger, etc. 10.5.5.1 takes care of any "safey" issues with AIWB

A snip from my training log. That post is longer and has videos. I'm still trying to get out there and shoot, and it's still AIWB. I had a bit of consternation from the timer guy (What do you call ROs that aren't real ROs?) but otherwise no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Made it to another match.

About AIWB:

Same club as my first match. I helped set up a bit, briefly mentioned AWIB to the match director while doing so. His reply was pretty relaxed "Yeah, no worries. Just be safe." and then started casually talking about the design of the stage he was making.

Got a great stage plan from someone who seemed to know what they were doing. It was my best stage. Went to the brief, and headed out to my squads stage. I was taping up for other shooters, and was asked if I knew how to run the tablet. I replied with "Kind of but I'm really bad at it" and wasn't asked again. I was kind of relieved. I'm happy to paste, reset, and stuff, but I feel like score keeping really keeps me from learning the stage prior to shooting.

When I stepped up to shoot, I was asked "Where is it?" and I showed the gun prior to Make ready. I got a "Ugh, you can't..." and I said "I already have match director approval to shoot, but you're welcome to ask for him" and his sentence trailed off and was followed by "Make Ready". I holstered in my normal manner: thumb on hammer, dominate side leg back, exaggerated lean, hard look. RO was silent. I shot the stage. "If finished, Unload and show clear. I see clear, Hammer down" I did so. "Now, very very slowly and without flagging yourself reholster". Apparently now that I'm reholstering an empty gun he was looking close for a DQ. I replied with "Absolutely" and reholstered as I had before.

Once again I've found that after watching me shoot a stage all reference to me shooting AIWB becomes very tongue in cheek, and well meant fun. I didn't advertise it between stages or anything, but showed those who asked. There were a few, but none malicious. The match director, Chad, put on a hell of a fun match and it flowed pretty smooth.

I've seen one guy at all 3 matches I've shot (Dan). It's cool to start seeing the same faces and talking shop with them about shooting. Made a new friend named Frank who had spent alot of time at Ft. Drum and saw a NY patch on my shooting bag. This game really brings everyone together even when society makes out like your radically different. You aren't. I guess it's alot like the Army in that way. Either way the folks who play the game all tend to be awesome.

-Cory
    Wondering how things went for @tyrusasmith. This game is a ton of fun, and it really sucks to see someone who can't give it a shot. If you're being safe and within the rules then you should be good to go.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 04-14-2019 at 03:12 PM.

I plan to shoot only 6 matches per years because other obligations, but it is time once again for signup. Coincidentally I'm able to compete April 28th, and that is the weekend the same club is hosting the match. To prepare for any issues with AIWB, I contacted a member of the board of directors and forwarded him the info from Troy Mcmanus. He passed it along to the entire club's board and they are all aware and agree that as long as I handle the gun safely it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully it goes smoothly, but I'll try to kill them with safety, kindness ( and a good match performance) again.

I'm planning on going with another Gabe White class alumni @Sauer Koch and if I remember correctly it will be his first USPSA match as well. Should be fun!
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Yes, I’ve shot three IDPA matches, but never USPSA, should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Yes, I’ve shot three IDPA matches, but never USPSA, should be fun.
    Interested in your opinion of one vs the other. Will tune in next week for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Interested in your opinion of one vs the other. Will tune in next week for that.
    Yeah, it’ll be interesting. I’ve seen plenty of USPSA on YT, etc, but it seems more stressful, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, due to the freedom to shoot the stage however you see fit.
    Been shooting my P30 LEM consistently since December, so I’d rather use it, but with this dickhead RO, I’m considering shooting my Grayguns tuned 226, with my OWB Blackpoint Tactical holster. I know USPSA is much more ‘gamey’ than IDPA, but hopefully they don’t get their panties in a wad...

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’ve done a few idpa matches so far this year, and just did my first USPSA match. Total newbie at everything, unlike others in the thread. I had a lot of fun, and will shoot more of both. Shooting production in USPSA, I can see I need to learn to manage reloads more proactively, can’t just rely on slide lock as one does in idpa. Also, for me it just requires more planning and memorization, as the stages are longer and involve more shooting, more targets ....the stage walkthrough is a bigger deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Yeah, it’ll be interesting. I’ve seen plenty of USPSA on YT, etc, but it seems more stressful, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, due to the freedom to shoot the stage however you see fit.
    Been shooting my P30 LEM consistently since December, so I’d rather use it, but with this dickhead RO, I’m considering shooting my Grayguns tuned 226, with my OWB Blackpoint Tactical holster. I know USPSA is much more ‘gamey’ than IDPA, but hopefully they don’t get their panties in a wad...
    Do what you want within the rules and don't concern yourself with dickheads. ROs do not get to make up rules unless someone lets them do it unchecked.

But depending on how things go it might be smart to have a strong side holster in the range bag. That way a trip to the safe area can fix the issue if that's how you choose to solve it.

I suppose USPSA is more "stressful" because you're not told how to basically deal with the problem. I think that's a plus.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 04-16-2019 at 04:26 AM.

User Tag List