Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st match. AIWB Lim Minor.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    it seems like this thread is serving as the current AIWB in USPSA thread
    Based on the quote from the OP, I hope this is the right place to post this.

After I took a Gabe White class I got interested in skills testing under pressure with my carry gear and decided to try USPSA Lim Minor running AIWB from concealment for my first USPSA match ever. I ended up placing 11th out of 20 in my division and overall had a great time. The stages were fun and I got to take my wife and daughters out to the range to cheer me on. I felt I did as well as I could with the skills I had at the time. I have to work more on focusing on the front sight. Throughout the match I only had 1 miss of the cover garment during draw, and 1 reload that didn't go in the magwell like butter. This was the first time I've ever shot a spinning target ( Irish Plate Rack ) and I think If I'd had more ( any) experience doing that I could have easily placed higher in the standings. I plan to compete in another match in a few months.

Now for the detailed experience with the R.O. and AIWB in USPSA. In short, the head guy didn't know AIWB was legal in USPSA and treated me like my holster and gun was a suicide bomb. Multiple times before the match he said he was going to DQ me for any questionable offense, and his tone came across as he was out to DQ me as a way to dissuade me from AIWB altogether. More bluntly... I'm an idiot for even considering AIWB at all. He said that he would let it slide today, but don't come back here again with that setup.

Read on if you feel compelled to do so...

I followed the advice from Gabe, and this forum to immediately seek out the person in charge to let them know my intentions on gear setup. Next time I'm going to have to call and email in advance just so I can make extra sure I don't catch them off guard. Possibly even get some sort of letter from a higher up?

• Specifically before each load and make ready he would threaten me with a DQ for this or that potential issue. ( Although those issues weren't something I'd encounter with the draw technique I've practiced)
    • On the turn and draw el prez classifier, as I was about to load and make ready, he said that if the muzzle came past him he'd shoot me dead then and there.
    • As I was on deck for the stage I could here him say to others "there are other organizations for what I'm trying to do, and he doesn't know why I'm even here".
    • As I was going to run my first draw stage he asked if I needed to tuck my shirt in before making ready. I said, "No sir, I don't intend to." Which was met with a scoff and eye roll so hard I could see it behind his sunglasses.
    • After the match, I can see in the videos my wife filmed, him talking shit and criticizing my methods behind my back.
    • After a stage with a reload ( which I did rather quickly) he said, " You know, you don't have to rack the slide after a reload when your first mag isn't empty, you're just dropping rounds on the ground and wasting time." I replied, " Thanks, but I don't think I did that sir." He swore "TO GOD" I did and suggested that when the timer goes off I wouldn't be able to remember anything anyway.... Upon review of the video, I reloaded normally without any extra weapons manipulations.
    • I heard alot of the southpark "Timmy" catchphrase all day just within earshot.

All in all, I killed him with kindness and gun handling safety second to none. I even placed only 2 slots below him overall out of 53 shooters.
    It kind of sucked to have that first match pressure compounded by someone who made it obvious they didn't like what I was doing, and was out to DQ me. That is really the only part that irks me was the discomfort he put on me right as I was getting ready to make ready. I totally lost focus I felt it may have been unnecessary.

As an aside, to give an idea of this guy's attitude. He was wearing a custom shirt that said:
    Because I'm
    THE [Guy's name here]
    that's why.

Overall, I'd recommend USPSA Lim Minor AIWB from concealment as long as you communicate with the head R.O. ahead of the competition.
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post

[LIST][*]Specifically before each load and make ready he would threaten me with a DQ for this or that potential issue. ( Although those issues weren't something I'd encounter with the draw technique I've practiced)[*][*]On the turn and draw el prez classifier, as I was about to load and make ready, he said that if the muzzle came past him he'd shoot me dead then and there.[*][*]As I was on deck for the stage I could here him say to others "there are other organizations for what I'm trying to do, and he doesn't know why I'm even here".[*]

Sounds like you encountered a dude who had zero/zilch/nada business being a RO. I'd see if you could get the MD involved because a dude threatening to shoot you is not the kind if attitude USPSA needs to be projecting to the broader firearms community.

Gabe is not unknown in the sport and he has been featured in the major publications of USPSA.

That sort of behavior is unacceptable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 03-25-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Sounds like you encountered a dude who had zero/zilch/nada business being a RO. I'd see if you could get the MD involved because a dude threatening to shoot you is not the kind if attitude USPSA needs to be projecting to the broader firearms community.

Gabe is not unknown in the sport and he has been featured in the major publications of USPSA.

That sort of behavior is unacceptable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. That dude’s behavior would have had me protesting to the match director on another shooter’s behalf, let alone my own, and probably writing a formal complaint to the club president.

After I took a Gabe White class I got interested in skills testing under pressure with my carry gear and decided to try USPSA Lim Minor running AIWB from concealment for my first USPSA match ever. I ended up placing 11th out of 20 in my division and overall had a great time. The stages were fun and I got to take my wife and daughters out to the range to cheer me on. I felt I did as well as I could with the skills I had at the time. I have to work more on focusing on the front sight. Throughout the match I only had 1 miss of the cover garment during draw, and 1 reload that didn't go in the magwell like butter. This was the first time I've ever shot a spinning target ( Irish Plate Rack ) and I think If I'd had more ( any) experience doing that I could have easily placed higher in the standings. I plan to compete in another match in a few months.

Now for the detailed experience with the R.O. and AIWB in USPSA. In short, the head guy didn't know AIWB was legal in USPSA and treated me like my holster and gun was a suicide bomb. Multiple times before the match he said he was going to DQ me for any questionable offense, and his tone came across as he was out to DQ me as a way to dissuade me from AIWB altogether. More bluntly... I'm an idiot for even considering AIWB at all. He said that he would let it slide today, but don't come back here again with that setup.

I followed the advice from Gabe, and this forum to immediately seek out the person in charge to let them know my intentions on gear setup. Next time I'm going to have to call and email in advance just so I can make extra sure I don't catch them off guard. Possibly even get some sort of letter from a higher up?

• Specifically before each load and make ready he would threaten me with a DQ for this or that potential issue. ( Although those issues weren't something I'd encounter with the draw technique I've practiced)
    • On the turn and draw el prez classifier, as I was about to load and make ready, he said that if the muzzle came past him he'd shoot me dead then and there.
    • As I was on deck for the stage I could here him say to others "there are other organizations for what I'm trying to do, and he doesn't know why I'm even here".
    • As I was going to run my first draw stage he asked if I needed to tuck my shirt in before making ready. I said, "No sir, I don't intend to." Which was met with a scoff and eye roll so hard I could see it behind his sunglasses.
    • After the match, I can see in the videos my wife filmed, him talking shit and criticizing my methods behind my back.
    • After a stage with a reload ( which I did rather quickly) he said, " You know, you don't have to rack the slide after a reload when your first mag isn't empty, you're just dropping rounds on the ground and wasting time." I replied, " Thanks, but I don't think I did that sir." He swore "TO GOD" I did and suggested that when the timer goes off I wouldn't be able to remember anything anyway.... Upon review of the video, I reloaded normally without any extra weapons manipulations.
    • I heard alot of the southpark "Timmy" catchphrase all day just within earshot.

All in all, I killed him with kindness and gun handling safety second to none. I even placed only 2 slots below him overall out of 53 shooters.
    It kind of sucked to have that first match pressure compounded by someone who made it obvious they didn't like what I was doing, and was out to DQ me. That is really the only part that irks me was the discomfort he put on me right as I was getting ready to make ready. I totally lost focus I felt it may have been unnecessary.

As an aside, to give an idea of this guy's attitude. He was wearing a custom shirt that said:
    Because I'm
    THE [Guy's name here]
    that's why.

Overall, I'd recommend USPSA Lim Minor AIWB from concealment as long as you communicate with the head R.O. ahead of the competition.
    Guys like him need to be run the F out of the sport on a rail.

What's his name and what club was this at?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Guys like him need to be run the F out of the sport on a rail.

What's his name and what club was this at?

Avoiding posting that kind of foolishness is one of the many reasons this place holds a higher standard. Just sayin’.
    Last edited by taadski; 03-25-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Avoiding posting that kind of foolishness is one of the many reasons this place holds a higher standard. Just sayin’.
    I don't consider outing an unprofessional RO to be foolishness. It diminishes the integrity and appeal of the sport. I am certain USPSA HQ would love to know.

Maybe @tyrusasmith should express his concerns on doodieproject, a "foolish" forum where such things that affect the sport negatively are taken seriously. Kinda like Paul V Hendricks +2 systematic cheating...…

It's too bad there's no video of tyrusasmith's match. Then we would not only have this guy's face but also audio and video of his outrageous comments.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-25-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Good idea. Take it to Doodie Project.

And while I’m not making excuses for the clown shoe antics, posting personal info isn’t appropriate in my opinion.

And just to put it out there, ROs aren’t “professionals”, they’re volunteers from all walks. And in a lot of clubs there are slim pickings. But again, no excuses for the behavior. Seems like the OP speaking with the MD would be the best course of action.

Because I'm
    THE [Guy's name here]
    that's why.

This is as good a place as any for it.

I'm sorry your experience was so different from mine. I was addressed with caution, and after a single stage it became an entirely non-issue. At 2 different clubs.

The first time someone threatens to shoot me completely unprovoked I would be lodging a formal complaint against them and would press the issue until adequately addressed. USPSA is so much fun, and this just discourages folks from shooting it with the gear they might have.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Coming from a doodie, this means more. I'm not sure how this is best addressed but I'm certain that some members here know.

-Cory

I encourage tyrusasmith to contact USPSA HQ directly.

If he's not a member, here's a link to the incident report form: https://uspsa.org/viewer/NROI_Incident_Report.pdf
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-25-2019 at 09:54 AM.

@tyrusasmith, that sucks. In my experience its rare to have such a douchebag RO. You dealt with it well. The MD should be able to help you avoid that kind of treatment in the future.

“Did I break any rules?”

If not you can ask him to please be quiet so you can concentrate on the competition.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List