Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1st match. AIWB Lim Minor.

Full post about my match:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post884295

Shot "Extreme GM" match. I did absolutely terrible. Hard match for me, with a lot of lessons learned.

Nobody cared about me shooting AIWB. At all. It was a far more experienced group of USPSA shooters though.

My first stage the RO asked me if I was comfortable with shooting. I told him I was comfortable and safe as a shooter, and that after seeing me shoot my first stage everyone tends to realize that. I did tell him "I reholster slow, and I pay attention to that. If that bothers you you'll get over it". He smiled and said something along the lines of "I've got no problem with that at all". While he asked me that stuff, he never really referenced the fact that he might have been worried about AIWB. Not knowing me, I think that's something he would have done with every new face my age at his regular club.

On another stage the acting RO (different guy) threw me for a loop when he said "If you are finished, unload show clear, clear, hammer down... and waistband" I immediately froze and asked him to repeat it. He did "Waistband... holster" I told him I thought he was hunting for a DQ because not everyone likes what I'm doing with AIWB. He laughed and was like "Nah man, just messing with ya"

On another stage while making ready I heard the same guy say "Here goes Gabe White". While walking between two hot stages I called back "I wish I shot like Gabe White!". After shooting the next stage and clearing I talked with him about it. He basically was like I know that became popular when Gabe White started shooting AWIB and became a Master. I told him that Gabe posts here on PF and has offered me a ton of valuable advice. Another guy jumped into the conversation and was talking about Gabe hitting bowling pins and tennis balls one handed at a dead run, and how that's incredible.

I don't think anyone had any problem with AIWB at all (in fact nobody even mentioned it outside of referencing Gabe White) and everyone could have cared less. They talked with me more about how to develop skill than about the fact I'm using AIWB. There was talk about how limited minor was going to really going to be a hindrance when shooting against major power factor. In fact, that was talked about more I think.

@Mr_White I couldn't pass on your regards to Mr. Bragg. He wasn't actually present at the match, his counter part Gorka Ibanez ran it.

-Cory

Cory,

Thanks for the report. No worries on saying hi to Manny - after I asked, I realized it might not be very practical depending on how it worked out.

I'm not surprised people weren't uppity/bothered by/impressed by AIWB - that's been my experience overall. Shooting and integrating it with all the movement is what USPSA is all about. Major vs minor is a way bigger factor than holster position.

Reloads - I have always benefited in USPSA from rolling heavy as a timmy. I don't have to change my gun around to have something very very capable to shoot with. I add a couple additional spare magazines in a back pocket just in case, but as a rule I don't need more than the two spares on my belt that I'm already carrying anyway. Larger capacity magazines also play into this - I've willingly oriented gear right at the convergence of carry and gaming for me.

Stage planning will partly come with time. Ben Stoeger's class also helped me enormously with stage planning. It's not like I'm great at it, but my score suffers due to idiotic stage planning a LOT less frequently than before.

To offer a super basic method, try this:

1. Read the written stage briefing. Make sure you know how many rounds are required per target (sometimes it's not best 2 on paper...) and how many total rounds the stage is.

2. Walk around the outside of the stage and make sure you have actually located all the targets.

3. Identify the spots you must go to in order to shoot all the targets. This will define a lot of your stage plan because these spots are not optional.

4. Figure out where you are going to shoot the other targets from - ideally from the mandatory positions you're already going to, or while moving between them.

5. Figure out where the reloads have to happen.

6. Walk through as many times as you can during the 5 minute period.

7. Make sure you quit taping and resetting 2-3 shooters before your turn and just think through and visualize your plan over and over as many times as you can. Ideally, you should be able to visualize the entire plan from start to finish with your eyes closed.

8. Remember you can rob stage plans off other shooters. I do this a lot. They see a lot of things I miss in stage planning.

9. The consensus at the upper levels of USPSA is that there is not usually a lot of magic in stage planning. Among decent plans the difference is in quality of execution. Just don't have a bad plan, and it will all boil down to the shooting and movement.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Student
    While the Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado is my favorite, I haven't been able to attend since the beginning of the year when I changed hours at my side job. Somebody at the monthly IDPA Classifier at the Phoenix Rod & Gun yesterday morning mentioned that the the monthly Intro to Steel should be coming up and that's when I thought about this thread. They go by USPSA rules and while I'd gone enough times to be told to stop registering on Practiscore as Novice and go in D Limited so I didn't have to download my magazines, it had only just clicked that being in Limited meant I should also be able to draw from concealed appendix.

Having made that realization alone wouldn't have been enough for me to leave my ALS in my range bag if it hadn't been for that classifier I shot earlier. It was the first IDPA event I attended as well as my first visit to the PRGC and while I was told it could be shot without concealment, I'd insisted on using an IWB anyway -- might as well stay consistent for the future if I can make it to a regular match. However, the difference combined with wearing my magazines on my offhand side instead of centerline was something I was no longer used to. Likely not enough to make Expert instead of Sharpshooter though, my final time was in the 120s for ESP. There's always next month.

So anyhow I shot the Intro to Steel from AIWB for the first time and I was reminded that the friendly-as-ever reception from the same familiar ROs was one of the big reasons I kept coming back to Rio Salado after taking their practical starter course. On the first stage I was asked "Where's your gun?" and then something along the lines of 'Oh yeah, USPSA allows that' and that was about it. Someone even made a quick trip to the next bay where the other stages were to let them know I was good to go and I really should have come back and thanked him for that after I was done for the day.

My hope is more folks take the plunge and show everyone this can be just another thing so that one day we can be hipsters and unironically say we were doing it in competition before it went mainstream. Just kidding,I wanna be special forever.

For fun, I would like to occasionally shoot from AIWB at USPSA matches, but my CO pistol would put me in Open. Hopefully USPSA changes that, so AIWB is legal for Production and CO, not just Limited and Open.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post
    Gabe, do you have any posts detailing your current gear selection and placement? (Most specifically your mag pouches)

I run my normal carry gear with an appendix Keeper holster and single appendix mag pouch, but I carry additional mags in a double owb mag pouch at 9 o'clock. I find that my shirt stays up over the mags about 50% of the time after my draw and that helps on the reloads. Do you setup your gear to try to encourage your shirt to stay up over your mags after the draw?

Do you have any videos out there detailing clearing a shirt to grab the mag? I've stumbled upon this technique where I wave my hand in a circle to sweep the shirt out the way, then grab the mag. It seems to work better than pulling the shirt up and trying to grab it before the shirt falls back down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I'll try to get back to you with a video and more explanation of my hand path sometime soon. I'm currently using two JMCK OWB single pouches at about 9/9:30. Like you, my shirt piles on top of the mag pouches a significant amount of the time, leaving the magazines exposed. However, I can't rely on that happening, so I always have to move my hand to clear the shirt even if the shirt sometimes turns out not to be in the way.
    Ok Tyrus, here you go! This video is set up to show the mag-retrieval side. It has four reps shown at full speed (plus time for each) and then the same four reps shown at quarter speed. Hopefully you can see the detail of the magazine retrieval. The 'trick' for me is a consistent shirt clear, because that supports a consistent grip on the magazine, which is the big key to reloads. For me, the consistent shirt clear is dependent on this: I have to make sure my support hand fingers touch my pant leg. If I don't make sure the fingers touch the pants, then it often results in a short-stroked shirt clearing motion, failure to actually clear the shirt, failure to consistently grasp the magazine, and the reload falls apart. I really only lift the shirt a minimal amount - enough to get the baseplate in my palm. The shirt kind of piles on top of my hand but falls away as I bring out the new magazine.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Clearly not Tyrus nor Cory but thx. for the detailed explanations plus the videos Gabe, they're all very helpful both for stage planning & working reloads.

I'm a mere C class shooter in CO that also shoots AIWB w/ a shirt over but my JMCK single mags. are carried @ 1100.

Going to try your 900-930 position w/ them this Saturday & this > " I have to make sure my support hand fingers touch my pant leg. If I don't make sure the fingers touch the pants, then it often results in a short-stroked shirt clearing motion " stood out to me.

Already signed up for your DFW class but in the mean time tips like your last two posts give me/us additional info. for tweaking/refining our P shooting skills.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 05-28-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    This video is set up to show the mag-retrieval side.
    Gabe, thanks so much for taking the time to demonstrate this in detail. Your movement looks more efficient than mine and I'll definitely put in some time to try it myself.

Once again, class act on your part, thanks!
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Did some AIWB USPSA in July. Hooked up on 2 stages, bombed the rest. My lizard brain fought me to focus on the front sight and I ended up target focusing the entire match. I've been focusing my practice lately on making sure I stay front sight focused despite the adrenaline.

Here are the applicable AIWB stages.

I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post
    I've been focusing my practice lately on making sure I stay front sight focused despite the adrenaline.
    Nobody out there doing good is front sight focused for much of a match. 15 yard partial yes, but for most stuff you can just look through your sights. Would probably make a good thread topic.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Nobody out there doing good is front sight focused for much of a match. 15 yard partial yes, but for most stuff you can just look through your sights. Would probably make a good thread topic.
    I'm a total USPSA scrub. but I tend to agree with this. On the stages I see through my sights instead of looking at them I'm far faster. Oddly, the accuracy and As seem about the same either way. If it's equal accuracy but one is faster then there is a clearly better approach.

-Cory

User Tag List