Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st match. AIWB Lim Minor.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    So looks like I'll be shooting Saturday in Volusia County FL for a matched hosted by Extreme GM. That's i guess a duo of Gorka Ibanez and Manny Bragg.

Gotta drive 2 hours 15 minutes to get to the match, and register by 830ish AM. So I guess I've got the bug.

The cool part? Looks like the MD from my local club will be in my squad. He's a Master in production and A in limited. Hopefully a lot to learn from being on his squad.

-Cory
    If you think of it, extend my regards to Manny!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post
    I'm considering a red dot for my P229, more specifically an ACRO. Do you think it would be easier to move up in class shooting lim minor with irons, or open minor with an acro?

I'm excited about shooting like I carry, and I'm interested in the acro, but I'm concerned that moving up in class would be unnecessarily difficult in open. My eyes are still decent right now, so I'm not forced that way at the moment. I'm also torn between the "shoot like a man with irons" mentality vs the " dots are the future, jump in early" mentality.
    I think the answer is “it depends.” On field courses, where you make one draw, one reload, and shoot a lot, the appendix draw and reload doesn’t cost you like on a classifier. On a classifier, where you generally draw and reload, shooting only a few rounds, the concealed appendix draw and reload is going to be a significant penalty.

Both Open and Limited are going to be hard to move up in, shooting minor from concealment, but Open more so than Limited. The Acro is a great defensive sight, but not so great a gaming sight.

For me, Carry Optics is the sweet spot, using an open carry holster and mag pouches, and I can easily practice appendix draws outside of competition.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the answer is “it depends.” On field courses, where you make one draw, one reload, and shoot a lot, the appendix draw and reload doesn’t cost you like on a classifier. On a classifier, where you generally draw and reload, shooting only a few rounds, the concealed appendix draw and reload is going to be a significant penalty.

Both Open and Limited are going to be hard to move up in, shooting minor from concealment, but Open more so than Limited. The Acro is a great defensive sight, but not so great a gaming sight.

For me, Carry Optics is the sweet spot, using an open carry holster and mag pouches, and I can easily practice appendix draws outside of competition.
    I agree. I think both will be hard - Open probably harder than Limited.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith
    Do you think it would be easier to move up in class shooting lim minor with irons, or open minor with an acro?
    Yeah, what Gabe and George said.

I was personally going to respond “Neither of the above” when I read your post. 😆

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thanks for the insight and confirming the direction I'm leaning.
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I agree. I think both will be hard - Open probably harder than Limited.
    Gabe, do you have any posts detailing your current gear selection and placement? (Most specifically your mag pouches)

I run my normal carry gear with an appendix Keeper holster and single appendix mag pouch, but I carry additional mags in a double owb mag pouch at 9 o'clock. I find that my shirt stays up over the mags about 50% of the time after my draw and that helps on the reloads. Do you setup your gear to try to encourage your shirt to stay up over your mags after the draw?

Do you have any videos out there detailing clearing a shirt to grab the mag? I've stumbled upon this technique where I wave my hand in a circle to sweep the shirt out the way, then grab the mag. It seems to work better than pulling the shirt up and trying to grab it before the shirt falls back down.
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You guys might enjoy this

Stepan is 81% Limited shooter.

Like many Russians, he is on a smarter side so, as GJM has pointed out, he does shoot major pf.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post
    Gabe, do you have any posts detailing your current gear selection and placement? (Most specifically your mag pouches)

I run my normal carry gear with an appendix Keeper holster and single appendix mag pouch, but I carry additional mags in a double owb mag pouch at 9 o'clock. I find that my shirt stays up over the mags about 50% of the time after my draw and that helps on the reloads. Do you setup your gear to try to encourage your shirt to stay up over your mags after the draw?

Do you have any videos out there detailing clearing a shirt to grab the mag? I've stumbled upon this technique where I wave my hand in a circle to sweep the shirt out the way, then grab the mag. It seems to work better than pulling the shirt up and trying to grab it before the shirt falls back down.
    I'll try to get back to you with a video and more explanation of my hand path sometime soon. I'm currently using two JMCK OWB single pouches at about 9/9:30. Like you, my shirt piles on top of the mag pouches a significant amount of the time, leaving the magazines exposed. However, I can't rely on that happening, so I always have to move my hand to clear the shirt even if the shirt sometimes turns out not to be in the way.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Stepan is 81% Limited shooter.

Like many Russians, he is on a smarter side so, as GJM has pointed out, he does shoot major pf.
    I just wanna know if the RO wearing jeans and a Safariland cap is single

Not sure. Really nice gal.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List