Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st match. AIWB Lim Minor.

1st match. AIWB Lim Minor.

Cross posted in my training journal:

So I pretty much stopped recording dry fire. Plus, the move to Florida has pretty much mirrored my move to Kentucky with trouble finding a regular range to shoot at.

That being said... I shot my first USPSA match ever today. A117824 if you're interested.

My first match was 4 classifiers and 2 field courses. I shot limited-minor from AIWB from a Keepers Concealment holster. JMCK AIWB mag pouch (for a glock). 124gr winchester white box ammo. Beretta OEM 15 round magazines.

First thing I did when I arrived to the match was seek out the match director. I introduced myself, and let him know it was my first match. I told him I wanted to touch base with him because I was shooting AIWB in Limited Minor. I told him I had shot some steel challenge club matches before, was prior service and stuff. Not new to shooting, just new to USPSA. I wanted to make sure he knew in case any ROs had questions. He was fine with it as long as I was in the right division, and just stated make sure that I don't break 180. He was pretty relaxed with it.

I paid the fee and got signed in. I wound up chit chatting with an open shooter before the match got started, and helped move a few things around (target stands). I found out why I couldn't preregister. Apparently the club doesn't use practiscore for registering and instead uses matchsignup.com or something. After the squads were read off, the open shooter I had been chit chatting with turned out to be the primary RO on our squad. That's cool.

I took some ribbing about shooting my junk off, but it was mostly in good nature. After the first stage (6 steel classifier) the junk shooting stuff had less of an edge to it. It was obvious this wasn't my first time shooting and that I'm pretty safe. During the first stage a guy approached me, taught me how to use a tablet to enter scores and walked away. He didn't realize I was a shooter. So when I was "In the hole" I gave it back. He asked if I was shooting, and I revealed the Beretta. "You're shooting from appendix concealed?!?!" and I replied with "Yes, I am." and went and made ready and shot. He talked to me about trying IDPA a lot the rest of the day. I told him I can't shoot AIWB in IDPA but he let me know he had seen it done for years. I smiled.

Stage 2 was another classifier, but this one was turn and draw with some no shoots. I tagged a no shoot twice. I was about 1/4inch low from the Alpha. Dang. That was 2 mikes and 2 no shoots. Oh well.

Stage 3 was Virginia count classifier. 5 reload transition 5. String 2 was pretty much the same. On string 1 I goofed up and shot 6 rounds (thinking of bill drills dang it).

Stage 4 was a mirror stage with reload in the middle. Nothing special on the stage or my performance. I could have tightened up on the 25yd shots. Love the fiber optics though.

Stage 5 was a field course through a shoot house. This is where I really screwed up, but its going to take some real time to improve this mistake. I wound up missing an entire target. I was s busy pasting and "getting advice" that I didn't get a good enough look at the stage and just plane missed it. With only 2 of us seemingly willing to run the tablet it kinda forced me into that role half the time. Other wise this was a decent stage.

Stage 6 was another field course. Once again missed a target. I was first up shooter so it was more a matter of trying to get my look at the stage when their were like 11 other people also trying to look. That sucked. The stage started with 3 pieces of steel, and I'm really comfortable with steel. You hit it and move on. There is no B zone, and dumb as it sounds I like that. But I really need to work on the "game" part of it just as much as my shooting. Knowing my stage plans in the future will help.

Basically I just made rookie mistakes.

After all was said and done I chit chatted guns with that open shooter, and we talked about different ranges and different guns. As I was leaving an older guy from registration asked how I liked the match. I told him I loved it, but thought some were a little put off by me shooting concealment. I was immediately informed I can't carry conceal at this club any time ever. I nodded and said "Oh I didn't know that I've never been here before" to which I got a whole bunch of "Yeah well you can't". Apparently I'm a super danger for carrying a (unloaded) gun at the gun club. Oh well. I suspect this could be trouble from them next month, but I did already get the okay from the match director. Who knows. That wasn't the warmest reception but it was at the end of my match.

I promised @Luke video of my first match a long time ago. I only remembered to ask someone to record on the first stage. Sorry. I'm happy to be able to get a classification from my first match, and look forward to seeing how I did. I had alot of low hanging fruit to fix, so I know whatever the classification is it will be easy to improve on. I'm hooked.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    "You're shooting from appendix concealed?!?!" and I replied with "Yes, I am." and went and made ready and shot. He talked to me about trying IDPA a lot the rest of the day. I told him I can't shoot AIWB in IDPA but he let me know he had seen it done for years. I smiled.
    Why, oh why can't some people stop with the unsolicited (and wrong) advice......

As for the old guy who told you that you may not carry a concealed handgun at that club.....trust but verify, if you even care. I've lost count of the times someone told me some of range "rule" that has nothing to back it up in writing.

You found one of the reasons why I never reveal that I have a pistol hidden on me during casual conversation no matter who it is I'm talking to or where I am.

Nice man. Good job for getting out there and doing it! I HATE, HATE, HATE forgetting a target - just sucks to loose those points for a target you didn't even get to shoot at. Thankfully it doesn't really happen much anymore - that is the first thing you need to know when you get to a stage- how many targets? Then - what is the start position. There really is a bit of just learning how to shoot a match.

I wouldn't worry about the dude hounding you about concealed carry. He might not have known that even though your carrying concealed, because it's a USPSA match, your unloaded the whole time - until you shoot. I would just roll on with the folks who are running the match.

BTW, did you just decock at the show clear? Looked like you might have. I believe it is a rule that you have to have the hammer down, aka drop the hammer on a clear chamber. I could be wrong.

Anyways good job, get back out there and have fun.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Nice man. Good job for getting out there and doing it! I HATE, HATE, HATE forgetting a target - just sucks to loose those points for a target you didn't even get to shoot at. Thankfully it doesn't really happen much anymore - that is the first thing you need to know when you get to a stage- how many targets? Then - what is the start position. There really is a bit of just learning how to shoot a match.

I wouldn't worry about the dude hounding you about concealed carry. He might not have known that even though your carrying concealed, because it's a USPSA match, your unloaded the whole time - until you shoot. I would just roll on with the folks who are running the match.

BTW, did you just decock at the show clear? Looked like you might have. I believe it is a rule that you have to have the hammer down, aka drop the hammer on a clear chamber. I could be wrong.

Anyways good job, get back out there and have fun.
    Yeah, on the 1st field course I would up with a brief walk through because I started on deck, and was one of few pasting. That and getting advice from a pcc guy. The 2nd field course I was first up and just plain missed it with all the people.

I decocked, and my RO said "I get it, so no big deal but others will DQ if you don't pull the trigger" and I pulled it from there on.

The old timers knew it was unloaded. Whatever. This is enough fun I'll drive an hour and a half to another club if it's that big a thing. Hell, I'll tuck a shirt behind it until make ready if thats what they want. I just want to get out there again.

-Cory

While I agree with the RO cutting you slack the first time about the decocker, he should have asked you to go through the ULSC procedure one more time.

I would have, not to be a Richard but to follow safety SOP to the letter.

BTW glad you had fun. It is kinda addictive. I took a four year break and now need to catch up.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-10-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    This is enough fun I'll drive an hour and a half to another club if it's that big a thing....I just want to get out there again.

And so it begins. 😁

Congrats on getting out there. It has been a long time coming!

Good job dude! Don’t feel bad about missing targets. That’s common for new competitors even if they did spend time memorizing and visualizing their stage plan before shooting. Folks should not have been distracting you right before your turn. Also, who makes the new guy shoot first?

There are a lot of rules, and you don’t need to worry about most of them. Just the Match DQ rules. At yesterday’s match we had a new guy, also with a Beretta. He holstered it hot with the hammer back (no safety) and luckily for him, the guy who was running him didn’t DQ him. I would have.

Is AIWB worth the hassle? A gamer rig can make things so much easier.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

DQ for decocking instead of dryfiring at the ULSC would be a real overreaction or the proverbial range Nazi.
    All he had to do was tell you to pull the trigger, or, better, run you through the whole ULSC cycle again. I have done so many times for various reasons, most often for the "Speed Unload."

Concealed carry at USPSA is very unusual, although required at IDPA.

AIWB would be OK in Limited, not allowed in Production. Not allowed in IDPA even if somebody says it "has been done for years."

Keeping your loaded BUG on your person during a match is not allowed. Obviously you can get away with it under adequate concealment, but if you should flash, you are done. USPSA rules 2.5, 10.5.7, 10.5.13.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    And so it begins. 😁

Congrats on getting out there. It has been a long time coming!
    It really has been a long time coming. Turns out, everyone was right. You can't gst ready for your first match by getting good enough.

Is AIWB worth the hassle? A gamer rig can make things so much easier
    It is for now. I dont have the gear to play production, and I dont know if I want to. Honestly, the shooting ability seems way more important than the fancy belts. If I can stick with what I'm doing I think I will for a bit.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    DQ for decocking instead of dryfiring at the ULSC would be a real overreaction or the proverbial range Nazi.
    It's also a DQ that you can easily beat at arb.

There is no DQ penalty for decocking instead of dropping the hammer by pressing the trigger in chapter 10. The only DQ would be if he cranked out a shot during ULSC (8.3.7.4)

But it's best to avoid the whole mess by knowing and following the procedure.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-11-2019 at 08:34 AM.

User Tag List