View Poll Results: Which one is the current ban state hotness?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 43x

18 13.64%
  • Glock 48

46 34.85%
  • Glock 26

57 43.18%
  • Mods here are shit

18 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10-round G Consensus poll: 26 v 43x v 48

I only currently have a G43, not a 43X nor a 48.

It's my understanding that Tom at Dark Star Gear (my favorite holster maker) makes his G43 holsters sized longer than needed with empty space past the muzzle. This was done before the announcement of the G48 and for the purpose of having a little extra depth to prevent the holstered gun from flipping forward around the waistline. Similar theory in Tom's newest mag pouches that go an extra inch or so deeper than needed and utilize a little spacer to prevent the mag from getting inserted too deep inside.

I believe Tom's G43 holsters will hold the G48. Given the holster is the same length, I don't see why I'd choose to run a G43X over a G48 if I was using my Dark Star Gear holster. It would feel identical. So I'd either need to get a shorter holster that was sized exactly to the length of the G43x or just run a G48.

Tom strikes me as a brilliant engineer who has taken training with top men (top... men) so if he added an extra little bit past the muzzle on the G43 holster, I suspect there's a really good reason for that. I'd like to hear Tom weigh in on this because if it's not desirable to have a G43x holster be smaller than a G48 holster, then it negates the desire for me to have a G43x. I think Tony Mayer makes holsters that are just as good as Tom, but I don't own any so I'm not sure if Tony gives a little extra empty space beyond the muzzle on G43/43X holsters.

Honestly Doc gave the best advice.

I feel a chopped 19 is the best option. G19 proven reliability, rail for lights and everything else that is available for 19 sized guns.

Carried a 26 daily for 10+ years. Wearing it now...

Shot the 43 several times, and while I liked it, I did not want to give up capacity for thin size. We do not authorize the 43X or 48 for duty, so those are not an option for me.

But, having spent some time with the p365 recently, I am seriously considering a change. The magazine issue is a concern, as I can stuff my g17 mags into my 26 all day long. But with the 365, the most I can get is 12 rounds. The thinness of that gun with 10 rounds is just perfect.

This pic is 20 round at 25 yards (two handed slow fire). I like my 26, and it had a proven track record. The p365 is just thin enough to feel better IWB.

Name:  IMG_2761[1].jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  20.3 KB
    Last edited by Gadfly; 03-11-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

10-round G Consensus poll: 26 v 43x v 48

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Could anyone with one tell me the actual weight in oz’s of a G43x loaded 10+1 (ideally Federal HST 147)?
    Well I am now at my home PC and looked this up. Per Glock Web site (us.glock.com):

Glock 43X weight with empty magazine: 18.70 oz (https://us.glock.com/Products/g43x_silver_slide)

Glock 26 Gen 5 with empty 10 round magazine: 21.69 oz (https://us.glock.com/Products/G26%20Gen5)

10+1 rounds of Federal 147 HST weigh 5.4 oz ("Taylor" model 39194 uncalibrated digital scale liberated from the kitchen just now. Geez I hope she isn't looking.)

So, adding the ammo to the published weights:

Glock 26.5+10+1 HST = 21.69+5.4=27.09
    Glock 43X+10+1 HST = 18.70+5.4=24.10

By comparison, my current EDC Glock 26 Gen 5 with 12 round OEM magazine loaded 12+1 of Federal HST weighs 28.2 oz.

So if I give up the 2 rounds and bought a G43X, I'd be saving just over four ounces, and getting a thinner profile.

Hmmm.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC
    Thiness is a big deal inside the belt.
    I wanted to hate the 43 but it just carried so well. With Suarez +2 mags it's the same length (by eyeball measure) as a 43X grip. The 48 offsets that with a longer slide. After carrying my 48 for a bit I have no use for a 43. The shorter slide might benefit some people but not me. Not saying it's good or bad, just preference.

A couple points I'd like to bring up.

Even if a gun isn't available in a ban state does not mean that those of us with carry permits for those States can't carry them legally. I drive into MA often.

I very seldom carry double stacks any more. They conceal fine, they are just noticably less comfortable. And I carry full sized steal guns.

As a private citizen I do not feel hindered by single stack guns.

I do not like guns that I can not get a full grip on.

I prefer carrying my g19 in a g17 holster, a m9A1 Compact in a A3 holster, etc.

If I was going to buy one of the 3 listed choices I'd go with the 48.

That being said my ban state guns are the same as my free state guns. A M19 or a 1911.
    Last edited by 03RN; 03-11-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Hammertime
    26 all the way for me, but I am certain I would like a chopped 19 better if I had one, and I may do the deed on one because I like the longer barrel AIWB.

I don’t care for single stack guns, especially with long grips. But they work fine.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Well I am now at my home PC and looked this up. Per Glock Web site (us.glock.com):

Glock 43X weight with empty magazine: 18.70 oz (https://us.glock.com/Products/g43x_silver_slide)

Glock 26 Gen 5 with empty 10 round magazine: 21.69 oz (https://us.glock.com/Products/G26%20Gen5)

10+1 rounds of Federal 147 HST weigh 5.4 oz ("Taylor" model 39194 uncalibrated digital scale liberated from the kitchen just now. Geez I hope she isn't looking.)

So, adding the ammo to the published weights:

Glock 26.5+10+1 HST = 21.69+5.4=27.09
    Glock 43X+10+1 HST = 18.70+5.4=24.10

By comparison, my current EDC Glock 26 Gen 5 with 12 round OEM magazine loaded 12+1 of Federal HST weighs 28.2 oz.

G43x 24.4oz loaded 11 147 grain HST

Using my 43 slide on a G48. Scale may be off?

G26. I have over 20 magazines. I have a lot of experience with it.

I live in CA, can’t get a 48 or 43. I won’t pay the premium. Currently have 3 26’s. I’m good for now .

I find I shoot the glock 19 the best and if I go smaller a 43x or 48 would be my choice. With that said, I cannot run guns low on my belt. I watched high speed footage of my draw with the gun that low and my trigger finger would/does sympathetically grip in with the rest of my fingers while I get the gun out of the holster.

Anyone who runs their gun that low, check your draw. I have no issues running it a little off the belt and use a "feel steel" index. For whatever reason my fingers want to curl in all at the same time.

User Tag List