Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45: Purchase Trend?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If someone was looking for a .22 semi-auto to help their training, thoughts between the AA Glock kit, the 22/45 or the newer Ruger polymer 22?
    I had an AA kit. They're more ammo sensitive than a .22 pistol, and they're more sensitive to things like a thumb resting on the slide (reduces the slide velocity).

I would probably get a .22 revolver, like a S&W 617, before getting another AA kit. The S&W revolver appeals to me because it would be a cheap way to refine my trigger pull/finger.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I had an AA kit. They're more ammo sensitive than a .22 pistol, and they're more sensitive to things like a thumb resting on the slide (reduces the slide velocity).

I would probably get a .22 revolver, like a S&W 617, before getting another AA kit. The S&W revolver appeals to me because it would be a cheap way to refine my trigger pull/finger.
    I know several good shooters that swear by this.....
    #RESIST

This. I attribute most of my slow accuracy improvement in the last year to dry and live work with my 617. I hardly shoot my Buckmark anymore, and then only for fun...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The most fun gun I own. Period. (Good for practicing loose-round revolver reloads, too. If you can thumb rounds into those bitty deuce-deuce chambers without looking, you're good to go for real guns.)

The only thing that would be better is if I could find a Model 45, a fixed-sight .22 Military & Police made as a trainer for the Post Office and other .gov outfits. They're scarce and expensive but if I could find a good beater in the ~$500-$600 range, I would shoot the rifling out of it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Anyone have a trick for loading the mags without tearing up thumbs - or am I just a big wuss?
    Another trick is to use a loop of thin (window blind cord works great) cord. Loop one end on your belt and use the other end to pull the button.

TS Upper, IR Laser, Deltapoint, SilencerCo Sparrow SS
    President - Unity Tactical - Innovative. Adaptive. Decisive.

Quote Originally Posted by goteron View Post
    TS Upper, IR Laser, Deltapoint, SilencerCo Sparrow SS
    Irons don't lower-third co-witness. -100 Cool Points.

Quote Originally Posted by beastfrog View Post
    Another trick is to use a loop of thin (window blind cord works great) cord. Loop one end on your belt and use the other end to pull the button.
    I was going to say "get some callouses on your thumbs", but I reckon that'll work, too.

(Actually, that sounds like a pretty neat trick. I'm going to try it. Maybe these annoying callouses will go away. )

Great advice on the S&W .22 wheel gun. I just went and looked around, and found a 617 and 317 in my revolver stash.

After fondling both, I decided the 317's lighter weight to be an advantage, since my elbows are sore, especially my dominant right elbow, from so much shooting. I tweaked the zero on the 317, and proceeded to shoot 200 rounds, support hand only, at my 8 inch plates at 10-20 yards. Really good practice working the trigger between plates, and following through during the DA trigger pull. Between less concussion and the low cost of ammo, I can see doing a lot of this shooting.

Is the thought that lots of practice with the DA revolver translates over to shooting a Glock, despite the different trigger, or is there a concern that the trigger is different enough to cause issues?

I do a lot of shooting with a S&W Mdl 18 that I bought decades ago to understudy a Mdl 15. The Mdl 15 is long gone, but I can't imagine getting rid of the Mdl 18.

FWIW, I've not found that shooting a DA revolver caused any issues with shooting my Glocks or any other auto.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List