Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45: Purchase Trend?

Ruger 22/45: Purchase Trend?

Within the past several month, I've picked up on something interesting (to me, anyway): Myself and three other shooting friends (one enthusiast, one competitor, and one in the industry (and a competitor) have all picked up new Ruger 22/45s. What makes it interesting is that none of us had discussed 22/45s at all prior to us all getting them-it was one of those weird/fated confluences...Or something so blindingly obviously desirable as a shooting tool.

An obvious attraction is the ability to have an analog gun with which to practice inexpensively. Out of the 4 guns involved, two chose varients with the threaded barrel suitable for supressor use. I personally chose one of the TALO special edition guns, primarily because it alone combines adjustable sights with a 4.5" slab/semi-bull barrel (the spiffy Ruger-logoed grips were a nice aesthetic benefit, I'll admit). During my initial range session, I quickly noticed that there was an issue with magazine retention; after the initial shot, the magazine tended to drop slightly, precluding subsequent cartridges from chambering. Ruger immediately stepped up to the plate with a pre-paid shipping lable, and within 3 weeks I had the gun back, with the problem fully resolved.

The only change that I've made to mine to date is to add a set of the Pearce rubber fingergrooves. When Ruger transitioned from the MkII to the Mk III series, they also slimmed the receiver; while certainly viable out of the box, the Pearce fingergrooves slightly bulk up the frontstrap, adding grippability, comfort, and similarity to one of the platforms that I regularly shoot and carry-my Glocks. Out of the four of us that pretty muchj simultaneously purchased 22/45s, 3 of us added grip/grip enhancements-I went with the Pearce fingergrooves, another went with Hogue's rubber fingergroove and side panel grips, and another went with a set of Hogue's G10 grips.

In addition to having an inexpensive analog practice gun, I had forgotten just how much fun it is to shoot a good .22-the 22/45's exceptionally accurate, with a very nice trigger. I plan on more frequent live-fire drills/practice, and hope to see a concurrent gain in my skill set regarding my other carry/competition guns.

And yes-the Ruger 22/45 field-strip disassembly and reassembly is DEFINITELY an acquired skill-but there are some excellent videos and internet helps, and after doing it a time or to it becomes much easier-but plan on havin on hand a brass punch (or wood dowel), a rubber mallet, and a proportionately-sized hammer to use in conjunction with the punch/dowel...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-17-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Very cool.
    A 22/45 TB will definitely be my next purchase. One of my shooting buddies has one and it is a fantastic little pistol. I also love 22s.

May I ask either of you want attracted you to this Ruger if you already have a Glock? Why not get a AAR .22 conversion kit for the Glock??
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a 22/45 that I picked up basically NIB for 200 dollars. It was "used" but probably hadnt seen more than 50-100 rounds. Love it.

I prefer it over a conversion kit because unlike the kits, these things actually run well and tolerate dirt far better than the kit that I have for my 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    May I ask either of you want attracted you to this Ruger if you already have a Glock? Why not get a AAR .22 conversion kit for the Glock??
    I have a close friend who bought a brand new AA set for his also originally owned Gen 3 G17; he had, shall we say, less than steller expereinces with it. He was also unimpressed (and frustrated) with the company's aftermarket support. He sold it (making full disclosure) to another friend-who has has excellent experiences with it on his G17...

Others seem to either really, really love or really, really hate AA conversions for their Glocks. At the least, they seem to be a bit "base gun" sensitive. I'm personally a bit surprised that Glock themselves haven't made a .22 conversion kit to date-they'd probably sell an obscene amount of 'em.

On the other hand, the 22/45 fits the bill for providing an analog practice gun for a number of platforms for me-Glock, 1911, FN Hi Power, Ruger P89, Beretta 92 etc. (but particularly the first two mentioned). It's this flexibility, plus Ruger's reputation (and my own personal very favorable expereinces with Ruger over the years, both produce and after-market support wise) that facilitated the decision for me personally to go the 22/45 route.

Best, Jon

Thanks so much for your insight. Good luck with it.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Check out the Alumagrips I put on mine ...

They look and feel great.

I love the Ruger 22/45s but really, really wish I had my first one back. It shot better than the one pictured above. I think maybe I just haven't learned how to shoot these fixed sights as well yet.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I bought a bottom-of-the-line 4" fixed-sight 22/45 a few years ago. Best couple hundred bucks I ever spent on anything shooting related. I've put I-have-no-idea-how-many thousands of rounds through the thing.

It lives in my range bag and, thanks to the fixed sights, I don't have to worry about them getting knocked askew. I blacked out the rear dots of the 3-dot sights with a sharpie so it has the same sight picture as my big girl gun. It gets cleaned every four months (and by "cleaned" I mean chipping big chunks of carbon out of the receiver with a dental pick after hosing it out with brake cleaner.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Anyone have a trick for loading the mags without tearing up thumbs - or am I just a big wuss?

There are several gadgets on the market that help hold the magazine button down.

I found one of these in my local shop. Works fine. http://www.amazon.com/HKS-Caliber-Ri.../dp/B0013R9UOQ

User Tag List