Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Should I Be Doing At The Range?

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    Since the main reason I read shot timers suck is they pick up ambient shooters on indoor ranges.
    Heck, my Pact timer picks up 3-4 shots for every one that's actually fired when I'm ROing indoor matches due to all of the echoes off of the hard walls. Ultimately, that just means that everybody's recorded time on every stage is like + 0.25 second from reality, but since it's the same for everyone, it kind of doesn't matter too much. If you were trying to use a timer with people shooting on other lanes, though, yeah, none of them will work well except for the ShotMaxx watch, which has some sort of inertial sensor that it can use instead of the audio.

I assume the timer is stopping based on the sound of the dry trigger press "click" if it does work during it?
    Typically they're not sensitive enough for that. It's more common for people to set a par time on the timer for dry fire. Beep to start, and then you're supposed to have broken the "shot" before the second beep happens.

Do shot timers work during dry fire? I think I've seen some people using it for that, but wasn't sure how well it works or if all of them do it? I assume the timer is stopping based on the sound of the dry trigger press "click" if it does work during it?

I would like to time how long it takes to get holster out and first trigger press, so if I can use a shot timer for that, it might be worth it just for that one thing, even if it doesn't work (well) at indoor ranges.
    You have much to learn, grasshopper. . All you need is a par timer and some honesty for timed dry fire. Slo-mo self video is also helpful.

Start here:

Name:  51AanImfBdL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  38.1 KB
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

all of the research points to "all shot timers suck" except for one new one that might suck less.
    I have a CED 7000 and it doesn't suck. It does what it's supposed to do and hasn't broken in the five years of so I've had it. It rides in my range bag so while I don't abuse it, I also don't treat it like an egg.

It does occasionally pick up stray shots in indoor ranges but I don't care because I can count with the fingers of one hand the times I go to indoor ranges during the year.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-10-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Pocket Pro II has a sensitivity setting and works well for indoor matches, not going to discriminate against other indoor shooters though.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I want to put rounds on target as good and fast as I can. Doesn't matter to me the target. Self Defense, competition....my holster might be different, a spring might be different, but my goal is the same. AccurateFast. I don't train different

What to practice.

*Some people like to debate about what you'll need in a tactical situation.... vomit emoji here

On the range is not the time to debate low ready vs. temple index Or my favorite, which foot to put forward when turning a corner....(many a range time wasted on this topic) Range time, trigger time.

Tests are a good place to start. El Presidente is the most famous. IDPA Classifier, USPSA Classifiers, etc, etc, etc.

So shoot them, see where you are, compare yourself to top shooters, disect where they do better, disect it to draw, or transitions, or splits, etc.

Practice and train on what addresses that... The process of do, evaluate, repeat and/or adjust. If you are doing it good, do it again. If not, apply an adjustment...
    A71593

What Should I Be Doing At The Range?

Do shot timers work during dry fire?
    Yes. Mine does (AMG Commander.)

I use it to time my draws to the ‘click’ in Dry Practice all the time.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Lab-Shot-Timer
    Last edited by RJ; 03-11-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Burpees. Maximum burpess and nothing but burpees.

Guano beat me to it but just get a Stoeger dry fire book and then destroy the noobs who have no idea what they're doing.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List