Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-F consensus kn RATS Toirniquet?

P-F consensus on RATS Toirniquet?

I want to like these as they are super easy to carry but I have seen mixed reviews of them.

I know a former SF guy created it and some legit BTDT guys such as John Lovell and Evan Hafer have endorsed them and I have seen a few YT videos where the hooked someone up to a monitor and showed the tourniquet cutting off blood flow but.... You never know whos being paid to endorse stuff or if the vids are fake.

Some of my LE friends like them, some dont.

Opinions? Examples of real world use?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Warped Mindless; 03-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.

They are OK for some use, but not as consistently reliable as other options in medical testing.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

The combination of sub-par performance for what they're marketed to do, and incredibly deceptive marketing (e.g. relative to small children, dogs, and alleged shortfalls of other mainline TQs) practices make them a hard-pass for me.

Almost every advocate for them that I've met in-person and particularly at work regurgitates the ad copy near-verbatim, without any follow-up whatsoever.

---

From: https://web.archive.org/web/20150508...ts-tourniquet/

"Q: Is this TCCC approved?
    A: TCCC does not approve or deny any medical equipment for the military as it is no longer a function of the committee. Authority lies with the medical director of each area or jurisdiction. With that said, the R.A.T.S. is currently undergoing evaluation by TCCC. So far voting members of TCCC have tested and recommended the R.A.T.S. for use."

Though: https://www.itstactical.com/medcom/m...tccc-approval/

Q: Can this be used on children and K9s?
    A: Yes. The design of the R.A.T.S. allows for it to be used on smaller extremities where as current issued tourniquets, to include the CAT, SOF-T, and METTs, do not."

Yet: https://www.jems.com/articles/2018/1...iquet-use.html
    Last edited by runcible; 03-09-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

I've always been told that they're great to keep around for children or dogs, but for adult humans, they are far inferior to the SOFTT-W and CAT.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The most well studied tourniquets on the market are the North American Rescue CAT-T and the SOF Tactical Tourniquet (SOFTT). I don't see any reason to use anything else if given a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The most well studied tourniquets on the market are the North American Rescue CAT-T and the SOF Tactical Tourniquet (SOFTT). I don't see any reason to use anything else if given a choice.
    +1

I keep CAT TQ’s as my go to. I am planning to snag some Rats for use on my dogs though.

Which are more contentious? Tourniquet threads or dog threads?

They’re better than a gun belt...but not as good as a CAT or SOFT. I’d recommend a GI triangular bandage and an improvised windlass, if given the choice between the two. I demonstrate both with a Doppler in my med classes and it’s difficult to get consistent wraps and thus hemostasis with a RAT. Works as well as a bungee cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread with RATS comments, "whys", and caveats here: https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-15803.html
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List